The decomposition steps of castrating a cockerel ((GRAPHIC PICS!!!))

Does anyone know what breed of roosters these are?
Can you actually see the photos?? I and many others cannot.

As for the breed of chicken in the caponizing photos, they are what is called Three Yellow chicken, because as was explained to me by @chinese capons they have yellow feet and legs, yellow feathers, and yellow skin. I believe it is the main chicken raised in China.

66822e51623a2075a3e436b5d0ba4b3e.jpg

fe6fae406b79473543c130f5756e7ff2.jpg

These are pictures of the Three Yellow chickens. They were given to me by @chinese capons .

DSC0302401.jpg

This is a poulard......a castrated hen. It keeps its shorter legs, but develops the secondary sex characteristics of a rooster....it doesn't crow, though. A poulard is reported to be even better than a capon in terms of tenderness and flavor because it doesn't use its energy for egg development, but rather growth. They also have larger breasts relative to their size compared to capons. I just thought you might be interested in seeing it.

Last edited:
66822e51623a2075a3e436b5d0ba4b3e.jpg

fe6fae406b79473543c130f5756e7ff2.jpg

These are pictures of the Three Yellow chickens. They were given to me by @chinese capons .

DSC0302401.jpg

This is a poulard......a castrated hen. It keeps its shorter legs, but develops the secondary sex characteristics of a rooster....it doesn't crow, though. A poulard is reported to be even better than a capon in terms of tenderness and flavor because it doesn't use its energy for egg development, but rather growth. They also have larger breasts relative to their size compared to capons. I just thought you might be interested in seeing it.
How's that going for you? Got any plans for the pullets?

Thanks B C for letting me know .. its not just me.. not able to see photo's..
<and for answering my other post..>

How's that going for you? Got any plans for the pullets?

Linda, My failed attempts are laying, and I am planning on butchering all of them since they are crosses. Some of them, though, are actually pretty big. I am getting way too many eggs, so I will be . clearing them out.....hopefully they are still tender. I am hoping that with my new caponizing kit that I will have more success. I am considering sacrificing one of the pullets out of the next batch in order to dissect and evaluate the anatomy. If I do that, I will definitely make some pictures. Once the technique is perfected, it is actually said to be easier than caponizing. We'll see, I guess.

Linda, My failed attempts are laying, and I am planning on butchering all of them since they are crosses. Some of them, though, are actually pretty big. I am getting way too many eggs, so I will be . clearing them out.....hopefully they are still tender. I am hoping that with my new caponizing kit that I will have more success. I am considering sacrificing one of the pullets out of the next batch in order to dissect and evaluate the anatomy. If I do that, I will definitely make some pictures. Once the technique is perfected, it is actually said to be easier than caponizing. We'll see, I guess.

Definitely keep me in the loop.
big_smile.png

This is wonderful! I'm planning on learning to castrate the cockerels. In my opinion it is nicer than killing them very young. At least this way they get to grow up and experience some life. We're going to have hens and an intact rooster for breeding our own chicks (and getting a new rooster every year to avoid any inbreeding). And a seperate coop and run for the capons. I like the idea of them getting the chance to grow up and get to free range a bit. Killing a bird young isn't my thing. Once they're adults, sure. But other than practicing on dead cockerels, I want them to be able to live relatively full lives. But the caponizing will have to be done by me, not my fiance, since I have way steadier hands (I used to work fixing circuit cards).

Back
Top Bottom