The decomposition steps of castrating a cockerel ((GRAPHIC PICS!!!))

is this the tool set you use at your facility?
a1.jpg

I just found this thread, and WOW! We were planning to caponize some of our roosters this year but ended up just butchering most of them due to time constraints.

These are the best visual instructions I have seen anywhere! Now I know where to look next summer when we are ready to caponize the next batch.

There is an older thread about this. Your pictures are best but the first one in this thread shows exactly where to cut, which I found quite useful: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=2489274

I'm
more impressed with your technique. My favorite stool is one I made myself that's as short as the ones you use in the pictures you have in your link. Gets me close to the floor to work yet it's easier to get up than if I were really on the floor. And at closer to 60 than I care to think, I will be holding them with the feet just like you are. Course, not right away since I dont' have any baby roosters yet. But I've considered this before as what to do with extra roos in future hatches. I'll certainly be getting a set of those tools.

Those pictures make it look so easy.

I was researching caponing because I don't like growing the cornish rock crosses. So I am considering raising speckled sussex, and caponing the roosters for meat birds. My research has shown that they grow bigger that way. So this is helpful, I was initially turned off by the idea, but this makes it look easy. Practicing on a carcass sounds like a brilliant idea.

I do think step 4 is the key, though - making the incision in the right place!

Back
Top Bottom