The demise of honey bees

Honestly, from the stance of a hobby beekeeper, I feel like a lot of people don't actually understand how commercial beekeeping functions.

Quote:
You will suffer loses from pesticides. But as hobby keepers, we have had 0 loses that appear as result from pesticides.

You will suffer loses from mites. But most hobby keepers know to use stock of Russian/Russian-Mix origin as well as a screen bottom board to curb the effects of both Tracheal and Varroa.

But what I don't think many people realize are the problems with a lot of commercial apiaries. Many of them have no care as to what losses they suffer. The way they farm the bees leads to loss. Many of them go about farming with high yield honey producers that lack natural defense to mites. They medicate the hives, and the mites eventually reproduce for resistance. They truck the bees in to farms to pollinate crops covered in pesticides. They strip the hives of all the pollen and honey on a regular basis and it causes the bees to starve.

In general it is that irresponsible apiaries cause their own losses. As far as the drop in wild bees, that was brought on during the 90s when Varroa and Tracheal were still fresh to the US. Beekeepers exposed wild bees to mites. Most died out, but they did learn something from surviving colonies. The hives found in hollow trees, generally, survived mite infestation. When brood hatched, the mites fell to the ground inside the dead trees and were unable to hitch rides onto healthy bees to get to new larva.(thus the birth of screen bottom boards)

I think many need not worry about the extinction of bees, hobby beekeeping has exploded recently. It was at one point, a few years back, on a sharp decline. Primarily due to the lack of beekeepers willing to change their methods, or stick with the loss of hives with mites. But in the past 10 years Russian bees have been made available throughout the US and have greatly improved the outlook.

Last edited:
I keep my farm as clean chemical wise as possible to help the little buggers. We also capture and release any that get into the house. I also leave certain areas non brushhogged so they have some goldenrod for food. As far as Monarchs we do not weedwack milkweed. I get asked whats the deal with those weeds when then whole bank is immaculately weed wacked save the milkweed. Monarchs when mature also love the Mexican Torch flower, which we grow for them. Its sooo easy to grow, very pretty, and the butterflies are AWESOME. We try our best. We care very much about these beautiful little creatures.

I keep my farm as clean chemical wise as possible to help the little buggers. We also capture and release any that get into the house. I also leave certain areas non brushhogged so they have some goldenrod for food. As far as Monarchs we do not weedwack milkweed. I get asked whats the deal with those weeds when then whole bank is immaculately weed wacked save the milkweed. Monarchs when mature also love the Mexican Torch flower, which we grow for them. Its sooo easy to grow, very pretty, and the butterflies are AWESOME. We try our best. We care very much about these beautiful little creatures.
Goldenrod honey... blegh I don't know how some people, or bees, can stand the stuff.

Supposedly honey made with local flowers will help people with allergies. I'm not sure if there is any scientific basis to it or not though.

I have a beehive as well as the equipment to get started. I bought a few pounds of bees from a disreputable bee dealer here in Tennessee and got shafted. I kind of lost interest after that.

Canieldonrad, I appreciate your helpful advice and info! I had quit using pesticides on pretty much everything trying to save our bees and other critters a long time ago. But after two years of not getting any fruit I looked up how to self pollinate my own fruit trees and will try it next year when my fruit trees start to bud out if I don't see any bees!

Supposedly honey made with local flowers will help people with allergies. I'm not sure if there is any scientific basis to it or not though.

I have a beehive as well as the equipment to get started. I bought a few pounds of bees from a disreputable bee dealer here in Tennessee and got shafted. I kind of lost interest after that.
I'm not sure of how, or if honey/pollen relieves symptoms( I personally don't see it helping most people). But I would say if you wanted to try eat it from last years collection, 2 months prior to the blooms if you have specific allergies.

I'm not sure what part of Tennessee you are in but try Kelley Bees, they are by far the best in our part of the country(If you ask me).

https://kelleybees.com/

I have never had goldenrod honey, but I did have the misfortune of tasting some eucalyptus honey once. Tasted exactly like cough drops.

Back
Top Bottom