The Disadvantage of letting chickens Eat Maggots

Glenda L Heywood

Songster
10 Years
Apr 11, 2009
LIMBERNECK OR BOTULISUM
Glenda L Heywood

Limberneck (Botulism)-
Caused by toxins in decaying animal or vegetable matter. Botulism can also be contracted when the birds feed on fly maggots which have fed on such material. Symptoms: body weakness, inability to walk and a progressive paralysis. Birds are frequently seen lying with their necks stretched out in
front of them.

Symptoms usually show up within a few hours after ingestion of the material. Usually fatal within 24 hours if not promptly treated.

Pour one tablespoon of Epsom salts in a 1 cup of water and get as much down the bird's throat as possible (a plastic syringe with needle removed is a good tool). Botulism is most often a problem when dead birds are not
disposed of quickly and properly.

Fles that lay the eggs for maggots find dead flesh ideal territory for growing more flies ie: going thru the maggot stage first.

If treating a lot of birds use this
1 cup of epsom salts in 5 gallon bucket of water as only drinking source for three days.

You must clean up any places where birds or waterfowl can obtain maggots and nasty dirt

You can break it down to 1 tbsp per 2 qts of water
for just a few birds. Make as only water source for three days

after getting bird back on its feet so to speak health wise
then give
PROBIOTIC WET MASH
2 qts dry crumbles
4 qts of milk either fresh, sour, or buttermilk
(you can sour milk by adding 3 tbsp od apple cider vineager to gallon of milk, always store sour milk in frig till all used up)
feed three times first week then once a week for life of birds.

any added information or questions email me by PM. I will try and help

milk is very good for restoring the gut flora in a bird

In looking up about this long time ago is that the maggots may stay in the gut passages and cause some poison to the chicken

From
Usually this is because of a lack of vitamin B2 or vitamin E. Poison can also ... Chickens get sick when they peck at these carcasses, maggots or beetles, ...
www.nda.agric.za/docs/nervous/default.htm -

Nervous conditions
in poultry

WHAT ARE NERVOUS CONDITIONS?

Nervous signs occur when the brain, spinal cord or specific nerves are affected. Different organisms or poor feed can cause nervous signs in chickens. The most frequent nervous signs seen, are:

Chickens lying down because they are unable to stand.
Walking with difficulty as if in pain.
Necks twisted or turned to the side.
Staring into the air and not knowing where they are.
Shivering.
WHAT CAUSES THESE CONDITIONS?
Read complete information on these diseases on this site
Good clean management is advised to all chicken owners

The following diseases cause nervous conditions in poultry. They are listed in order of how frequently they occur.

Newcastle disease
Epidemic tremor
Marek's disease (range paralysis)
Botulism
Poor feed can also cause nervous signs. Usually this is because of a lack of vitamin B2 or vitamin E. Poison can also cause nervous signs. There are many pesticides that should not be used on or near poultry.

FEED AS A CAUSE OF NERVOUS CONDITIONS

A lack of vitamin E causes crazy chick disease. This occurs in chickens 2 to 3 weeks of age. Typical signs are muscular weakness: frequent falling, head and neck pulled towards the back, paralysis and eventual death because of starvation.

A lack of vitamin B2 (riboflavin) causes curled toe paralysis. This occurs in 10 to 14 day old chicks. A lack of this vitamin affects the nerves of the wings and legs. Typical signs are reduced growth rate: legs are stretched out, curling-in of toes, drooping head, wings and tail feathers.

Birds are still alert. The paralysis leads to death as a result of starvation. In early cases giving vitamin B2 in water leads to a rapid recovery.
In order to prevent these conditions you must make sure that you are feeding your poultry correctly (properly formulated chicken food).

This site is run byCompiled by Directorate Communication, Department of Agriculture
in cooperation with
ARC-Onderstepoort Veterinary Institute

I must say that everytime I see "Glenda L Heywood"; I am inclined to read your posts and am always so glad I did! You're a fount of information and one of the many reasons I'm so glad I joined this forum.
big_smile.png
Thanks for all the good info and keep it coming!!

Thank you so much
I learn so much every day from all you and never too old to learn
thanks for this wonderful groups of chicken lovers
I am going to find the gardening site here to use chicken manure and more

Quote:
The ones you usually get from the fishing shop are called waxworms or beemoths. I don't think they eat dead decaying stuff but if they do I haven't had any problems at all and they love them better than anything else.

I'm confused now.

Harvey ussery, who writes lots of articles on chickens and homesteading for Mother Earth News and Backyard Poultry magazines, harvests maggots for his chickens.

He stuffs beaver or groundhog carcasses into paint pails with holes in them and lets the flies lay eggs in it. The maggots crawl out of the holes he drills in them and his chickens wait by to gobble them up.

He wrote an article about it in one of the magazines.

He also has a hunting friend who throws the deer carcass out back and lets the chickens pick it clean.

Just how dangerous is this? It seems to me that in the wild, birds have been feeding from this kind of source for centuries.

Back
Top Bottom