The Duck Thread

I would say the left foot is a bumble.  I would treat all other skin breaks on both feet with clear iodine while treating the bumble.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/807777/bumblefoot-new-ideas-on-treatment-with-pictures

It looks like there are quite a few stab wounds.  Thorns and similar can be horrible on a duck's feet.  You might want to search the area and see if you can remove any of these kinds of hazards.  (In my case it is fallen Russian olive branches.)

I'll have to look and see what it is she could have been getting cut on!
1f622.png
Poor baby. Thank you for the info and advice! I appreciate it!

Thank you so much! So should I cut off or remove that black large scab then treat with clear iodine or neosporin? Or just treat with the iodine without removing the scab? Sorry so many questions!

No, don't cut it out... soak it first then see if you can gently work it out once it's nice and soft... the thread Tevye's Dad posted a link to has great instructions... it will most likely take a few days of treatments as well... be patient, it took time to get like that so it takes time to fix and heal... :)

No, don't cut it out... soak it first then see if you can gently work it out once it's nice and soft... the thread Tevye's Dad posted a link to has great instructions... it will most likely take a few days of treatments as well... be patient, it took time to get like that so it takes time to fix and heal... :)

Yes that thread from Tevye's Dad was great! I will definitely give it time and treat it and the other cuts with the clear iodine and soaks! Thank you again I appreciate it! I've been a worried momma!

Last edited:
hello friends! i haven't posted on here in forever but about a year ago i got a new cayuga duck to accompany my lonely call duck. they quickly became bffs and my call duck was significantly happier. a few weeks ago my call duck got very hurt, he hurt his hip a while ago so just figured that was acting up again, but he was hurt worse ever than before. we're working on getting him better so for most of the time because of the significant size different both of the ducks are in a cage but the call duck has a barrier around him so they can still see each other but they are separate so he can heal. a few days ago i let them together and once when i went to check on them the cayuga duck was on top of my call duck!!! i think it was a result of a fight which makes sense since they are both boys but this was probably the reason the call duck got hurt. Will they still be able to be together once he is completely healed??? They seem fine together when they are out and about but they fight when they are in closer quarters and i'm worried the call duck will continually get hurt

hello friends! i haven't posted on here in forever but about a year ago i got a new cayuga duck to accompany my lonely call duck. they quickly became bffs and my call duck was significantly happier. a few weeks ago my call duck got very hurt, he hurt his hip a while ago so just figured that was acting up again, but he was hurt worse ever than before. we're working on getting him better so for most of the time because of the significant size different both of the ducks are in a cage but the call duck has a barrier around him so they can still see each other but they are separate so he can heal. a few days ago i let them together and once when i went to check on them the cayuga duck was on top of my call duck!!! i think it was a result of a fight which makes sense since they are both boys but this was probably the reason the call duck got hurt. Will they still be able to be together once he is completely healed??? They seem fine together when they are out and about but they fight when they are in closer quarters and i'm worried the call duck will continually get hurt
If they do fine when out and about maybe for over night you can divide their house so they can still see each other but no fighting. I hope your lil Call makes a complete recovery.

@jcquincyduck

Hi everyone, I am trying to fix my ratios with my males and females. I recently added to muscovy females to my group of four with 2 male magpies and 1 male and female khaki campbell. The magpie males are being a bit jerky to the muscovies. I know they are a bit different in their behaviors. Has anyone had any trouble with muscovies and other duck breeds getting along?

Hi everyone, I am trying to fix my ratios with my males and females. I recently added to muscovy females to my group of four with 2 male magpies and 1 male and female khaki campbell. The magpie males are being a bit jerky to the muscovies. I know they are a bit different in their behaviors. Has anyone had any trouble with muscovies and other duck breeds getting along?
Is that now 3 boys and 3 girls??? I have 2 boys and 13 girls and one of my males acts jerky with that ratio. I think common thinking is 1:6 to 1:4 is the max ratio when you have multiples of both. (One of mine is just extra jerky). The size of your land has something to do with it. I think the two types of ducks can get along fine. @Miss Lydia

Is that now 3 boys and 3 girls??? I have 2 boys and 13 girls and one of my males acts jerky with that ratio. I think common thinking is 1:6 to 1:4 is the max ratio when you have multiples of both. (One of mine is just extra jerky). The size of your land has something to do with it. I think the two types of ducks can get along fine. @Miss Lydia
I have 2 drakes Muscovy and Runner each group stays in their own click My Muscovy pays no attention to the Runners or Buff females but my Runner is interested in my scovy girls. They def speak a different language. My scovy drake has 4 scovy females my Runner has 7 Runners and Buffs. They all share half fenced in acre but sleep in different houses at night. I am not sure my scovy females would ever warm up to a drake that isn't a Muscovy.

What your most likely seeing is just plain hormonal craziness since breeding season is getting under way full blown. As @Tevyes Dad said drakes can just be extra jerky no matter what breed. If you didn't let each group get use to each other and just set the muscovy's in with the rest it really does take a while for all to get use to the new ones they are looked at as outsides by the original flock.

Back
Top Bottom