The Duck Thread

I checked their nares and I can see all the way through but now they're both doing it D: the black one started doing it probably yesterday or the day before and my pekin today. Where can I get the apple cider vinegar from?
Normal behavior honest.. and yes try not to pick them up just sit with them. they are prey remember.

And have you checked out the nares to make sure no blockage? can you see all the way through? any other symptoms and how long has this been going on?  do you have some ACV? Apple Cider Vinegar? unpasteurized is best but reg will work till you can get some, put 1-2 tab to 1 gallon of water and offer. It is so good for helping with immune system.

Okay, my mallard and pekin females are supposed to be laying in October, that's when they will be 6 months old. But with the day light decreasing in October. Will they still lay? Or will it be until spring when the day light starts to increase again??

Thank you Miss Lydia
frow.gif
I got some of the dried meal worms today and offered a few just on the ground... o m g they went nuts. I will try that again tonight to see if I have any better luck getting them into the house.

This morning I put out a couple of pieces of watermelon rinds leftover from last night. I had them cut into triangular pieces (quartered a small watermelon, then cut each quarter in half) and laid them out by their water and feed before I let them out of the coop. Well, apparently triangular pieces of watermelon that still have some red flesh on them look a lot like predatory mouths coming out of the ground, lol. They gave them a VERY wide berth for most of the day, until finally the one that seems to be a little braver than the others (always the first one to try anything) came just close enough that s/he could just stretch her head over and take a cautious nibble. It took a while for the others to realize she hadn't been eaten and in fact was chowing down as fast as she could, and then they were all crowding around to get some.

They have taken to coming over to the fence and peeping at me as if to ask for treats every once in a while through the day. How can I resist those bright little inquisitive eyes?

I checked their nares and I can see all the way through but now they're both doing it D: the black one started doing it probably yesterday or the day before and my pekin today. Where can I get the apple cider vinegar from?
What kind of bedding are they on? have you checked for mold? you can buy unpasteurized ACV at most grocery stores and health food stores.

Thank you Miss Lydia
frow.gif
I got some of the dried meal worms today and offered a few just on the ground... o m g they went nuts. I will try that again tonight to see if I have any better luck getting them into the house.

This morning I put out a couple of pieces of watermelon rinds leftover from last night. I had them cut into triangular pieces (quartered a small watermelon, then cut each quarter in half) and laid them out by their water and feed before I let them out of the coop. Well, apparently triangular pieces of watermelon that still have some red flesh on them look a lot like predatory mouths coming out of the ground, lol. They gave them a VERY wide berth for most of the day, until finally the one that seems to be a little braver than the others (always the first one to try anything) came just close enough that s/he could just stretch her head over and take a cautious nibble. It took a while for the others to realize she hadn't been eaten and in fact was chowing down as fast as she could, and then they were all crowding around to get some.

They have taken to coming over to the fence and peeping at me as if to ask for treats every once in a while through the day. How can I resist those bright little inquisitive eyes?
Already a break through, and you can never be to careful when watermelon is laying on the ground you may get gobbled up. BUT it turned out to be just the opposite.
big_smile.png
Looking forward to hearing how bedtime went.

What kind of bedding are they on? have you checked for mold? you can buy unpasteurized ACV at most grocery stores and health food stores.

They're on pine shavings I change them every day after they've been put in their pen. I haven't really checked but I never noticed any mold. As for the ACV there's a health food store near where I work so maybe I'll check there :) also they seemed a little better this morning so hopefully the ACV will clear whatever is left :)

They're on pine shavings I change them every day after they've been put in their pen. I haven't really checked but I never noticed any mold. As for the ACV there's a health food store near where I work so maybe I'll check there
smile.png
also they seemed a little better this morning so hopefully the ACV will clear whatever is left
smile.png
I hope so too, can you think of anything that has changed that you are doing? and what about your temps? very hot and humid where you are? just trying to get an idea of what it may be. Glad to hear they are some better. I doubt you'd find mold if your changing the shaving daily.

I hope so too, can you think of anything that has changed that you are doing? and what about your temps? very hot and humid where you are? just trying to get an idea of what it may be. Glad to hear they are some better. I doubt you'd find mold if your changing the shaving daily.

I live in SC so it can get a little hot (I'm originally from FL lol) but it stays pretty cool in my house. I'll try to find some ACV today and let you know what happens tomorrow once they've had some :)

I live in SC so it can get a little hot (I'm originally from FL lol) but it stays pretty cool in my house. I'll try to find some ACV today and let you know what happens tomorrow once they've had some
smile.png
I live in NC and am originally from Fl. Ha ha look forward to hearing from you, and try not to worry if your not seeing anymore symptoms. Eating well? active?

I live in NC and am originally from Fl. Ha ha look forward to hearing from you, and try not to worry if your not seeing anymore symptoms. Eating well? active?

Lol definitely! Sometimes they resemble little piggies :) Tibbles likes to dive under the water sometimes also, it's adorable!

Back
Top Bottom