The Duck Thread

Hi everybody! I'm new to ducks, I have a whole herd of chickens though. Lol. My husband got me four ducks (and 13 chickens) as my anniversary present ( I know, sooo romantic) and I honestly have no idea what to do with them! They have a pool, but they're currently housed with my chickens. Can I free range them with the chickens? I stopped at TSC today and was told to get flock raiser because it has more of the B vitamins ducks need than the layer feed. Is this correct? The duckies are adorable, and I definately wanted to get some, but I REALLY wanted to do more research before actually getting them. And on top of everything else, all but one of them still has fluff on their backs and bums so I have no idea if these are male or female. I will try to get some pics up tomorrow, if it ever stops raining.
Flock raiser is good food I use it and others on here also. How old are the ducks?

Hello all! We are first timers to duck ownership. We have had our sweet girls since they hatched May 1st, now 3 months old. We have 2 welsh and 2 khaki's and next week 2 lovely runners that will be hatching! Yay! We live in Virginia and I want to do 2 things in order to be properly prepared. I want a duck first aid kit and a number for an experienced Vet that we can call. Can anyone help? We are located near the panhandle of WV can be in harpers ferry wv in minutes, Frederick md in 30 minutes, leesburg va in 45 minutes. Can anyone suggest a Vet and/or provide a list for a first aid kit? Thanks!
http://members3.boardhost.com/shilala/msg/1140567112.top
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/210271/first-aid-kit-contents

Last edited:
Flock raiser is good food I use it and others on here also. How old are the ducks?
I'm not sure, my husband bought them and didn't ask.
barnie.gif
They have all their breast and winf feathering but still have fluff on their backs and bums. They are roughly the size of wild mallard females currently and they eat almost as much as my cornish cross.

I'm not sure, my husband bought them and didn't ask.
barnie.gif
They have all their breast and winf feathering but still have fluff on their backs and bums. They are roughly the size of wild mallard females currently and they eat almost as much as my cornish cross.
Are they domestic mallards or another breed? probably somewhere in the 5-6 week range.

Are they domestic mallards or another breed? probably somewhere in the 5-6 week range.
you might enjoy this link.. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/242460/the-ultimate-list-of-duck-treats-and-supplements

depending on how long you've had them I'd say they can be out free ranging as long as they don't range too far, ducks like chickens are sitting targets for predators on the ground and in the sky so until older I'd keep them fairly close to the house. and ducks unlike chickens that will run for cover if alarmed will just sit out in the open and look around.

Last edited:
Hello everyone! I've been thinking the last week and have come to a very sad decision :( I've been picking up a lot of hours at work lately and don't have as much time to spend with or care for my babies as I know they deserve.... So if anyone has or knows someone with duckies of their own near Pelion, SC where I live and is willing to give my babies a new home I'd be very grateful. They are about 7 weeks, one is a Peking and one is a little black cross breed (I think). Here's a picture of Tibbles and Squibbles:

Back
Top Bottom