The Duck Thread

I used old towels.  What is your water setup?

I'm using towels right now till I can find something else. They have a gallon water jug with a hole cut in it big enough so they can dunk their head.

I use flake pine shavings, they aren't tiny like fine shaving and the ducklings aren't as apt to try and eat them. This flake bedding is actually for horses but works great for duckling/ducks/ geese/ chickens. since I have them all.

I'm gonna have to try that out. I've decided to get them their own house (they were gonna be in the barn with the chickens but they are on sand & I'm not willing to switch what they are on) so I'm hoping once they are big enough to go to their big girl house and they won't have any food or water in their house I won't have such a issue with bedding.

I'm using towels right now till I can find something else. They have a gallon water jug with a hole cut in it big enough so they can dunk their head.
I'm gonna have to try that out. I've decided to get them their own house (they were gonna be in the barn with the chickens but they are on sand & I'm not willing to switch what they are on) so I'm hoping once they are big enough to go to their big girl house and they won't have any food or water in their house I won't have such a issue with bedding.
Once you can remove the food and water it does get easier, honest. Try deep littler it works great.
Now we need to see pics of the lil messer uppers
pop.gif

What do you all do during the winter for your duck's water? I am thinking of moving my ducks' little house up closer to the chicken coop to access electricity and get an electric dog-style water bowl for them. They won't be able to get in it and splash around like they can now in their three watering troughs but not much I can do about that.

This is the duck house. The area to the right of the nest is the door that swings up.

There's electric in the coop and I thught I could run a cord to underneath the coop where I could put the duck's water bowl. You can't see it too good here, but the coop is off the ground 3' so the ducks could get under the coop for protection and then access the electric water bowl.
Just curious what other people do for their ducks in the winter that don't have an area for them to get in completely out of the weather. I imagine they'll miss their swimming "pools" in the winter but I can't do much to resolve that. Just concerned about keeping them a bowl of water which they have a tendency to muddy up very quickly.

Last edited:
What do you all do during the winter for your duck's water? I am thinking of moving my ducks' little house up closer to the chicken coop to access electricity and get an electric dog-style water bowl for them. They won't be able to get in it and splash around like they can now in their three watering troughs but not much I can do about that.

This is the duck house. The area to the right of the nest is the door that swings up.

There's electric in the coop and I thught I could run a cord to underneath the coop where I could put the duck's water bowl. You can't see it too good here, but the coop is off the ground 3' so the ducks could get under the coop for protection and then access the electric water bowl.
Just curious what other people do for their ducks in the winter that don't have an area for them to get in completely out of the weather. I imagine they'll miss their swimming "pools" in the winter but I can't do much to resolve that. Just concerned about keeping them a bowl of water which they have a tendency to muddy up very quickly.
I have 2gal and 5 gal. heated water buckets for my flock. they work real well. TSC carries them. I use piece of 4X4's as a step for them to use the 2 gal. the 5 gal is for my geese so no step for that one. Swimming happens here when temps get into upper 30's they get to wash in their cemet rubber mixing tub.

Last edited:
I was hoping it would get easier once they didn't have food and water at night.

They are bigger now but I don't have a current one on my phone. They sure do love to make messes tho!

I was hoping it would get easier once they didn't have food and water at night.

They are bigger now but I don't have a current one on my phone. They sure do love to make messes tho!
They are adorable, and yep messy is their middle name. actually first and last too... Messy Messy Messy
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom