The Duck Thread

Any ideas on encouraging a duck to lay in a clean spot. My 5.5m old just started laying and likes to put them right around the kiddy pools where they get dirty!
Do you have a special place inside the coop for laying? private? when they first start laying they just plop them out anywhere but soon they begin to recognize the feeling and search out a nice quiet spot to lay.

Does this first aid kit apply to ducks too? I know there are some things safe for chickens but not ducks. Also, new issue! Black tarry poo for several days now and very stinky! All 4 ducks appear in good shape but this poo is going on longer than usual. Could they have an infection, parasite, gut imbalance? The are getting flock raiser feed daily, fresh water all day. My kids enjoy finding bugs and feeding them such as crickets, grasshoppers, beetles, moths, and so on. They eat them and seem to enjoy. What's going on with the ongoing stinky tarry and liquid poop?
Could be something they are eating, ducks have many different poos depending on what they have eaten and boy can it stink. As long as they are acting fine eating normal and other wise healthy I don't think there is any need to worry.

Last edited:
Does this first aid kit apply to ducks too? I know there are some things safe for chickens but not ducks. Also, new issue! Black tarry poo for several days now and very stinky! All 4 ducks appear in good shape but this poo is going on longer than usual. Could they have an infection, parasite, gut imbalance? The are getting flock raiser feed daily, fresh water all day. My kids enjoy finding bugs and feeding them such as crickets, grasshoppers, beetles, moths, and so on. They eat them and seem to enjoy. What's going on with the ongoing stinky tarry and liquid poop?
There is a first aid kit sticky at the top of the duck forum, try that.

Stinky tarry poo may be due at least in part to extra protein in the diet, but it could be related to an infection or imbalance. I would start by taking a few days off any extras, just stick with the flock raiser. I would also give them a vitamin-electrolyte-probiotic in the water for a couple of days. If that does not clear it up, you may want to have a fecal sample analyzed to see if it's parasites or bacteria.

i have 2 5.5 month old pekins who havnt started yet or not that i know of. How do i tell when they are laying?

i have 2 5.5 month old pekins who havnt started yet or not that i know of. How do i tell when they are laying?
They can be pretty sneaky so if you use bedding you may have to rake through it also hiding places. Under ramps, house, under shrubs. if it can be gotten under they will find a way. Some will keep their layers locked up till a certain hr. in the mornings, usually by 9am all have laid of my ducks.

Last edited:
I have 3 3 week old ducks, I've tried sand and straw for bedding and none of it is working out real well. What do you guys use for bedding? Thanks for the help

I have 3 3 week old ducks, I've tried sand and straw for bedding and none of it is working out real well. What do you guys use for bedding? Thanks for the help
I use flake pine shavings, they aren't tiny like fine shaving and the ducklings aren't as apt to try and eat them. This flake bedding is actually for horses but works great for duckling/ducks/ geese/ chickens. since I have them all.

Back
Top Bottom