The Duck Thread

The past 2 nights I went to lock up my chickens & ducks & the ducks were... asleep/awake not sure cause it was pitch black out...in their kiddie pool.
The chickens & ducks share a coop & I had to put the ducks to bed all wet...the dampness in the coop isn't good for my chickens...question is can I leave them to sleep in the pool? Is there anything wrong / bad with leaving them in the water over night? (The run is 98% predator proof...i say 98 because the top is just bird netting but knock on wood in the past 2 years since I constructed it I never had a predator get in)

Your taking a big chance leaving them outside bird netting if a raccoon wanted in bad enough wouldn't stop him minks either. and if your ducks get out and lay along the fence depending on what kind of fencing you have can get pulled through fencing and mutilated I'd either give them their own house or make them get out of the pool earlier so they dry off before bed. I know that isn't so easy when their pool is inside the run. you could always cover the pool with a tarp late afternoon.

Last edited:
The past 2 nights I went to lock up my chickens & ducks & the ducks were... asleep/awake not sure cause it was pitch black out...in their kiddie pool.
The chickens & ducks share a coop & I had to put the ducks to bed all wet...the dampness in the coop isn't good for my chickens...question is can I leave them to sleep in the pool? Is there anything wrong / bad with leaving them in the water over night? (The run is 98% predator proof...i say 98 because the top is just bird netting but knock on wood in the past 2 years since I constructed it I never had a predator get in)

Your taking a big chance leaving them outside bird netting if a raccoon wanted in bad enough wouldn't stop him minks either. and if your ducks get out and lay along the fence depending on what kind of fencing you have can get pulled through fencing and mutilated I'd either give them their own house or make them get out of the pool earlier so they dry off before bed. I know that isn't so easy when their pool is inside the run. you could always cover the pool with a tarp late afternoon.

Miss Lydia is a wealth of knowledge and I do not disagree with her here, but I will admit that my ducks run is not covered and they do sleep in their pool sometimes. I dont advise it, but I allow it because my area is pretty safe (I know there is always that possibility) and I have dogs that keep predators away. Granted, if a predator wants in, they are getting in. But for me, the ducks are happier out. When not in the pool, they usually congregate and sleep on the side of the run which is in the center of my yard, not around the outside edge. They have a covered inside corner area with straw and large rocks they like to bed on.
That being said, my ducks will eventually go to my farm with a large pond and floating dock. So I guess I am training them to be out, a little more on their own.

Your taking a big chance leaving them outside bird netting if a raccoon wanted in bad enough wouldn't stop him minks either. and if your ducks get out and lay along the fence depending on what kind of fencing you have can get pulled through fencing and mutilated I'd either give them their own house or make them get out of the pool earlier so they dry off before bed. I know that isn't so easy when their pool is inside the run. you could always cover the pool with a tarp late

My gut said not to leave them out but wanted other opinions. I live in a residential area but im sure we have raccoons at least. I have hardware cloth burried & up fencing about 1-2 feet each way but im thinking kicking them out & covering pool probably best. Thanks :)

My gut said not to leave them out but wanted other opinions. I live in a residential area but im sure we have raccoons at least. I have hardware cloth burried & up fencing about 1-2 feet each way but im thinking kicking them out & covering pool probably best. Thanks :)

Probably the best bet, but I wanted to point out my own "bad parenting" lol

what could be the problem with my duck out of all her egg none grow veins when candled. One started forming veins this is it now. Any feed back would be appreciated

Last edited:
Every day I'm thankful for my life. We don't live big, but we have what we need and a few things we want. I woke up this morning and went out to feed my ducks, sitting next to my feed barrels was two full bags of duck food! I didn't buy them.... Evidently my neighbors have been coming over to check on my dad while I'm at work (he has severe epilepsy) and my dad told me that one of them brought the food. Just because. Truly thankful for the people in my life!

Last edited:
Every day I'm thankful for my life. We don't live big, but we have what we need and a few things we want. I woke up this morning and went out to feed my ducks, sitting next to my feed barrels was two full bags of duck food! I didn't buy them.... Evidently my neighbors have been coming over to check on my dad while I'm at work (he has severe epilepsy) and my dad told me that one of them brought the food. Just because. Truly thankful for the people in my life!
What sweet neighbors.

Wow! That's so sweet. But you seem like such a sweetheart yourself, it doesn't surprise me that you have wonderful people in your life!

Back
Top Bottom