The Duck Thread

Mission escape tractor supply with no ducklings......FAILED!

Meet our new runner babies Cinder and Ember (Fawn and white I'm thinking?)

Ember

Cinder
Very cute
love.gif

I will tell you all my secret to getting out of the feed stores duck free... I picture there is a hatchery someplace and per 100 ducks, 30 are ordered sexed (F), 2 are ordered sexed (M), and 36 are ordered straight run and the feed stores get what is left. 100 - 36 straight run leaves 64 let's say 32 each M & F - if you subtract the sexed ducks you end up with 30 drakes and 2 ducks. There is no way I am buying out of that bin. Now I am sure this is not how it works, but it keeps me from breaking down.
wink.png

I adopted a duck with one eye. The eye is not there. It's watery and does not look infected. I had him with a hen I also adopted and all was well. After a month of quarantine I introduced him to the flock. I thought they were all getting along. Then one day I noticed the other eye was damaged. Not sure if he was pecked but it looks bad. Now I have a totally blind duck. I'm so sad for him. Does anyone know if this could be a disease? Or just bad luck. How do I take care of the eye, or where the eye was. Any thoughts?

Can someone tell me how to calculate 2.8% of ounces? Did I ask that correctly? I have an egg that weighed 1.4oz and when i weighed it the next time, it weighed 1.3oz. what is the % of this weight loss? Do i have to convert my ounces to grams and then multiply by what?
Can anyone help me out? The quote below is from:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/incubating-and-hatching-muscovy-eggs

"If the eggs loose less weight than 2.8% every week, it means that the humidity is too high. If the eggs loose more than 2.8% every week, it means that the humidity is too low."

Thank you very much

Can someone tell me how to calculate 2.8% of ounces? Did I ask that correctly? I have an egg that weighed 1.4oz and when i weighed it the next time, it weighed 1.3oz. what is the % of this weight loss? Do i have to convert my ounces to grams and then multiply by what?
Can anyone help me out? The quote below is from:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/incubating-and-hatching-muscovy-eggs

"If the eggs loose less weight than 2.8% every week, it means that the humidity is too high. If the eggs loose more than 2.8% every week, it means that the humidity is too low."

Thank you very much

Subtract your current weight from the starting weight. Divide that by starting weight and then multiply by 100 for your % wt. loss.

@Wobbles
You might want to check with your TSC. Ask if they get their stock from Mt Healthy Hatchery. There is a thread started about a salmonella outbreak traced to Mt Healthy Hatchery. I do not believe all TSCs order from them. Good luck, wanted to give you heads up before you introduce those cuties to your flock or the new ducklings coming.
Linda

Very cute
love.gif

I will tell you all my secret to getting out of the feed stores duck free... I picture there is a hatchery someplace and per 100 ducks, 30 are ordered sexed (F), 2 are ordered sexed (M), and 36 are ordered straight run and the feed stores get what is left. 100 - 36 straight run leaves 64 let's say 32 each M & F - if you subtract the sexed ducks you end up with 30 drakes and 2 ducks. There is no way I am buying out of that bin. Now I am sure this is not how it works, but it keeps me from breaking down.
wink.png
Yea, I was afraid of the same thing. I got my ducklings from Ideal Poultry in Cameron, all hens. Drove 2 hours to get the babies in the POURING rain! Now that's dedication!!! My husband thought I was crazy!

@Wobbles
You might want to check with your TSC. Ask if they get their stock from Mt Healthy Hatchery. There is a thread started about a salmonella outbreak traced to Mt Healthy Hatchery. I do not believe all TSCs order from them. Good luck, wanted to give you heads up before you introduce those cuties to your flock or the new ducklings coming.
Linda
Thanks for the heads up! We actually did ask today, these guys come from Hoover hatchery.

How old would you say these guys are? Very stressed out about this situation, a friend of mine took them thinking they were abandoned. Then asked me to take them to care for them. I've rang RSPCA and other such places and they just kept sending me back and forth to one another. The last lad I spoke to told me to look after them until they're old enough to be released back into the wild but this means special treatment so they'll be able to look after themselves when they are old enough. I have a heat lamp, but not sure what temperature to set it at as i haven't a clue how old they are. Feel really sad that they were taken away from the mama duck and it's too late to take them back as he has had them for a few days. I hope I can either find a professional (have been trying) or am able myself to get them to where they need to be as wild mallards.

Back
Top Bottom