The Duck Thread

Hey guys. I got a few ducks and was unable to integrate them into my pre existing group of ducks. Their was a size difference and they were much older then the first time I integrated. Plus I'm pretty sure 2 were boys and my drakes didn't like it. I need to add a few more females still to balance things out. Do you think it's easier to add females then it is boys. We have 5 girls and 3 boys right now. I would like to add 3 more girls.
smile.png
It will still take some time to integrate no matter the sex. So living side by side is the best way and for ever long it takes some a week some longer. Ducks have their own time table. Hope it all goes well. @jenniferlamar70

It will still take some time to integrate no matter the sex. So living side by side is the best way and for ever  long it takes some a week some longer. Ducks have their own time table.  Hope it all goes well. @jenniferlamar70

Lol thanks. We actually just integrated 8 ancona and it went really well. There was a bit of picking on the littles but it really went pretty smoothly. The 3 we had got were supposed to be females but turned out to be 2 boys and when we introduced them this time it didn't go so smoothly. That's the only reason I wondered about age and sex. :) either way we need more females so it has to be done. I will be glad though to have everyone settled and done with integrating lol. :)

Lol thanks. We actually just integrated 8 ancona and it went really well. There was a bit of picking on the littles but it really went pretty smoothly. The 3 we had got were supposed to be females but turned out to be 2 boys and when we introduced them this time it didn't go so smoothly. That's the only reason I wondered about age and sex. :) either way we need more females so it has to be done. I will be glad though to have everyone settled and done with integrating lol. :)

I wish I had had a talk with my girl duck before she hatched the lings. I meant to tell her "all girls!" but it is looking like she gave me 5 boys and 3 girls. Not positive yet, I'm sure hoping I'm wrong. :/

Lol thanks. We actually just integrated 8 ancona and it went really well. There was a bit of picking on the littles but it really went pretty smoothly. The 3 we had got were supposed to be females but turned out to be 2 boys and when we introduced them this time it didn't go so smoothly. That's the only reason I wondered about age and sex.
smile.png
either way we need more females so it has to be done. I will be glad though to have everyone settled and done with integrating lol.
smile.png
It's much harder to integrate drakes into an existing flock with drake/drakes already there. Or it won't work at all as you found out. I hope this next time you try to integrate it goes much smoother.

I wish I had had a talk with my girl duck before she hatched the lings. I meant to tell her "all girls!" but it is looking like she gave me 5 boys and 3 girls. Not positive yet, I'm sure hoping I'm wrong. :/

Hang in there. I thought we hatched out all boys. It turned out we hatched all girls and only 2 boys. I was so sure lol. Good luck and definitely give it time. :)

It's much harder to integrate drakes into an existing flock with drake/drakes already there. Or it won't work at all as you found out.  I hope this next time you try to integrate it goes much smoother.

Thanks. The breeder was really nice and let us return the 3 ducks. We are going to order sexed ducks this time to make sure we get females. This will be the last we get and our flock should be complete. I think the earlier we try to Integrate the easier it will be. :)

Hang in there. I thought we hatched out all boys. It turned out we hatched all girls and only 2 boys. I was so sure lol. Good luck and definitely give it time.
smile.png

Thanks. The breeder was really nice and let us return the 3 ducks. We are going to order sexed ducks this time to make sure we get females. This will be the last we get and our flock should be complete. I think the earlier we try to Integrate the easier it will be.
smile.png
You just want to let the ducklings get at least adult size so they won't get picked on too badly

You just want to let the ducklings get at least adult size so they won't get picked on too badly

It may not work with all but ours seemed to except the ducklings better then the adults. Of coarse we supervise everything and would never let our ducks hurt each other. But when we integrated our recent hatcb they were 10 weeks old and it took time but went much better then when we tried to ad the adults. :)

That's about the age of the duckling I just introduced was. Went over without a hitch. Of course I have only girls and they were wanting a boy. So it's a lil different. But it did integrate with the chickens fairly well. Big enough to stand up for itself some but not so big it didn't back down from dominate rooster and chickens.

It may not work with all but ours seemed to except the ducklings better then the adults. Of coarse we supervise everything and would never let our ducks hurt each other. But when we integrated our recent hatcb they were 10 weeks old and it took time but went much better then when we tried to ad the adults. :)

Back
Top Bottom