The Duck Thread

No luck with #3 or #4. It was stormy here this morning so I'm not sure if #3 was here. I'm hoping the rain washes what ever the bug is away
idunno.gif

How do you make the flush?? How do you give it to them?? Sounds like something I need to know.

Mandy
Epsom Salt Flush:
3 Tsp. Epsom Salts.
1 ½ Cups water
¼ – ½ gram vitamin and electrolyte powder * Optional
2 – 3 times a day for 3 days or until a full recovery is made.

The below is from @casportpony 's link https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...rgency-and-supportive-care-updated-10-30-2016
* Please note the image is Craig Hopkins', http://www.hopkinslivestock.com/peafowl.htm
LL

I gave a couple of doses as illustrated above and the rest was just in their water.
#1 is doing 90% better. I put her in some water today to bathe and she had a blast. She is using both of her legs now. #2 is using one leg. #3 was here this evening but I didn't get a chance to try and catch her before she flew off to the tank. #3 never lost the use of both legs.

Last edited:
Epsom Salt Flush:
3 Tsp. Epsom Salts.
1 ½ Cups water
¼ – ½ gram vitamin and electrolyte powder * Optional
2 – 3 times a day for 3 days or until a full recovery is made.

The below is from @casportpony 's link https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...rgency-and-supportive-care-updated-10-30-2016
* Please note the image is Craig Hopkins', http://www.hopkinslivestock.com/peafowl.htm
LL

I gave a couple of doses as illustrated above and the rest was just in their water.
#1 is doing 90% better. I put her in some water today to bathe and she had a blast. She is using both of her legs now. #2 is using one leg. #3 was here this evening but I didn't get a chance to try and catch her before she flew off to the tank. #3 never lost the use of both legs.
Thanks!

Hello! I am thinking of getting my first flock of 4 ducks :) I definitely want to get 2 Pekins but I need suggestions on what to get for the other 2?!? They will be for pets and eggs are a plus. I also prefer them to be around the same size as the Pekins. I live in nys so the winters can get pretty chilly and snowy so cold hardy is a must and they need to be friendly ! All info appreciated:)

First I would suggest you get only females. Unless you want to hatch ducklings there is no need for the males. Females will lay just as many, if not more, eggs on their own.

Now, I am partial to my Cayugas and my Khaki Campbells. I also have Blue Swedish which are alright but not anywhere near as friendly or funny as the others. Just my opinion.

Enjoy your ducks.

Hello! I am thinking of getting my first flock of 4 ducks
smile.png
I definitely want to get 2 Pekins but I need suggestions on what to get for the other 2?!? They will be for pets and eggs are a plus. I also prefer them to be around the same size as the Pekins. I live in nys so the winters can get pretty chilly and snowy so cold hardy is a must and they need to be friendly ! All info appreciated:)
First I would suggest you get only females. Unless you want to hatch ducklings there is no need for the males. Females will lay just as many, if not more, eggs on their own.

Now, I am partial to my Cayugas and my Khaki Campbells. I also have Blue Swedish which are alright but not anywhere near as friendly or funny as the others. Just my opinion.

Enjoy your ducks.
X2 Khaki Campbells are friendly and excellent layers. Have you considered Mucovies? They are much quieter than ducks.

X2  Khaki Campbells are friendly and excellent layers.  Have you considered Mucovies?  They are much quieter than ducks.

Enjoy your ducks.

Thank you for the replies! I don't really like the look of muscovies :// Cayugas do interest me tho. Are they the same size as Pekins? Does anybody have any experience with rouens?

Back
Top Bottom