The EE braggers thread!!!

Really? I thought they did...I know skunks are bad about carrying it. A few weeks ago we were having a problem with some getting under the house and one night hubby saw one walking around in the yard.  Before I could say anything, he had the shotgun out and blasted it. Folks, if there's one piece of advice I could give those of you new to country living, it would be to NEVER shoot a skunk :sick   Invest in a live trap for goodness sake lol!

You can shoot a skunk without the stink, but ya better hit in the head before he see's you

Yeah :p. I love their little beards!
I ordered 2 this year, but the chipmunk one with a beard died when it was about 3 weeks old, and the other is pure white without a beard... then I have one 1 1/2 year old chipmunk one, Fern. She lays green eggs ;P

Hello, all you EE lovers- 1st time poster here on this thread. I'm looking to add a couple EEs to my flock next, but really want them to be mostly white/light feathered. Does anyone have pix of what color day-old chicks to look for to get white or mostly white adult? I would assume yellow, but wasn't sure if EEs were different? If I'm picking from a group of chicks, I just want to have the best odds I can. Thanks- Jenni

Here's some pics of my bantam pullet, Tulip, dust bathing!
big_smile.png

Hello, all you EE lovers- 1st time poster here on this thread. I'm looking to add a couple EEs to my flock next, but really want them to be mostly white/light feathered. Does anyone have pix of what color day-old chicks to look for to get white or mostly white adult? I would assume yellow, but wasn't sure if EEs were different? If I'm picking from a group of chicks, I just want to have the best odds I can. Thanks- Jenni

We have a couple pure white EEs, one more bearded than the other. I've been searching through the baby photos to see if I can tell which ones ended up all white, and I think you're right ... the little yellow puffballs. There is also one with a white body and gray head that really stood out as a chick and is a very lovely bird now (white tail, gray head, some pale yellow through front of body). The chick in my profile photo is easy to pick out of the flock as she has the same beard now, but more of a pheasant coloring through the body and a dark tail. The others are honey/golden color with a few darker feathers through the tail and had darker spots/stripes as chicks. Up through teenagers, the pure white EEs were hard to tell apart from the white leghorns ... we had to look at the legs (green on EEs, yellow on LH).

Probably also of importance... The following chicks are from Estes Hatchery... sold as "Ameracaunas".
roll.png

#1: The blueish grey one. A little darker on top and pale on the belly. "She" has a little bit of orangey brown on her forehead and a prominent nostril area...and what look like blue legs.

#2 & #3: The one on the left is kind of buff colored, with subtle patches of grey on "her" back and back of head. The one on the right has the chipmunk stripe pattern and lots of extra spots and stripes on the forehead.

#4: The brown one that has minimal markings. "She" is a darker more cinnamon brown on the head and back, and a lighter brown everywhere else. "Her" legs appear to be blue also.

14 Days old:

21 Days old:

28 Days old:

5 Weeks old:

7 Weeks old:

10 Weeks Old:

16 Weeks Old:

Last edited:
Quote:
If I remember correctly, (of course it could be "old wives tale") it the skunk cannot get it's tail up, it cannot spray. On "Dirty Jobs", I think Mike Rowe put a tarp over the cage before transporting the skunks. I think I would use an old tarp to make sure I didn't get skunk smell on me.

And for rabies, I know squirrels and mice are too small to have rabies (if they are bit by another rabid animal, and manage to escape being eaten, they usually die of their wounds before rabies has time to run thru their system., If rabies should be acquired by the the small critter, the critter dies quickly and doesn't usually have time to infect anything else. (I learned this last summer when son and I were bit by a squirrel and did not have to get rabies vaccines). I don't know what size the animal has to be to have rabies linger in them enough to allow them to infect other animals. If cats are big enough, I'd think an opossum would be big enough.

CG

Back
Top Bottom