The EE braggers thread!!!

Does anyone know when crossing EE x Leghorn if it has a straight comb will it not lay colored eggs? Just wondering because I hatched some chicks of this cross and some have straight combs and some have pea combs. Should I bother keeping any of the straight comb chicks if I want colored eggs?
There is a linkage with pea comb but it is not iron clad . If your EE rooster has 2 blue egg genes then all the chicks will inherit . Legbars have single comb and lay blue eggs . In the second generation the single comb is a good way to sort for the lack of the blue egg gene .

However crossing a pea combed chicken with a single combed specially with one with really big comb like the leghorn will result modified pea combs and in the case of a Leghorn parent they will be heavily modified , some will almost look like single combs to an antrained eye ,so be careful before culling the ones that you think they are single combed .

However crossing a pea combed chicken with a single combed specially with one with really big comb like the leghorn will result modified pea combs and in the case of a Leghorn parent they will be heavily modified , some will almost look  like single combs to an antrained eye ,so be careful before culling the ones that you think they are single combed .

Ooh good input, some of the combs are so small still i cant really tell what they are

However crossing a pea combed chicken with a single combed specially with one with really big comb like the leghorn will result modified pea combs and in the case of a Leghorn parent they will be heavily modified , some will almost look like single combs to an antrained eye ,so be careful before culling the ones that you think they are single combed .

So you see any leghorn traits in that hen . It takes time but can be done . I borrowed dominant white from leghorn .

I am lurking more than i am posting and i know that you have some amazing projects with very good results and surely my experience does not much yours ,but all I am saying is that the combs of such a cross might result some big floppy pea combs specially if the EE parent already had single comb parentage .
Sure with backcrossing someone could eliminate the Leghorn characteristics .
thumbsup.gif

I am lurking more than i am posting and i know that you have some amazing projects with very good results and surely my experience does not much yours ,but all I am saying is that the combs of such a cross might result some big floppy pea combs specially if the EE parent already had single comb parentage .
Sure with backcrossing someone could eliminate the Leghorn characteristics .
thumbsup.gif
Sorry if I sounded abrupt . Did not mean to . You had a good point . I took off into what could be done . I had been painting the bathroom and took a break . I must have been tired . I get grumpy when I am tired . So no hard feelings .

Them girls are always putting the eggs where I cant get to them
D.gif

And this one here found a place in the garage to make here nest so I put the towel in ..
sickbyc.gif

I can make all the and they go find their own nesting place ...

Last year the girls made their nest where they belong
jumpy.gif

gander007
old.gif

Back
Top Bottom