The ever popular cockerel or pulley game!!!

CptMoonlight

Chirping
5 Years
Feb 25, 2017
We have 4 EE's and have extremely little experience with our flock. We've read about coloring on EE's being able to get a good read on sex and believe we have at least one male. What do you think?
[/IMG]

1st Photo. You have a rooster for certain.

Even without stated age, I can tell from that comb size and color (red, prominent) and feather (non) development for the apparent age...all rooster.

When the feathers do finally appear, you will no doubt see a patchy color of white and black with perhaps even red bars on wings.

Lofmc

Last edited:
the patchiness of the color and feathering at this age on the second bird gives rise to rooster again, but put a head shot with comb.

Sometimes they can develop and change appearance quite a bit over time, and the comb is a big indicator for early roo detection with questionable colors.

I'm making a guess that other birds have more feathering filled in? The roosters *tend* to feather more slowly, but it is hard to use that guide with birds from different parentage and hereditary as they can all develop so differently in growth.

LofMc

the patchiness of the color and feathering at this age on the second bird gives rise to rooster again, but put a head shot with comb.

Sometimes they can develop and change appearance quite a bit over time, and the comb is a big indicator for early roo detection with questionable colors.

I'm making a guess that other birds have more feathering filled in?  The roosters *tend* to feather more slowly, but it is hard to use that guide with birds from different parentage and hereditary as they can all develop so differently in growth.

LofMc

#3 is very likely a pullet. Pretty sure.

#4 I could go either way. Comb is still pretty small, but that is looking pretty patchy and undeveloped in feathers (see comparison to #3 feathering) assuming same batch at same age from same hatchery (again heritage plays a big part).

The black/white pattern in EE's often is male. #3 is more silver, taupe, and much more feathered with an even looking pattern and small comb.

LofMc

Back
Top Bottom