The Evolution of Atlas: A Breeding (and Chat) Thread

The two larger pullets are named, but don't ask me which is which just yet! These names seemed obvious choices for these two pretty pullets and I've never used them in all the years I've had chickens. So, are you ready?? Their names are.....

DRUMROLL, PLEASE!............................................

Mary & Jill

Seemed only fitting. So, we have Hector, Mary, Jill and Thea. Ladyhawk has an 8 year old Splash Orpington hen she was given by a friend of ours and the hen is named Mary Todd (the friend names his hens after Presidents' wives, as in Mary Todd Lincoln) and she calls her Mary, but I've never had a Mary or a Jill. I had a very pretty friend named Jill in elementary school, too.

Took a quick pic of Athena today, who will be 19 weeks old Wednesday. I threw both Tessa and Lizzie in with Rita's group tonight. They almost badly hurt Apollo today. Tessa was hunting him down in the inside pen and he fell off the roost and as I was going into there to grab her, he was just laying on the ground in the middle of the floor like he'd given up. I thought he broke his leg or something but he seems okay now. When those two are not in there, the three youngsters do okay. So, let them stew elsewhere for awhile. Maybe Apollo can mature a little over the next couple of weeks and then, guess who will be chasing who? I'm so mad at them.

And Tessa started clucking again today. No WAY, lady! I don't have time for their antics. I have old Amanda in the wall cage. She has an impacted crop. Could be her systems are shutting down at her advanced age, but I have to treat is as if I can fix her and I think she was not drinking enough, plus she lays on her crop all day long (crippled). I hope she'll get better, but she is 9 years 4 mos old so hard to say. She's been crippled for about 3 years but has never had a crop issue until now.

Ha! Love the names. Thanks for the honor
1f60a.png

Ho ho, a namesake! I'm honored.

Hope Amanda does better.
I hope Amanda recovers, but at her age, it may be part of her systems just beginning to crash. She's a healthy hen, but she's been crippled for 3 years to the point of not truly being able to walk. That doesn't do her crop good, laying on it all the time.

Ha! Love the names. Thanks for the honor
1f60a.png

Glad you both approve of the names. I kept trying to think of names and these just seemed to be right. At least, I can remember them! That's a plus right now.

Oh, my, someone locally has Great Pry-Australian Shepherd pups for $25 each. That would be tempting. They are about 6-7 weeks old so very young. That's a dog that could live in the barn with the birds.

ETA: by the way, Amanda's crop is down this morning. Gave her the Dulcolax yesterday and all she had was water, tomato juice and some whey off the plain yogurt mixed in with that, along with several massages, and today it's fine. Whew!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom