The Evolution of Atlas: A Breeding (and Chat) Thread

Wow, what a difference between those two.

One of my little AB's crowed a week ago, but not a peep out of them since, I think he must have been around 7-8 weeks.

If you look at Atlas's hackles, you can see the chevron barring. Remember, at the time, he was the only male hatched (should always be that lucky, but only am if I need more than one) Apollo's barring is better than his sire's. I think Atlas's tail was fuller and he may have been a tad chunkier, but not by much. I believe Apollo's tail has most likely been pulled out/on by the evil older hens because I saw one feather that was barely hanging on, obviously pulled sideways so maybe it would be just like Atlas's if he was not being chased/harassed all the time.

I hope it is ok to post this here, but at least one of Hector's brothers is starting to crow here as well. Not sure which one, but it is really deep. All of them are doing well. I think they miss my son. He spoiled the while he was here. I did not have to do a thing, he fed and watered them as soon as he got up, and spent so much time with them. I think he was giving me a hint that he was claiming them for himself. My son heard you say you wanted pictures, so he got the camera and took pictures of each of them. So far, only the largest female has a name (Baby).

I hope it is ok to post this here, but at least one of Hector's brothers is starting to crow here as well. Not sure which one, but it is really deep. All of them are doing well. I think they miss my son. He spoiled the while he was here. I did not have to do a thing, he fed and watered them as soon as he got up, and spent so much time with them. I think he was giving me a hint that he was claiming them for himself. My son heard you say you wanted pictures, so he got the camera and took pictures of each of them. So far, only the largest female has a name (Baby).
Hi, Andrew! Of course, it's okay for you to post here anytime. You're always welcome on any of my threads.
smile.png

I think one of the ones you took crowed a couple of times before they left here, but I never caught him at it. Tom said it was the largest one, but I don't know for sure. Could have been Hector for all I know. Yes, they seem to have deep voices, which I love.

Jayden is quite the chicken wrangler. Thank him for taking pictures. I'd love to see any of them, especially Atlas's older sons you have. I bet they do miss your son! They are pretty susceptible to spoiling, LOL. Three of my four just a bit ago jumped into the hammock and were having a good old time swinging even without a human to sit on.

Last edited:
Hector, Mary, Jill and Thea are in with the Brahmas in the barn today. Things are not as contentious as they have been, though the BRs are still the dominant ones at this point. The largest partridge male is about as large as Thea is now so I believe we'll see some gaining on the BRs in the next few weeks.

I can see we'll need a tad more roost space when they're larger and all the keepers are together in this pen, if that is indeed the say it ends up. We shall see.
I may move Apollo, Athena and Zara into the bantam coop if these stay together from now on. Mean Tessa was beating the snot out of Apollo today and I tossed her in with Rita's group again. Later when I went to get her, she bit me again, almost the same place on my right forearm she got me the last time (and it's still bruised and scratched after all this time). She's broody (again), unfortunately, the last thing I need. And this time, she's a grumpy, grumpy witch and letting everyone know how unhappy she is. She's looking like chicken and dumplings to me about now, both her and Lizzie.

Last edited:
Out under the sassafras and oak saplings today, we got a lesson about hawks. One came screaming in and landed on a tree just outside the pen so I called "HAWK!" and did the high pitched whine the roosters do and Hector stood tall, head cocked up, echoing me while his three girls hid under the greenery. He hates to be picked up, unlike his sisters, and grouses and struggles when I do, not something I'm used to, but as long as he is non-aggressive, he doesn't have to like the attention, as long as I can get my hands on him to do what I have to do.

Today's high is 90* with a heat index of 106*. This is really stressing my birds. Even the chicks are panting. They have all the airflow they can get, cool water (we add ice in the afternoon), dry bedding, but still, they are all miserable. This is what humidity does, you folks out west! I'd rather have a real 106* and 10-20% humidity than this soupy mess!

Ick. Super hot and humid here, too. I'm glad your flock is getting extra treats. We have been taking out super cold watermelon and catalope leftovers for the flock. I'm thinking about freezing some treats in a bucket for them and dumping it out in their water pan. I usually take the pan away in the summer, but I left it this time so they can cool their feet. They are not happy with me right now being locked in the run, but we have had a fox visiting lately.

DH and I put up 180 bales of hay the day before yesterday, the hottest day of the year so far. We plucked each bale from the field, too, so it was more like we moved 360 bales, lol. I used to do that ALL summer long when I was in high school and college, with only the dollar and dream of root beer in an ice cold mug from A&W on the way home driving me to keep going. Needless to say, it's not as easy as I remember it being. Glad it's done now! Horse and steer will be fed for winter!

ETA: Have I ever mentioned that I am an artist… and Math is my weakness? Not sure what I was thinking when I came up with 720… Let's change that to the correct number… 180 x 2 = 360.

Last edited:
Ick. Super hot and humid here, too. I'm glad your flock is getting extra treats. We have been taking out super cold watermelon and catalope leftovers for the flock. I'm thinking about freezing some treats in a bucket for them and dumping it out in their water pan. I usually take the pan away in the summer, but I left it this time so they can cool their feet. They are not happy with me right now being locked in the run, but we have had a fox visiting lately.

DH and I put up 180 bales of hay the day before yesterday, the hottest day of the year so far. We plucked each bale from the field, too, so it was more like we moved 360 bales, lol. I used to do that ALL summer long when I was in high school and college, with only the dollar and dream of root beer in an ice cold mug from A&W on the way home driving me to keep going. Needless to say, it's not as easy as I remember it being. Glad it's done now! Horse and steer will be fed for winter!

ETA: Have I ever mentioned that I am an artist… and Math is my weakness? Not sure what I was thinking when I came up with 720… Let's change that to the correct number… 180 x 2 = 360.
Calculator, baby! Electronic brain is all I rely on anymore, LOL.

Snapped this pic of the three teens today. Athena is 20 weeks old. Apollo and Zara are 18 weeks. You can see how much more mature Athena is now. I caught her standing next to Atlas on the roost, actually touching him, today, with Zara right behind them so they are getting more comfortable with the big guy. Apollo, however, was on his separate roost. It remains to be seen if Atlas will allow him to stay.

New Hector, Mary, Jill and Thea pictures. I'm a bit concerned about Thea. She doesn't seem to be growing as fast as her sisters. And she's not as active, either, at times. Not cocci, at least I know that much.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom