The Evolution of Atlas: A Breeding (and Chat) Thread

Hi Cyn! I havent posted much lately! We have been busy busy busy! My youth groupd went to Kentucky for a trip to the Creation Museum and Ark. This was my 3rd time at the museum but first time at the Ark since it just opened.

We also had our County Fair and my sister and I took Reserve and Grand Champion with our Buckeyes! My sister ended up taking OverAll Grand Champion. I even made a trip to state!!

Anyways your birds are looking amazing!! I really like Hector!

Congratulations to you and your sister Isaiah! Y'all are cute as buttons.
smile.png

I have to tell you a story about Apollo. He has his short roost away from the main step roost so he can be out of the way of evil Tessa and Lizzie. They are the worst, with Tessa being positively demonic about stalking and attacking him and his sisters. He was sitting on the roost minding his own business when I saw Tessa start to launch herself at him from the top step of the main roost.

Apollo was ducking his head and making unsettled noises, about to run from that mean older sister of his when I intervened and lightly swatted Tessa's behind as she turned to run away from me. I also chastised her verbally (and complained to Atlas about his out of control woman) Then, I went over to Apollo and baby-talked him, asking if he was okay, said how mean Tessa was, that I'd protect him, etc. He sat down and scooted to the outer end of the short little 2x2 roost and put his head against my chest. He's a sweetheart. Apollo is still very skittish and hates to be caught and picked up, though he seems to appreciate being saved by his human Mom and Dad.

Awwww......what a sweetie. Nothing like a rooster letting you know he appreciates you. How is Hector's temperament?

Awwww......what a sweetie. Nothing like a rooster letting you know he appreciates you. How is Hector's temperament?
That Hector is a pill. He thinks he's all that and a box of cracker jacks! He is super friendly, but hates to be picked up and fusses and struggles, though he likes petting and conversation. He's happy to climb all over DH in the hammock (or get up there by himself), as you can tell. He is super confident and personable. So far, he's been a joy.

Atlas finally got his shot at bantam Cochin rooster, Xander. Xander and his girls were out of the pen on their roam time and apparently, Atlas's pen gate latch didn't spring closed right. I was at the back of the barn messing with Hector's waterer and heard a thump. When I turned around, Atlas and Xander were going at it in the barn aisle near Xander's pen. Neither was backing down. Xander thinks he's a monster rooster and has the attitude of a giant. I got in the middle and snatched Atlas up, tucked him backwards under my arm and deposited him back in his pen, making sure that the latch closed right.

Neither has a mark on him. I just hope Atlas didn't come down on top of Xander and hurt him internally or puncture him with this giant spurs. I saw no blood anywhere and it was only a few seconds before I got to them so maybe Xander is okay. Crazy men flexing their muscles, sheesh.

Last edited:
It's time to post updated pics of Atlas's progeny. Athena will be 22 weeks old this week. Apollo and Zara will be 20 weeks old. You can really now tell Athena from Zara, not only by her size, but her visible maturity level.

Apollo is very leggy at this point in time. I feel part of his lack of bulk is part age-related but also perhaps the way they are eating, or rather, not eating. They tend to be chased a lot and once they go into the pen with Atlas, they stay on their separate roost bars and do not even try to get to the food/water. I think they get enough because I keep food for them in the aisle of the barn and they are out with several groups during the day.

One thing I think this line has in spades over some others is leg color. Very nice to see those intensely yellow legs on Apollo.

Athena

Zara

I think his chest shape is okay and I love his head/comb.

I mistook Athena for Tessa the other day. She is as big as Tessa is now.

as I was leaving the barn, snapped this photo of Hector and two girls.

ETA: As of just a little while ago, Hector and his girls have moved into the bantam's pen. We divided up the old hens' pen and the 7 D'Anvers have the smaller pen made from that, the old hens still have plenty of room and because Hector now has his own pen, the poor Brahmas will not have to be hassled and kept away from the food and water anymore. And now, we shall fall on our faces with exhaustion.

The wall between the old hens and the bantams is a full 4x8 sheet of plywood left from the demo of the old building. I want to cut round holes like with a door knob cutter attachment to make little portholes all over it to allow light and air to keep flowing since this wall is higher than the other walls.

Last edited:
Or just cut a big window in the upper half and cover it with wire. Lovely birds
smile.png

Thanks. The Belgian D'Anvers are only seven years old now and more than half are over five years old so I expect I'll lose someone. The space they're in is as big as the coop they came out of so they'll be fine. It's about 3x8 in that space. Aubrey and Spike are tall enough they can see over the wall and out the window. I had planned to cut the plywood shorter, but DH wasn't in the mood to do that and so I just let him do it the way he wanted. We'll cut some holes or a window in it. And I need to make a new nest for the old hens. They had a humongous portable wooden one we built but we moved it into the Brahmas' pen, just took up too much room for birds who rarely lay. We have another 2 drawer file cabinet we can make into a nest just like Xander's girls have.

Emily, my black Rock, hung around us the entire time we were building that wall. I kept saying it was not like her at all, to be in the middle of things. She hates attention and is as far away as she can get from chaos, but not yesterday. We found out why later. DH said put the coke crate in the floor for a makeshift nest when we were done and she got right in there and laid an egg, LOL. She was waiting for us to get her nest back, holding that egg in for hours, I guess. She has only laid one egg in the last few months, about a week ago and we picked a bad time for Emily to mess with her routine.

Back
Top Bottom