The Evolution of Atlas: A Breeding (and Chat) Thread

From here it seems like he doesn't have that big of a difference in body size with the brahma cockerels, (minus the height from his legs), or am I wrong? Is it their feathers that make them appear bigger? And he does seem to enjoy bossing them around. Has he been aggressive with any of the brahmas at all?

I think some of it is their fluff but Bruno is about as large as Hector, certainly. He is aggressive to them but they won't let him get close enough to really do anything, as you can see. He thinks he rules them all, his girls and all the Brahmas, obviously. And, right now, he does! But he better watch out because Bruno and Bash will tower over him and if they get confidence to go with their size, Hector is in trouble. They won't have the big comb and wattles to get injured like he will!

Two milestones this morning: When they were let out, Athena left Apollo and went to where Atlas was, squatted and allowed herself to be mated by him.

Second, when DH and I were working on some roost adjustments for Hector, I kept hearing an odd sounding crow. DH said it was Atlas, but I said no way. At first, I thought one of my bantam roosters was in bad voice, but nope, it was Apollo, finally! I guess being whipped by an 11 week old chick made him man-up. I also noticed Atlas sort of following him, casually. Apollo and Zara will be 21 weeks old this Wednesday.

for @1muttsfan Hector pics today! He seems to think DH is pretty cool after he rescued the little tyrant from the big evil Neela the other day. @uphilljill what do you think of the little brat?

0.jpg

Last edited:
Adding to the pics of Hector, pics of Apollo, Athena and Zara running with a group of older hens today. June ran from bantam Cochin rooster, Xander, and hid behind Apollo, who was just waiting for her to attack, LOL. They circled each other around a 2' tall sassafras sapling, but never actually engaged. He wants to make a move, but he's just too "chicken". I got a couple of videos of the standoff I'm uploading.

the face off:

0.jpg

Last edited:
Hector is a Man's Man for sure
lol.png

That's one way to put it.
hmm.png
The little tyrant ran Athena off after she thunked Jill and made her yell. Hector to the rescue! Then he intimidated Apollo again, dropped the wing and danced toward him. Apollo just doesn't know what to think of him. Hector is very much in charge in at least three groups at just 12 weeks old, LOL. And with all the barnyard intimidation and other antics, he managed to get some hammock time for himself, too. He is fearless and confident as a grown rooster. I may have to bring out the big guns (Atlas) to show him what a real man looks like and does, but I'm afraid his lack of respect may get him hurt.

That's one way to put it. :/   The little tyrant ran Athena off after she thunked Jill and made her yell. Hector to the rescue! Then he intimidated Apollo again, dropped the wing and danced toward him. Apollo just doesn't know what to think of him. Hector is very much in charge in at least three groups at just 12 weeks old, LOL. And with all the barnyard intimidation and other antics, he managed to get some hammock time for himself, too. He is fearless and confident as a grown rooster. I may have to bring out the big guns (Atlas) to show him what a real man looks like and does, but I'm afraid his lack of respect may get him hurt.

How do you think Hector would act? And if things were to go south do you think Atlas would go on a full attack?

How do you think Hector would act? And if things were to go south do you think Atlas would go on a full attack?

To be honest, I am really not sure. Atlas has limited experience with youngsters. Apollo and his sisters are really the only ones he's had full access to on a regular basis, but Apollo is a complete opposite to Hector. He doesn't crow in Atlas's presence, doesn't flare up at him, jumps away from him even though Atlas has never made a move toward him even after he began crowing. But, Apollo has also never mated any hens, including his own younger two. I did notice Atlas following Apollo's little group around more but I think that's mainly because he's already mated Athena and he's following her.

The only way to know is to let Hector meet up with Atlas, do his little tyrant act and see what happens, staying very close by.

Back
Top Bottom