The Evolution of Atlas: A Breeding (and Chat) Thread

I must say that I really, really, really hope that Hector learns that he must not be aggressive toward his human keepers because that boy has true potential as a flock protector.

Today, Apollo decided to get sort of brave and approach Hector, lower his head and flare the hackles. Hector did the same, then jumped full on into his face. Apollo jumped up about 2' and backwards at the same time and ran. Then, Apollo tried to flare up and pick at one of Hector's girls. Again, he got the full effect of Hector-in-your-face. I said to DH that I felt Hector would probably feel that the Brahmas were also part of his flock and defend them. Well, guess what? The entire group of Brahmas had been dustbathing down the hill and began filtering up a few at a time. Apollo decided to try his luck at them, too. Swooping in from right stage downhill, Hector to the rescue! He is amazingly right at just 12 weeks old, doing all the right things a good leader/protector should do.

Though I am keeping Apollo just in case something happens to Atlas or Hector's temperament is unsuitable, in all seriousness, I'd prefer the personality of Hector over Apollo, who is pretty much a wuss for a 21 week old cockerel. Not sure if he's just super slow to mature or it's due to terrible harassment by Tessa and the others, but I expected him to be a little more dominant by this age. He's not really like the others I've had, including his own sire. When faced with a predator, right now, I feel he'd scream like a girl and run for his life, leaving the hens behind. Not so with Hector. If Hector can mind his manners with me and DH, I'll be very satisfied with my choice. Already, he seems to be a little better, though he is full of energy that I hope he will use for good and not evil, LOL.

The little tyrant, aka, Hector. First picture is Thea. She may be smaller overall, but she is round and has the best barring of the three pullets

He rarely stands up straight so it's hard to get good photos of Hector.

And you can see the reaction he gets from everyone, including adult hens and Apollo. haha, look at Bruno run!

This below is Jill. Mary is the largest pullet as well as the most in-your-face, LOL.

Is it my imagination or is Hector's head large in proportion to his body? He needs to grow into that comb! But he has a very nice head and is a hunka-chunka.

Uh, oh, danger below!

Last edited:
Someone was wanting to buy Apollo and his two girls but when she found out they were 1/8 Delaware, she is thinking they are a mixed breed. I was trying to explain that they are BR, will breed true, and actually are truly less than 1/8 Delaware because of the BR in the Delaware's origins. So, technically they are not considered "mixed" like some barnyard mix. You will never get a Delaware-looking bird from this trio. The males still need improvement to get back to what the original Rex was, certainly, but Apollo is much better than his sire or grandsire so we are seeing the quality go up.

That's what's funny in the chicken world. It is what it looks like, however, it must breed true. And Apollo and his girls will. Atlas and his hens will. So, they are not a mixed breed.

Chicken genetics and breeding can be hard to understand at the beginning.

"This below is Jill. Mary is the largest pullet as well as the most in-your-face, LOL."
Sounds bout right
tongue.png

Thought you'd appreciate that commentary.
wink.png
Of course, by "large", I mean the most proper body type. I'm sure you are a svelte specimen, human Mary.

ETA: I did reopen the ad for Apollo and his sisters. One thing that precipitated it was that my husband is having emergency surgery on Monday for a large kidney stone (there are multiples in both kidneys, but he was unaware of them this time) blocking one side up. Began when our new doctor (thank GOD for the new dr, Dr. Kathirae Severson, who at least CARES, unlike the last loser we were forced to go to due to cutbacks in military healthcare) decided that because of his previous family history and some numbers on the blood test, that he needed a CT scan on them, which showed stones, cysts and shrinkage and enlarged lymph nodes. She sent him to a urologist who said he had to get in NOW to get that particular one out, etc. Seems everything we have to do now is an hour or more away from here. The surgery is over 3 hours south and I have to drive back, through Atlanta, OMG, I HATE Atlanta! I haven't driven in a long, long time in that kind of traffic.

Anyway, after finding that out, someone posted on my closed ad for the three birds, looking for Stukel lineage birds. All that together and the extra work that Apollo (well, really, Tessa) has caused made me think maybe it would make our lives a tad easier to find them a new home, though Athena is showing signs of laying soon. Hector needs to continue to become calmer around me and he is making progress, it seems. If I do not have Atlas or Apollo and I end up not having Hector, I swear, I'd be tempted to put the Brahmas in Atlas's pen and let the older BRs just be w/o a rooster and go into the smaller pen. But, Atlas may live for a few years and he could have Hector's girls, which are new blood, though some would say don't outcross on these yet. Sometimes, life dictates our choices, though.

I just hope things don't go south (why is the south always to blame?? I say go NORTH, haha) with my husband's health and forces me to let more go than just the trio; Hector's girls will stay no matter what, though! No way I'd let them go, not on your life!

Last edited:
Oh so sorry to hear about Tom! Hopefully it will help him with some of his chronic pain. And while for perfection you maybe should not cross out, on the other hand you should also be hatching hundreds of birds and only keeping the most perfect. So if you have to do things the way you have to do them for expediency, it might take a little longer to get there but who cares?

PS I HATE driving around Atlanta. Be safe.

Oh so sorry to hear about Tom! Hopefully it will help him with some of his chronic pain. And while for perfection you maybe should not cross out, on the other hand you should also be hatching hundreds of birds and only keeping the most perfect. So if you have to do things the way you have to do them for expediency, it might take a little longer to get there but who cares?

PS I HATE driving around Atlanta. Be safe.

Thanks, Mary. I dread it but can't do anything except power through it.

Hector showed Apollo who is "da man" in the barnyard again. Apollo was trying to pick on Thea and in zooms Hector, chases him away and keeps on chasing until Apollo was out of the area. I dread what might happen if Apollo turns to fight. That happened with Rex and Deacon and Rex did not expect the resounding blow to the chest he got, which ultimately killed him.

Back
Top Bottom