3/24: Chicken math strikes again

Daisy is still sitting, but contributed one more egg to her clutch (as best I can tell; it matched her others but of course the differences between hers and her sisters' eggs are minute). I didn't have the heart to take it from her, so now she's on nine...

I'm going to have so many cockerels on my hands >.<

4/5 Updates:
1000002487.jpg

Daisy is still sitting on her 9 (unless I missed a "donation" over the last two or three days... It got cold/cool and I don’t disturb her during inclement weather), and we're just about a week from potential hatch day.

I can't say enough about her calm, steady broody skills. No messing the nest, almost no nest confusion about returning to her own eggs. I don't really have to do anything... Not even a separate broody space has been necessary.

This is why I need more of her genes in the flock. Sustainability, to me, starts with a good hen's mothering talents. I'd sell most of my flock before ever parting with her. Not to mention how satisfying it is to watch her cuddling all those fluffballs. Her careful tenderness is the perfect balance to how cruel nature can sometimes be.

Anyway, no telling what the hatch rate will be with the age of some of her eggs. But I'm rooting for her ❤️

4/5 Updates:
View attachment 3792322
Daisy is still sitting on her 9 (unless I missed a "donation" over the last two or three days... It got cold/cool and I don’t disturb her during inclement weather), and we're just about a week from potential hatch day.

I can't say enough about her calm, steady broody skills. No messing the nest, almost no nest confusion about returning to her own eggs. I don't really have to do anything... Not even a separate broody space has been necessary.

This is why I need more of her genes in the flock. Sustainability, to me, starts with a good hen's mothering talents. I'd sell most of my flock before ever parting with her. Not to mention how satisfying it is to watch her cuddling all those fluffballs. Her careful tenderness is the perfect balance to how cruel nature can sometimes be.

Anyway, no telling what the hatch rate will be with the age of some of her eggs. But I'm rooting for her ❤️
How do you/does she handle the staggered hatch?

Martha's sitting on three eggs, Day 19, and two more about three days behind, Day 15/16.

How do you/does she handle the staggered hatch?

Martha's sitting on three eggs, Day 19, and two more about three days behind, Day 15/16.
Oh so exciting! Are you posting progress/updates on Martha's clutch because I'd love to follow!!

Daisy has never done a staggered hatch before, but usually she will willingly continue to sit on even a fully hatched clutch for two to three days. So in this case I'm not particularly concerned about it needing a little extra time.

I removed her to count and luckily no extra eggs have been sneaked in (unless you count HALF of a fake Easter egg she dragged under herself. The other hens kick out the fakes and I guess she thought that plastic half-shell needed some love 😆).

4/10 Updates:

Hatch day is Friday, but that won't stop me expecting babies all day tomorrow. Ugh! The hardest part is not leaving Daisy alone but I never lift her during the last few days. As a kid we had a broody that squished a few babies partway hatched and I always blamed my elder sister's nosiness, haha. Anyway, she got a little boiled egg-yolk since I doubt she'll get up much on her own this far in. Good luck, Daisy!!

Meanwhile, Peppa might have caught the broody bug:
1000002630.jpg

This impressive display was accompanied by fearsome squeaks and attempted growls. Her voice is nothing to Daisy's but I give her at least 8/10 on her angry basketball impression. Debating what eggs to give her if she spends the night here, after all... This is not the first indication I've had of her motherhood aspirations, but it's the hardest she's tried to convince me for sure!

Since I haven't introduced the "bonus flock" yet, now seems as good a time as any to do so:
1000002628.jpg

1000002622.jpg

1000002620.jpg

1000002619.jpg

The boy is Yorvir's hatchmate, and at least half-brother, who I raised myself. Quite similar at a glance, but blonder in the hackles and with a much fuller chest. He's had a rough winter (part of the reason I'm now full owner of this flock, too) and has lost much of his handsome comb. He was also roughed up in a fight with the other flock rooster so has had head and neck trimming to remove clots and debris. Needless to say this group could use an entirely different setup, but it's going to take time and money to get them ready for a permanent coop and run. The hens are just one year, all black sex links or barred rocks, and lay like crazy. We're drowning in eggs.

The main flock and its constituents are all well, with a few minor health issues I'm either watching or planning treatment for. Rusty could use a scaley leg mite treatment as well as Chicken Jane, and Yorvir is getting over something that made him sneeze and crow hoarsely. Presumed diagnosis was either a canker or wet pox, but no one else has caught anything and he's almost fully recovered.

Chicken Jane being a cutiepie.
1000002542.jpg

1000002546.jpg

e91ba36e-424e-4ead-9772-ab1787506a89-1_all_23838.jpg

She's single-handedly changed my entire opinion of pure Leghorns. Once the stranger/invader, then the timid adoptee, and now the inquisitive little lady that will hop up to see what you're doing/if you have a treat. She'll happily sit next to you for a long preening session just to enjoy your company.

Blue grew into quite a little lady and is laying, like her faster hatchmate, Chara:
1000002593.jpg

Here's Chara for comparison:
1000002536.jpg

They both seem to be regular layers and have really bonded with Yorvir, who is always happy to court them. The rest of the hens still express misgivings from time to time, but not these two!

Yorvir, looking like he could use a fresh set of feathers:
1000002535.jpg

Rusty and his girls, including Puffy Muffin, his daughter:
1000002559.jpg

Yuri, who almost never lets me get a good picture, deciding I'm too sus to accept a clover from:
1000002567.jpg

I've been really busy, so it was nice to finally get to spend a little time really enjoying their company today. They all have such personality and bring something special to the yard.

4/12, Hatch Day!

Four eggshells, and I've seen at least three, with photos of two:

Yellow, as expected:
1000002729.jpg

Ginger/chipmunk?! As NOT expected:
1000002728.jpg

1000002733.jpg

1000002734.jpg

How chipmunk-ish popped in from Daisy and Yorvir... or even Yorvir and Peaches... I'm at a loss!! Maybe a ginger hen slipped one in. We'll see what the rest look like, if she ever lets me see them!!

4/12, Hatch Day!

Four eggshells, and I've seen at least three, with photos of two:

Yellow, as expected:
View attachment 3799696

Ginger/chipmunk?! As NOT expected:
View attachment 3799697
View attachment 3799698
View attachment 3799699

How chipmunk-ish popped in from Daisy and Yorvir... or even Yorvir and Peaches... I'm at a loss!! Maybe a ginger hen slipped one in. We'll see what the rest look like, if she ever lets me see them!!
Interesting colors/markings.

8/9 hatched, oldest was a March 4th lay date:
1000002756.jpg

1000002753.jpg

She stopped sitting on the last one around noon, it was a 3/1 egg.

Peaches egg was (edit: NOT) one of the hatchlings, so these are not at all related to Rusty. Big shame, but all cute and belong to Yorvir.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom