CoopBoots

Crowing
Aug 31, 2022
Welcome to Rusty Bucket Farm!

This is Rusty, age unknown, maybe 5ish:
Screenshot_20220726-213615~2.jpg

We adopted him after his first life as a pet came to an end. He's kind of living out his retirement with us, although we managed to get a handful of lovely chicks from him this year. Looks like a Niederrheiner or a variant of Cuckoo Orpington, but the original owner didn't seem to know.

Rusty's 1 y.o. wives, aka The Golden Girls:
Snapchat-187739849.jpg

We started with nine hatchery quality Buff Orpingtons and are down to seven; seemed like fatty liver issues so we revised our policy on scraps and mostly avoid them these days. Tough lesson.

Rusty's broody mama, Daisy, who hatched seven of his babies this year (6 out of 7 were boys, yikes):
Screenshot_20230401-134217.jpg

image.jpg

She went broody twice as a pullet and once again as a hen. Two of three clutches saw success but clearly Rusty is struggling to keep up with his young trophy wives!

The Next Generation:
image.jpg

John Luc Peckard, with his hatchmate Peaches staring from the background (I have nearly no photos of her). His brother Riker is not pictured but is nearly identical, if less developed. His other male hatchmates were too numerous to keep. All of them are broody raised and almost wild in comparison to the rest of the flock!

The last of Rusty's broody hatchlings is Circle, raised as a singleton by the same hen:
Snapchat-893167028.jpg

He's the image of his older brothers, Peckard and Riker, just a few months younger.

We had one artificial hatch from Rusty this year, an additional pullet named Puffy Muffin (ignore Marshmallow stealing the limelight here and Rusty coming to tell me off):
image.jpg

She has developed MUCH faster than her broody raised sister, Peaches, but they share that very slight barring from Rusty in their pretty buff coats. Puffy is a huge, outsize pullet who is already larger than her Buff Orpington dam. I'll get an updated picture later for comparison but she is easily the largest girl in the entire flock despite just coming into lay.

Fresh Blood:

Meet the Buff Orpington x Leghorn mixes from the farm down the road! No relation to my OG flock:
image.jpg

Yorvir is the handsome boy in front. The girls came in red, brown, white, and black.

Kazooie:
image.jpg

Yuri:
20230829_115835-COLLAGE.jpg

Marshmallow:
image.jpg

Peppa:
20230829_114107-COLLAGE.jpg

Salt:
image.jpg

Noodle (intractable wry neck or injury since chickhood):
20230829_115424-COLLAGE.jpg

There's one additional red pullet called Jubilee who has mostly escaped from photos this far.

Anyway, that's the crew! Current goals are really just around managing Rusty as an old man; keeping him happy and as leader of his flock despite the new boys I'm keeping as back-up. I adore him for himself mostly, but I can't deny I'm very interested in the traits I see in his offspring (heavy-set, FLUFFY birds. I mean you can FEEL the difference when you touch them; it's incredible how soft and thick the feathers are. As far as maturity, they develop slowly. Eggs are light brown to cream and seem to also tend large? Trying to observe for this a little more closely). I do want to keep eggs around and promote a multi-generational flock that reproduces via natural brooding.

Given my hatch-rates for this year, if I don't bring in outside birds for a while I doubt I'll deal with overpopulation going the broody route. However, I'm trying to be considerate of just how many birds I can regularly do health checks and treatments for, plus coop improvements and maintenance.

It's a big job but I love it. I'm head over heels for them. May we have many happy and healthy years ahead!

Been trying to get better photos of Rusty's daughters for comparison:
Snapchat-263852152~3.jpg

Snapchat-1788469138~3.jpg

One of their possible mothers, Daisy, at approximately the same age:
Screenshot_20230901-165943-398.png

Their barring is almost invisible to me unless I really focus on their neck feathers in bright lighting. They just look like fluffier than average Buff Orpingtons to me, if just a touch lighter in coloration. I can make a better comparison once the OG Orpingtons complete their molt; right now they are pitifully sun-bleached. I need to expand the shrubberies for them next year...

Rusty's boys are much showier, of course:
Snapchat-660805128~2.jpg

Definitely a significant change in coloration from Lemon Cuckoo to mostly Buff, but I love the remnant of barring in their feathers. Personality wise they are all very avoidant. Not necessarily a bad thing, but I can't say I'm very attached to either. Their value currently lies in furthering Rusty's genes as he continues to decline in fertility. Their crowing is on the deep side, which I find pleasant to listen to, as well. None of the hens or pullets are huge fans of them, though, so we'll see if they improve in wooing or not.

Yorvir is currently leading the larger Buff Orpington x Leghorn group, but he's probably not going to be a primary breeder for another year at least:
Snapchat-1034462565.jpg

I like having his half-Orpington genes to breed back into the group, but only after I've established more of Rusty's descendents. At best I'd pair him with Puffy and Peaches, letting Rusty and his sons cover the rest for another breeding season. There will probably be an "oops" or two as I'm not a fan of disrupting the peaceful sub-flocks for very long, though. Yorvir is a shrill loudmouth packed with personality, and so far, good humor. He beats his wings like a gorilla beating his chest, too 😂. I quite like him but I never really trust a rooster. The pullets generally like him. I'll learn a lot more about him next spring.

9/26 updates:

We lost my lead hen to potential fatty liver issues recently. Artsie was a lovely girl and will be much missed. Another stark memento mori, sigh. She's buried under a new clump of bamboo we've added to provide eastern shade for the ever-expanding chicken yard.

Screenshot_20230926-082509.png

This is Daisy, who is going broody for the fourth time within about 10 months. Apparently she is also trying to make her hay while the sun shines, and given my agreement with her sentiments I've decided to give her four eggs this time around:

Snapchat-49207255.jpg

Two belong to my Leghorn x Orpingtons, Yuri and Peppa (with Yorvir as father) and the others are from the cooperative flock on my property made up of Yorvir's brother and a bunch of Barred Rock and Black Sexlink hens.

Assuming a perfect hatch, which I doubt, she'll have hatched 11 eggs this year. I have to keep batches small in size because I can only eat so many roosters! Given the price of chicken meat just now I should be grateful, but I'm not excited about it in any way. 😞

Last edited:
10/17 Updates:
Screenshot_20231017-100851.png

Screenshot_20231017-100909.png

I spotted the grey baby on the 15th, but it took until today to get a look at all four!

At a guess, the black/penguin looking babies belong to the cooperative flock while the grey and buffs are the continuation of my Orpington x Leghorn line (likely with Peppa and Yuri as the mothers, respectively).

Of course she's hatched them right at the moment it got cold here; I'm expecting her to bring them off of the nest today. She is head hen so I'm not expecting trouble, but I'll be spying for most of the day to ensure she gets them all where she wants them. The coop has a pretty forgiving ramp and no ledges someone might not be able to jump, but you just never know.

I'm pretty sure my husband is already thinking of names 🤣 He might almost be as crazy about them as I am, now!

Please let them be pullets!

10/17 Updates:
View attachment 3661532
View attachment 3661533
I spotted the grey baby on the 15th, but it took until today to get a look at all four!

At a guess, the black/penguin looking babies belong to the cooperative flock while the grey and buffs are the continuation of my Orpington x Leghorn line (likely with Peppa and Yuri as the mothers, respectively).

Of course she's hatched them right at the moment it got cold here; I'm expecting her to bring them off of the nest today. She is head hen so I'm not expecting trouble, but I'll be spying for most of the day to ensure she gets them all where she wants them. The coop has a pretty forgiving ramp and no ledges someone might not be able to jump, but you just never know.

I'm pretty sure my husband is already thinking of names 🤣 He might almost be as crazy about them as I am, now!

Please let them be pullets!
Nothing cuter than momma and her babies! :love Thanks for sharing!

Back
Top Bottom