11/6 updates:

We lost the mostly black chick, just around two days after leaving the nest. Daisy didn't miss a beat, and the remaining three are hale and hearty:

20231106_162818.jpg

20231106_162809.jpg

Do you see what I'm seeing? I think blue and yellow are barred, so they should belong to the cooperative flock and therefore 25% Leghorn, 25% Buff Orpington, and 50% Barred Rock. The remaining penguin baby is the only one from my group (which wasn't carrying any barring) and should be Yorvir's offspring. That also makes it a second generation of Orpington x Leghorn, so it will be interesting to compare their performance if I get girls.

I have a tentative guess that blue is a boy and the others are girls, but this is just me betting with myself. So far I'm at 6 boys to 1 girl from my broody, so I keep hoping the statistics will balance out soon :fl Actually, I wonder if who is barred will tell me anything about sex? I asked in Niclandia's thread soi should go re-read what has already been explained!!

I got a new phone recently and just had to test out the camera, so of course I took about 1000 photos. Anyone else running out of google storage just because of their chickens?!

Rusty's babies:
Peckard, the boss:
20231106_164801.jpg

Riker, the underling:
20231106_163954.jpg

Peaches, who is just the fluffiest ding dong with so much attitude. She is much closer to the physique I imagine a real English Orpington would have; the floof is impressive compared to my hatchery orps and picking her up is like holding a weighted, downy pillow. Given my flock's history of sudden hen death her weight is definitely still a concern, but she doesn't get treats hardly at all... I may have to just institute meal times vs. open access for this group.
20231106_163432.jpg

Puffy Muffin:
20231106_163528.jpg

Almost Peaches' twin, but much faster to mature and with less softness in her feathers. She was laying probably more than a month before her sister!

Yorvir:
20231106_165814.jpg

Too busy being on lookout to give me the time of day. I'm not afraid of him taking swing at my turned back; he's genuinely just a sensible cockerel with no concept of humans as competition. He's the best behaved and the best lookout of all my boys.

Peppa:
20231106_165919.jpg

She's probably Yorvir's second-best girlfriend. I love black chickens but was worried about them in our hot, humid summers; hoping her more lithe half-leghorn build will make her more resilient. Next summer will be the real test.

A slightly older photo of Rusty, but he's still pretty much in mid-molt condition as pictured:
IMG_20231025_175825209.jpg

He's had an even rougher go of it this year than last, with a messy bottom and lethargic attitude for well over two months and counting. Had to trim the butt fluff and he's due some further attention for his continued scaley feet. He had to be kept separate from his girls a while, as Strawberry was picking his incoming feathers pretty mercilessly. Now her own molt has started, I see them laying around together. Commiserating about the experience, no doubt! Despite the initial feather abuse I haven't seen any more bad behavior, so I give them leave to be friends again as long as nothing else occurs. I feed chick starter continuously so protein shouldn't be at issue.

Edit: If I'm not hallucinating the barring, that would likely make my barred chicks male... Unbarred rooster x barred hen is supposed to create sexlinks where male offspring are barred. Yikes! So much for a late season pullet clutch.

Last edited:
11/6 updates:

We lost the mostly black chick, just around two days after leaving the nest. Daisy didn't miss a beat, and the remaining three are hale and hearty:

View attachment 3678010
View attachment 3678011

Do you see what I'm seeing? I think blue and yellow are barred, so they should belong to the cooperative flock and therefore 25% Leghorn, 25% Buff Orpington, and 50% Barred Rock. The remaining penguin baby is the only one from my group (which wasn't carrying any barring) and should be Yorvir's offspring. That also makes it a second generation of Orpington x Leghorn, so it will be interesting to compare their performance if I get girls.

I have a tentative guess that blue is a boy and the others are girls, but this is just me betting with myself. So far I'm at 6 boys to 1 girl from my broody, so I keep hoping the statistics will balance out soon :fl Actually, I wonder if who is barred will tell me anything about sex? I asked in Niclandia's thread soi should go re-read what has already been explained!!

I got a new phone recently and just had to test out the camera, so of course I took about 1000 photos. Anyone else running out of google storage just because of their chickens?!

Rusty's babies:
Peckard, the boss:
View attachment 3678019
Riker, the underling:
View attachment 3678024
Peaches, who is just the fluffiest ding dong with so much attitude. She is much closer to the physique I imagine a real English Orpington would have; the floof is impressive compared to my hatchery orps and picking her up is like holding a weighted, downy pillow. Given my flock's history of sudden hen death her weight is definitely still a concern, but she doesn't get treats hardly at all... I may have to just institute meal times vs. open access for this group.
View attachment 3678027
Puffy Muffin:
View attachment 3678031
Almost Peaches' twin, but much faster to mature and with less softness in her feathers. She was laying probably more than a month before her sister!

Yorvir:
View attachment 3678041
Too busy being on lookout to give me the time of day. I'm not afraid of him taking swing at my turned back; he's genuinely just a sensible cockerel with no concept of humans as competition. He's the best behaved and the best lookout of all my boys.

Peppa:
View attachment 3678045
She's probably Yorvir's second-best girlfriend. I love black chickens but was worried about them in our hot, humid summers; hoping her more lithe half-leghorn build will make her more resilient. Next summer will be the real test.

A slightly older photo of Rusty, but he's still pretty much in mid-molt condition as pictured:
View attachment 3678046
He's had an even rougher go of it this year than last, with a messy bottom and lethargic attitude for well over two months and counting. Had to trim the butt fluff and he's due some further attention for his continued scaley feet. He had to be kept separate from his girls a while, as Strawberry was picking his incoming feathers pretty mercilessly. Now her own molt has started, I see them laying around together. Commiserating about the experience, no doubt! Despite the initial feather abuse I haven't seen any more bad behavior, so I give them leave to be friends again as long as nothing else occurs. I feed chick starter continuously so protein shouldn't be at issue.
Beautiful flock! ❤

This is Circle:
Snapchat-280793324.jpg

He's a singleton I let Daisy hatch back on or around July 4th, so he's four months and almost two weeks by my math.

As a baby:
Snapchat-565605445.jpg

He's gone from anxiously attached chick to disowned, terrified adolescent. There was a brief period where he'd run to my husband or myself for assistance at bedtime, but these days he's horrified by our just our presence. Treats, quiet talk, squatting to be small; absolutely nothing will allay his fears.

He's handsome like his father and brothers, but the singleton thing has been hard on him. I do notice, however, that he seeks his father out for companionship as Rusty doesn't see him as meaningful competition. The hens all constantly put him in his place and I haven't seen him make a move on any of them. He does have a grudge against his mother's current clutch, especially the little yellow cockerel, but Daisy is a vigilant mom and I've never seen any harm come of it.

Daisy and the next generation as Circle ponders his place in the flock:
Snapchat-1932291767.jpg

Here's a photo of one of his brothers, hatched March 31st, for developmental comparison, at around 4 months:
Snapchat-1128148199.jpg

He's clearly behind, even with a couple of weeks advantage. His behavior isn't even very cockerel-like. It will be interesting to compare his later personality to his elder siblings, even if I can't confirm with certainty that they were caused by growing up a singleton.

If I have any ambitions for him, it's that uses his cowardly streak to bond subserviently to his father and they manage to both lead the flock, but that's probably a ridiculously romantic notion given the inevitably of cockerel hormones and Rusty entering his twilight years. But for the time being, it's nice to see them enjoy a quiet afternoon together.

12/5 Updates:

A sad day from a rough week for the flock. All of my April hatched boys seemed to peak all at once, and began flying over what fences I had in place to keep them contained with their smaller hen groups. They wanted to fight Rusty, and they kept finding ways out!!

Thankfully I'm constantly at home and spying on them to catch these things, but I still feel I let Rusty down a bit. He was easily bested but spared any serious injury; his molt has left him even less dexterous and mobile than usual and he made an easy target.

Pictured: Pale and depressed, but still accompany by a cohort of seemingly loving hens and pullets. He's thankfully eating and drinking well.
20231205_144814.jpg

Difficult decisions were quickly made--Yorvir has the best disposition and the most vim to lead the flock and defend them. He stays to be king next season.
Snapchat-1392042468.jpg

The friend I originally would have given either Peckard or Riker flaked on me for ducks (it happens, they are ridiculously cute) and no nearby neighbors seemed to need a new boy. So, Yorvir is in temporary jail while I work on a permanent retirement enclosure for Rusty and his favorites, and I sent the other big boys to freezer camp.
20231106_163230.jpg

Circle, the youngest and meekest of Rusty's boys, will live on to inherit the earth, or at least a spot as second-in-command (assuming Yorvir tolerates him well enough).

Pictured: Circle has taken up guard duty for his mother, my queen broody, and the mixed breed babies and nephew/nieces of Yorvir.
20231205_144839.jpg

It was HARD. I'm quite depressed about ending the life of such hale, handsome boys. But I didn't have the right enclosures to keep everyone safe. A difficult lesson.

However, the flock is finally peaceful today and even Circle finally found his crowing voice. We'll move past this together.

12/27 updates:

Have we come full Circle? He bloomed the moment I retired his brothers. It reminds me of the bit in Rudolph where he suddenly has the full set of antlers...
Snapchat-1722546532.jpg

Rusty is recovered enough to have trysts with his ladies and to give me the evil eye again. His tail feathers are positively blooming, too!
20231227_144545.jpg

Yorvir and my flier, Kazooie, make good companions for now. Once I have Rusty's run complete, he'll be roaming free within the main flock. Circle will be under his management as the underling.
20231227_133705.jpg

The babies sexes are still somewhat unclear. Buff Barred is a boy, Blue is a girl with yellowish skin/lobes, and Chara (black) has all the looks of a black sexlink female... But the comb and wattles say probable boy. Thoughts?
20231227_133541.jpg

20231227_133531.jpg

20231227_133534.jpg

1/5 Updates:

Happy New Year!

After much struggle with some hawk netting (seriously that stuff snared ME on multiple occasions, I'm going to keep a close eye on everyone!), I've finally managed to create a separate run and coop area out of the old greenhouse on my property. Yorvir, my half-leghorn all-flier cockerel, should no longer be able to access Rusty, my old king, or any of his ladies (3 of the original Orpington hens).

Clockwise from the upper left: Tendi, Strawberry, & Brumbo who will go on with Rusty.
20240105_183824-COLLAGE.jpg

But oh, the bedtime drama. And the mating drama. Things probably won't settle for at least a week!

Yorvir, unimprisoned at last, has access to three OG Orpingtons: Daisy, Chichin, and Hei Hei, as well as Rusty's two daughters: Puffy Muffin & Peaches, and finally Marshmallow, his hatchmate who is bonded with them.

Clockwise from upper left: Marshmallow, Daisy, Hei Hei, Puffy Muffin, Peaches, & Chichin.
20240105_181241-COLLAGE.jpg

I'm also hoping to integrate three or so of his other hatchmates who live as companions to my special needs pullet, Noodle, in order to boost his numbers and reduce the strain on her coop space...

Clockwise from upper left: Yuri, Salt, Chicken Jane (the neighbor's escapee, not a hatchmate) & Kazooie. Salt & Kazooie are notorious escape artists so a change will probably be welcome to them!
20240105_182950-COLLAGE.jpg

I'm willing to rethink these groupings at any time. If Yorvir is too hard on any of my mature hens, who are prone to resist him, I'll allow Rusty a larger flock if necessary. Rusty remains low drive for the present but I'll have to be mindful of breeding season to ensure he doesn't wear anyone down.

In terms of breeding, I'd love to cross Yorvir over Rusty's daughters and Rusty's son over some of Yorvir's hatchmates. But right now I'm focused on ensuring peace in the current setup and troubleshooting that before launching into further groupings, even if temporary.

I certainly don't NEED any more chickens!! ;) But we all know how that goes...

1/5 Updates:

Happy New Year!

After much struggle with some hawk netting (seriously that stuff snared ME on multiple occasions, I'm going to keep a close eye on everyone!), I've finally managed to create a separate run and coop area out of the old greenhouse on my property. Yorvir, my half-leghorn all-flier cockerel, should no longer be able to access Rusty, my old king, or any of his ladies (3 of the original Orpington hens).

Clockwise from the upper left: Tendi, Strawberry, & Brumbo who will go on with Rusty.
View attachment 3720043

But oh, the bedtime drama. And the mating drama. Things probably won't settle for at least a week!

Yorvir, unimprisoned at last, has access to three OG Orpingtons: Daisy, Chichin, and Hei Hei, as well as Rusty's two daughters: Puffy Muffin & Peaches, and finally Marshmallow, his hatchmate who is bonded with them.

Clockwise from upper left: Marshmallow, Daisy, Hei Hei, Puffy Muffin, Peaches, & Chichin.
View attachment 3720044

I'm also hoping to integrate three or so of his other hatchmates who live as companions to my special needs pullet, Noodle, in order to boost his numbers and reduce the strain on her coop space...

Clockwise from upper left: Yuri, Salt, Chicken Jane (the neighbor's escapee, not a hatchmate) & Kazooie. Salt & Kazooie are notorious escape artists so a change will probably be welcome to them!
View attachment 3720046

I'm willing to rethink these groupings at any time. If Yorvir is too hard on any of my mature hens, who are prone to resist him, I'll allow Rusty a larger flock if necessary. Rusty remains low drive for the present but I'll have to be mindful of breeding season to ensure he doesn't wear anyone down.

In terms of breeding, I'd love to cross Yorvir over Rusty's daughters and Rusty's son over some of Yorvir's hatchmates. But right now I'm focused on ensuring peace in the current setup and troubleshooting that before launching into further groupings, even if temporary.

I certainly don't NEED any more chickens!! ;) But we all know how that goes...
Adorable photos! ❤

2/19 Updates:

The last batch of babies is all grown up. Two pullets and a cockerel:
Screenshot_20240219_155434_Snapchat.jpg

20240219_160122.jpg

20240219_160139.jpg

The boy is very fearful, yet egg-thief aggressive, and has caused quite a bit of breakage. Despite his hands-off rearing, he is human aggressive and will have to go.

I'll give more general updates when I have the time to spare...

Ok, I've put chickens to bed and made it through supper time. Here are the big updates.

Circle (Rusty's last remaining son) had become quite a pest with the grown hens, and so he earned himself a stint in horny jail. All my boys have done a little time when the girls are stressed or in need of a feathering break, so this isn't unusual for my roo management style. Well, he became less fearful as result. And while initially he showed cowardly aggression when my back was turned, he's mellowed significantly since and no longer causes issues as I handle his coop / feed / water. A surprise, to be sure, but a welcome one. If he can stay the course he'll get regular access to the Leggington crossbreds to continue his father's line. He occasionally has their company now and handles it quite well, all things considered, although he's a bit like a heat-seeking missile when meeting a new lady. Once that's over with I don't see any continued drama, so everyone seems to be adjusting.

The only issue, just now, is fence fighting between him and Yorvir.
20240219_160447.jpg

"What fence fighting?" Yorvir says while covered in scabs...

Circle takes the worst of it. He's big, slow, and unskilled, like his father. But they both have too much confidence from so much exposure with no serious consequences. I may have to add additional wire or mesh to keep things civil over the breeding season.

Between Yorvir and Rusty, both have settled into their separate areas and pretty much keep the peace. The ladies, however, had some opinions on the groups they were forced into. Brumbo absolutely rebelled against changing coops, and so did Puffy Muffin. They conspired to switch themselves and so now Puffy, despite being Rusty's daughter, remains in his breeding group while Brumbo flounces off with the younger man. I'm sure it won't cause any genetic issues on one crossing, but I'll accidentally end up with a 3/4 Niederrheiner should any of Puffy's future eggs get hatched.

Speaking of Niederrheiners, I've been struggling to capture in a photo just how much SIZE Rusty's genes have added onto my hatchery Orpington stock:
Snapchat-802829655.jpg

Mother on the left, daughter on the right...

My neighbor-chicken adoptee has completed a very rough winter season and molt and has resurrected herself as this much improved beauty:
20240219_160525.jpg

20240219_160547.jpg

She has been christened "Chicken Jane" after the unlucky hen in one of the children's shows I used to watch as a kid. Unfortunately, she seems to have passed lash egg material recently but also laid a very nice looking egg today. Too large, though. She's such a tiny thing to suffer through the JUMBO eggs she lays. I can't imagine how she does it. While I can't cure salpingitis, or whatever causes the lash symptom, I'll do my utmost to keep her happy and comfortable. She's not friendless in my flock, although her timid personality does her no favors. She's learning to come for hand-fed treats and is a real favorite among the humans here.

Finally, and probably as predicted, I've been gifted the co-operative flock I was allowing on my property when it apparently got to be too much work for the primary caretakers. That's 20 almost year-old chickens, at once, which essentially doubles what I was keeping. I can officially no longer count and will probably have to start selling eggs just to stay on top of feed costs.

I'll have to cover THAT whole acquisition another time. Pictures will come, eventually. If only chicken keeping were profitable!!!

Back
Top Bottom