My flocks of Sussex, some other purebreds, and lots of young mixes

I thought I would start a my flock thread, so here it goes.

My very first chicken was Mister doodle, a Light Sussex Cockerel. Great choice, I know, starting with a 6 month old cockerel, but it actually worked out great!
He is now around 2 and a half years old.
View attachment 3378550On the same day we got him (but a bit later in the day) we got two Cuckoo Orpington pullets.
One isn't around anymore (she sadly got water belly at only around a year old) but the other is one of my favorite hens
View attachment 3378554
I then got a pair of RIR pullets, but only have one now.
She is a good hen, and one of the only ones that don't go broody all the time.
View attachment 3378555
And than the last of the grown birds I got, were two Sussex pullets, one LightView attachment 3378558and one CoronationView attachment 3378559That is all of the chickens that I had for the first half a year of chicken keeping.
That's one gorgeous rooster

Around the same time the BOs and SS were growing up I also had two of Mrs. Sussex's daughters growing up.
This is one of them
P1040361.JPG

This was last Autumn, so just under a year ago. After that, up until last spring, numbers were quite stable, except for some cockerels that I harvested.
I do just want to say at this point, that I do harvest most of the cockerels, and while I do love my chickens, and some have become more like pets, I do try to view more like livestock.

Last spring, all but Orp 1 and the RIR went broody, and hatched varying amounts of chicks.
Here are a few pics
PA062144.JPG
PA062176.JPG
PB132587.JPG
PB172785.JPG
Things got a little out of control rather quickly!
The most I had at any one time was 72, I 'think'!!

Back
Top Bottom