2/27 Updates:

I'm broody. No, not any of my hens or pullets unfortunately, just me lol. But I can't sit on eggs so I need a chicken to pick up what I'm laying down, here!

What I've done so far:

1. Filled a nestbox with porcelain and plastic Easter eggs
2. Started separating my problem cockerel who is invited to dinner for stressing my girls!! No one is going to choose to brood under his reign of terror
3. Began spying on my usually broody hen, Daisy, to thieve and hoard her eggs until someone decides to sit. I always choose eggs to set AFTER she is committed, which means she's probably never had one of her own in a clutch. Hopefully I get the timing right and have a decent clutch ready about the time she normally decides she's laid enough to sit...
4. Just in case I need more eggs, Circle is getting semi-regular visits with the Leggington crossbred group. Those girls wander so I can't really guarantee he'd be the father, but I can up his chances at least.

Main goal is to reproduce the broody traits Daisy carries by whatever means necessary. She's showing faint signs of broodiness at the moment, like screaming at other hens if they approach her nestbox while she's busy, and she's loudly complaining every time someone sits in "her" nestbox where she usually hatches. She also took about two hours to lay and spent 45 minutes after sitting on the eggs. A good sign, I hope, as she's healthy and active at all other times.

Marshmallow, however, is also frequenting the nestboxes outside of laying time and making extra visits just to just sit her fluffy butt on all those fake eggs. It is really amusing to see her lovingly tucking in a bunch of shiny, Lisa-Frank colored, plastic Easter eggs. But she is half Leghorn, skinny as a rail, and not very high in the pecking order. I doubt she could compete with someone higher rank, like Daisy, in a communal nest site. Not even sure how many eggs she could cover. But I'd let her take her shot if she chooses.

Fingers crossed SOMEONE decides to sit, soon! I really don't want to try integrating chicks without a momma hen to assist.

I'm waiting for a broody...the girls were keen on it last autumn, why not now? Probably because I have about 2 dozen eggs less than 7 days old, sitting on the kitchen table, in need of a Momma Hen.

I'm waiting for a broody...the girls were keen on it last autumn, why not now? Probably because I have about 2 dozen eggs less than 7 days old, sitting on the kitchen table, in need of a Momma Hen.
It is so frustrating... I'm probably going to buy more porcelain eggs just because they are a bit more convincing than the others. But I truly don't know how much if any difference it will make! The weather is improving so maybe that will help kick things off for us.

5/7 Updates:

Problem cockerel has been retired. No wonder he had attitude issues; the size of certain parts makes me think he was just testosterone crazed. And so young! Huge downer, but the flock is much more peaceful. He was quite bad for the dynamics here.

I've continued stalking my broody off and on, and have at least three of her eggs and a good guess at three or so more. She's gone from normal laying posture, to screaming at approaching hens but otherwise normal, to puffing and screaming when I touch her. Hopefully this isn't wishful thinking!

Before touch:
1000002178.jpg

Hey, what are you doing?
1000002183.jpg

Back OFF!!
1000002185.jpg

1000002187.jpg

The angry pinecone stance always makes me smile ❤️
1000002188.jpg

Waiting to see if she lays anything today (or maybe she already has, but I had to guess and her eggs are almost identical, of course, to her sisters')...

My neighbors free-range and warned me they've lost two ducks and at least as many chickens, likely to a fox. We're on high alert as a result.

Who got "retired", not Circle?
No, Circle is mellowing pretty nicely actually. My youngest cockerel was from the October? hatch, and really didn't look old enough to be causing the issues he was. Let me find a picture...

1000001408.jpg

He's the blonde/gold barnyard mix here, but was a month or two older than you see here. Ruthless with the poor hens; one still seems panicky and paranoid thanks to his relentless harassment. Hoping she settles down now that he's off the farm.

3/13 Broody Updates:

Daisy and Marshmallow are still working on their commitment issues, but I'm seeing a lot of nestbox hours logged and a lot of competitive screaming and fluffing. Marshmallow keeps getting moved around thanks to her low social status:

Daisy stole the favorite box today:
1000002262.jpg

Marshmallow is in the furthest box keeping a low profile:
1000002260.jpg

Because they kept periodically kicking out the fake eggs I supplied, I added old eggs from the recent overproduction we've been experiencing (marked as dummies) to fill two boxes and they happily sit on them all. I guess my hens are atypical, as I've read many times that any roundish object is enough to encourage sitting...

Any day now, right?!

3/22 Updates:

Daisy's relationship with Yorvir seems to be on the decline. I've seen her generally submit to him, just to get it over with, in past months. But suddenly now it's all Pepe Le Pew and that unfortunate black cat routine.

Baby Daisy (She's always had that thoughtful, slightly judgy expression):
e91ba36e-424e-4ead-9772-ab1787506a89-1_all_4583.jpg

All grown up:
e91ba36e-424e-4ead-9772-ab1787506a89-1_all_2994.jpg

All out chases, screaming, refusal to put her tail up even when he DOES catch her. She fluffs up as soon as she sees him look her direction from across the field, and he seems to take her visible dislike as a challenge that cannot go unanswered. She's taken to hiding in the coop sleeping area after particularly nasty encounters.

I hate it and I'm right pissed at Yorvir. I tried putting Daisy back with Rusty and her sisters, but she paced all day insteadof enjoying the reprieve. Refused to go to bed in that coop. Had to put her back into the main coop with Yorvir, and her antics with him continued the next day.

Well, this evening she went to bed on the nest full of dummy eggs in Yorvir's coop. Does she hate him just now because she's broody? Is she faking broodiness to avoid him?? Should I just try to remove her again?? No idea. If she doesn't keep sitting I'm gonna guess it's stress/avoidance behavior and I'll have to lock her up with Rusty's group a little while till she settles in. He couldn't force anyone if he tried so she'll get a complete break from all the drama. I just can't stand seeing her harassed.

Yorvir as a baby (look at all that white!):
e91ba36e-424e-4ead-9772-ab1787506a89-1_all_1842.jpg

Current times:
e91ba36e-424e-4ead-9772-ab1787506a89-1_all_23274.jpg

I'd assumed I should give up on her brooding just due to the stress. Only a few of her eggs are left, even if she is willing to try. Crazy chickens!!

She spent the night sitting and is still there now! She's now on 8; six almost definitely hers (but close to a month in age since I've been collecting so long), one unknown that she was already sitting on, and one very old one from Peaches, Rusty's daughter. This last egg would unite Rusty and Yorvir's genetic line if it actually hatches...
1000002364.jpg

Mood: You aren't awake, haven't had your coffee yet, and someone opens your East-facing blackout curtains to "help you wake up"

3/22 Updates:

Daisy's relationship with Yorvir seems to be on the decline. I've seen her generally submit to him, just to get it over with, in past months. But suddenly now it's all Pepe Le Pew and that unfortunate black cat routine.

Baby Daisy (She's always had that thoughtful, slightly judgy expression):
View attachment 3779178
All grown up:
View attachment 3779181

All out chases, screaming, refusal to put her tail up even when he DOES catch her. She fluffs up as soon as she sees him look her direction from across the field, and he seems to take her visible dislike as a challenge that cannot go unanswered. She's taken to hiding in the coop sleeping area after particularly nasty encounters.

I hate it and I'm right pissed at Yorvir. I tried putting Daisy back with Rusty and her sisters, but she paced all day insteadof enjoying the reprieve. Refused to go to bed in that coop. Had to put her back into the main coop with Yorvir, and her antics with him continued the next day.

Well, this evening she went to bed on the nest full of dummy eggs in Yorvir's coop. Does she hate him just now because she's broody? Is she faking broodiness to avoid him?? Should I just try to remove her again?? No idea. If she doesn't keep sitting I'm gonna guess it's stress/avoidance behavior and I'll have to lock her up with Rusty's group a little while till she settles in. He couldn't force anyone if he tried so she'll get a complete break from all the drama. I just can't stand seeing her harassed.

Yorvir as a baby (look at all that white!):
View attachment 3779182
Current times:
View attachment 3779183

I'd assumed I should give up on her brooding just due to the stress. Only a few of her eggs are left, even if she is willing to try. Crazy chickens!!
Yorvir is gorgeous.

Back
Top Bottom