The Evolution of Atlas: A Breeding (and Chat) Thread

I too am also looking for an old used truck. However it will be my first vehicle. Best of luck to your husband, the weather was nasty yesterday up here to. I don't know if you heard about the tanker truck on I-95 yesterday but that was scary. It sounds like your chickens are all nice and cozy being out of the elements.

I too am also looking for an old used truck. However it will be my first vehicle. Best of luck to your husband, the weather was nasty yesterday up here to. I don't know if you heard about the tanker truck on I-95 yesterday but that was scary. It sounds like your chickens are all nice and cozy being out of the elements.

No, I didn't hear about the tanker, haven't seen the news much this weekend. Two years ago, we sold a '94 Silverado 4x4 but it was rusting out underneath too badly, bolts rusted through, etc. Not that many miles on the rebuilt engine, but it was a real gas hog. I just want one that isn't a rust-bucket, is 4x4 and I can afford. I hate that the truly small trucks are not made anymore like the Ranger we used to have, the GMC Sonoma and Chevy S-10. The ones in the size I want are Dodge Dakota, Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon, but the new ones are about $40K, more than we paid for our first house, no way I have that much cash. And they all get sucky gas mileage. The small to mid-size SUVs get better mileage, overall. I want more comfy seats than the CRV-that is my only issue with it. It's awesome in every other way. My '96 Chevy Lumina LS sedan has the best seats, still supportive and comfortable and hard to find in any other vehicles I've tried out. It and my CRV get about the same gas mileage, though the CRV is a 2.4L v4 and the Lumina is a 3.1L v6.

Now, the outside temps are 39* and the inside of the barn is a balmy 49*. It does tend to stay about 10* warmer in there. I know Amanda's heat lamp and the reptile bulbs add a little bit to it but not that much with the high ceilings. Mostly, it's the body heat of the birds themselves, I'd say.

This is the truck I almost bought Friday-not the exact one but exactly like it, beige, very, very well-cared for, but the quad cab was a bit much, even with a shorter bed. It had a V8, also not what I wanted.

Last edited:
The tanker accident was horrible, he drove off a bridge and two people were killed. That truck looks very nice. I'm in the same boat as you pretty much, I'd prefer a small truck myself since anything else would be a waste. Perhaps the biggest thing for me is I need one with low mileage. Preferably around 110-130,000 miles.

The tanker accident was horrible, he drove off a bridge and two people were killed. That truck looks very nice. I'm in the same boat as you pretty much, I'd prefer a small truck myself since anything else would be a waste. Perhaps the biggest thing for me is I need one with low mileage. Preferably around 110-130,000 miles.

Oh, that's awful. Those tankers take a lot of folks with them unless the driver is a good stunt driver when things go out of control.

That truck has 135K on it. I had just looked at another Dakota the same day, same model year, with $150K, on a smaller lot. He wanted $7899, but it had some body damage and the engine was coated with a greasy film, something my husband always looks for. It had a bullet hole in the hood, too, LOL. So, the beige one was very well cared for, spotless, hardly any issues with paint, etc. The other one was black and though tempting (he said he'd knock $1000 off if we didn't want him to fix the few dents in it), I felt the other one at $8995 was a better buy and a better bet. BUT, again, too big, engine too powerful. I really didn't want a V8, though it has a smaller V8 than the Silverado and was a less heavy truck, too, so gas mileage should be slightly better, but not good enough for us to just want to drive it around for fun.

I wonder how that bullet hole got there..? Money for gas is going to be a huge problem for me if I were to get a bigger truck because I would drive everywhere I went. That part is completely understandable about having to big of a truck. Some of those new diesel trucks are big. Are you looking for a specific company or know of a company that you won't buy?

I wonder how that bullet hole got there..? Money for gas is going to be a huge problem for me if I were to get a bigger truck because I would drive everywhere I went. That part is completely understandable about having to big of a truck. Some of those new diesel trucks are big. Are you looking for a specific company or know of a company that you won't buy?

Not sure, really. I think all the big names make decent trucks, overall. I've never owned a Dodge or a Ford anything. We've had GM, mostly, with a few exceptions over the years, like the current Honda CRV. Of course, Honda engines have a great reputation for being long-lasting, but Honda makes only the Ridgeline, which is a rather large truck so not much choice there.

No idea about the bullet hole. It was straight down into the hood, not at an angle. I actually touched it to be sure it was not one of those fake stick-on ones you can buy, LOL. Nope, real.

My cousin has a ridgeline and really likes it. I might have considered it instead of my Edge, but they did not make them last year.
thumbsup.gif

Look at what we got yesterday! Not much of an addition to our chickens.... but these guys are sweet as a button. Old-spot x Blue-butt x 1/4 Wild Boar (I don't even want to imagine what what means...). Don't mean to hijack your thread, wanted to share some exciting news

Back
Top Bottom