The Evolution of Atlas: A Breeding (and Chat) Thread

I understand about losing the window with a line. That's a shame, because the pure Stukel line would have been perfect for him. In that case, Lizzie sounds like she might be your best bet for him.

What's wrong with mr. Cooper?
Well, as a name for a mortgage company, it's rather silly, IMO. It's not "Mr. Cooper Mortgage", it's just "Mr. Cooper", from what I gather.

I understand about losing the window with a line. That's a shame, because the pure Stukel line would have been perfect for him. In that case, Lizzie sounds like she might be your best bet for him.
That line is, IMO, the best of the best and I'd love to see what it would do combined with Hector. Atlas is 3/4 Stukel and 1/4 Delaware, so Lizzie, being the daughter of one of the pure Stukel hens, is even more Stukel than her sire. Her only true flaw is her wavy comb, no idea where that came from since none of the hens nor Atlas have one. I think she is my best one to put with Hector so by the time she is done with her chicks, MaryJo should also be large enough to go with Hector.

Sad news to report. I just lost my Dusty.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ors-in-our-flock.727211/page-20#post-18802743

I was headed back outside with aspirin to give Neela, who, in spite of her crippling arthritis, she tried her best to save Cora from Hector, Jr. this morning when I found Dusty. At first, I thought it was Neela laying there. Bless her heart. With Dusty gone, I have only Neela and Alice, my blue Rocks as my only solid blue girls left in the barn.

Here is a picture of Dusty after Suede died in 2012.

Last edited:
Sad news to report. I just lost my Dusty.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ors-in-our-flock.727211/page-20#post-18802743

I was headed back outside with aspirin to give Neela, who, in spite of her crippling arthritis, she tried her best to save Cora from Hector, Jr. this morning when I found Dusty. At first, I thought it was Neela laying there. Bless her heart. With Dusty gone, I have only Neela and Alice, my blue Rocks as my only solid blue girls left in the barn.

Here is a picture of Dusty after Suede died in 2012.
Oh so sorry to hear Dusty passed away! She had a good long life.

Poor Dusty. :(

But, she died while on her feet and bossing around the underlings, the best way to go for a hen of her stature. I prefer that to what else could have happened to her. She could be a mean old heffalump, but we loved her. Suede loved her and Xander loved her. She was my last Orpington.

The boys today. Someone needs a breeding BR rooster, surely someone wants to improve theirs, you'd think. Even paired with hatchery BR hens, improvement would happen over time adding one of these boys.
*we never got that roost removed, just too hot, maybe later in the year*

DSC04876.JPG
DSC04873.JPG

But, she died while on her feet and bossing around the underlings, the best way to go for a hen of her stature. I prefer that to what else could have happened to her. She could be a mean old heffalump, but we loved her. Suede loved her and Xander loved her. She was my last Orpington.
That's good, I like gentle passing too. No more Orpingtons, I don't know if I could live like that.

Back
Top Bottom