The Evolution of Atlas: A Breeding (and Chat) Thread

speckled, great minds thing alike. I learned my lesson. We looked at one place, and the woman had a good flock, which would go with the house if the new owner wanted them. They were a healthy, hardy flock, and she had a nice set up. I would have considered a quarantine period, and keeping them, then building additional coops, and runs for my current flock. The place was ok, but not like what I have now, so I'm glad they wanted too much for it, and we didn't get it.

We went to look at another place, and there were chickens all over the yard. There is just a "look" about birds that are not in optimum health. I warned Dh not to mess with the chickens. He listened, but again, they were running all over the yard. She began giving us the tour. When we got near the coop area, I did not like the looks of the set up, and by then I didn't like the looks of her birds. I declined going to the coop area. We continued talking about chickens, and she finally revealed her flock had recently been treated for Infectious Coryza.

Dh, not knowing much of anything about chickens, or chicken ailments balked when I told him we were going straight home, we were going to strip at the door before going inside, then he was going straight to the shower to bathe, and shampoo his hair. Fortunately, we wore tennis shoes, so our clothes and shoes went straight into the washer. I cleaned myself up, changed clothes, then went out to disinfect the vehicle. Fortunately, I keep Oxine on hand. I scrubbed the whole inside of that vehicle, and inside the trunk, as well as the outside. When all that dried, I sprayed it all down with Lysol. When I got done, I showered, and changed clothes again, putting the ones I wore while cleaning, in the washer with the others. They had already gone through 1 wash, but I added Oxine, and did them all over again. I washed them 3 full times before putting them in the dryer.

After that, I would not go look at any places that currently had any birds, or had them in the past 5 years. If there was an existing coop, no matter the age, I would not look at the place. There weren't that many, but there were 5 - 6 places we didn't go see because of it. I didn't know it then, but I was just waiting for this place to become available. Never any birds on it.

speckled, great minds thing alike. I learned my lesson. We looked at one place, and the woman had a good flock, which would go with the house if the new owner wanted them. They were a healthy, hardy flock, and she had a nice set up. I would have considered a quarantine period, and keeping them, then building additional coops, and runs for my current flock. The place was ok, but not like what I have now, so I'm glad they wanted too much for it, and we didn't get it.

We went to look at another place, and there were chickens all over the yard. There is just a "look" about birds that are not in optimum health. I warned Dh not to mess with the chickens. He listened, but again, they were running all over the yard. She began giving us the tour. When we got near the coop area, I did not like the looks of the set up, and by then I didn't like the looks of her birds. I declined going to the coop area. We continued talking about chickens, and she finally revealed her flock had recently been treated for Infectious Coryza.

Dh, not knowing much of anything about chickens, or chicken ailments balked when I told him we were going straight home, we were going to strip at the door before going inside, then he was going straight to the shower to bathe, and shampoo his hair. Fortunately, we wore tennis shoes, so our clothes and shoes went straight into the washer. I cleaned myself up, changed clothes, then went out to disinfect the vehicle. Fortunately, I keep Oxine on hand. I scrubbed the whole inside of that vehicle, and inside the trunk, as well as the outside. When all that dried, I sprayed it all down with Lysol. When I got done, I showered, and changed clothes again, putting the ones I wore while cleaning, in the washer with the others. They had already gone through 1 wash, but I added Oxine, and did them all over again. I washed them 3 full times before putting them in the dryer.

After that, I would not go look at any places that currently had any birds, or had them in the past 5 years. If there was an existing coop, no matter the age, I would not look at the place. There weren't that many, but there were 5 - 6 places we didn't go see because of it. I didn't know it then, but I was just waiting for this place to become available. Never any birds on it.
Good for you to disenfect but at least that is a treatable disease. What gets me about mareks is you really can’t even quarantine for it or treat it.

h2, I know you can't treat for it, and I'm so sorry you have to deal with it. Again, there is a light at the end of the tunnel, so don't despair. I'm sure the initial shock is a bit overwhelming, then the "where to go from here" thoughts, without being able to see any great options. Once you manage to work past all that, which takes time, it does get better, and there are some decent options available to you, that will give more positive results in the future.

Good for you to disenfect but at least that is a treatable disease. What gets me about mareks is you really can’t even quarantine for it or treat it.

Actually, you can't really treat for Coryza. Yes, you can, but it won't cure it. It is a carrier disease that will stay with the flock. If a place laid fallow, so to speak, for years and years, then if it had been there, it would likely have been killed off over time, though, so it's not quite as bad as Marek's in that sense.

I feel like I must say something again about the nature of vaccinations. Sometimes people misunderstand what vaccines can (and can't) do.

I think you are mistaking a vaccine, which is intended to decrease and prevent illness, for a treatment that completely prevents infection. There are very, very few vaccines that completely prevent infection, for example the rabies vaccine. The vast majority of vaccines only reduce illness, not prevent infection, as they help your immune system work more quickly and harder against the infection. They reduce clinical signs, and they reduce shedding of the infective organisms. It is not the vaccine itself that makes you better, or keeps you from getting sick, it is only assisting your immune system to do the work.
Unfortunately, there are some types of organisms that, once they get into your body, never leave. Your immune system cannot remove them, so no vaccine in the world will clear you of infection. Chickenpox is one of those as an example, and we know that you can still carry it years and years later, as it can return as shingles. Mareks is another one, as is feline coronavirus.

The vaccine that is available over-the-counter for backyard flocks will help increase immune response to Mareks, as it is based on a similar virus, the turkey strain of infection. I think it is very unlikely that exposure to the turkey strain will result in mutation of the chicken virus. It reduces clinical symptoms, so birds stay healthier, even if they are infected.

Thank you everyone. I have figured it was mareks from the beginning. Learning a lot about it. My other chickens seem fine but I realize they are all considered carriers. I will enjoy them and see what happens. I appreciate all the information.

Thank you everyone. I have figured it was mareks from the beginning. Learning a lot about it. My other chickens seem fine but I realize they are all considered carriers. I will enjoy them and see what happens. I appreciate all the information.

And of course, you can help other folks struggling with this issue better now. Hopefully, few will show symptoms in the future. Just build their immune systems as best you can, which to me, is the basis of health for chickens and us as well. :)

1mutts, no I'm not confusing what a vaccine is, and does. A vaccine is either a dead, or mostly dead form of the virus, administered in one, or several doses to get the immune system to create antibodies, thus building anywhere from partial to total resistance. The DPT, MMR, Polio vaccines, are good examples. They are called "closed" vaccines, and they work.

The Mareks vaccine, on the other hand, is not a "closed" vaccine, and considered a "leaky" vaccine. A leaky vaccine does little, if any good, and only provides money for the manufacturer. To add insult to injury, the only Mareks vaccine that has proven to be slightly, and I do mean slightly effective, is only available to very large industrial production farms.

This is a good read.
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/science/tthis-chicken-vaccine-makes-virus-dangerous

speckled, you are correct that there is no cure for Coryza. Once infected, the birds have it for life. There are some antibiotics, and a couple other things they can give to help with flare ups, and help manage symptoms, but there is no cure.

Actually vaccines that do not totally protect against disease will decrease both morbidity (illness) and mortality. Vaccination is both for an individual, to decrease their chances of illness, and for a population, by reducing disease spread among the individuals within it, reducing overall disease rates, and making all the individuals safer. That is why vaccinating one member of a group is so ineffective, as opposed to vaccinating all of them.

I have read the PBS article, and remain unconvinced that the person that wrote it understood what they were told.

I will say nothing further.

Back
Top Bottom