The fish tank thread.

my biocube 14 saltwater tank, my yellow tail damsel

Tanks on backyard chickens whats better than that? Nothing! They are my 2 loves! Here's my 75 gallon saltwater reef tank under 2 t247 ocean revive leds. Mostly zoas and LPS (my favorite) and a few SPS. I have a yellow tang, a potters angel, a neon dotty, 2 wyoming white clowns that host an rainbow bta, an exquisite wrasse (my fav) and a engineer goby, i have lots of invertebrates but my favorite would be my cleaner and harliquin shrimps! I just moved and bought a 150 gallon cube and ai prime leds that I can't wait to set up! I plan on getting more wrasse and tangs (wanting a powder blue and a purple) I've just been too busy with un packing, settling in and the many chicken adventures lol one day I'll get around to it and I'll post new pics!

Last edited:
Tanks on backyard chickens whats better than that? Nothing! They are my 2 loves! Here's my 75 gallon saltwater reef tank under 2 t247 ocean revive leds. Mostly zoas and LPS (my favorite) and a few SPS. I have a yellow tang, a chevron angel, a neon dotty, 2 wyoming white clowns that host an rainbow bta, an equisite wrasse (my fav) and a engineer goby, i have lots of invertebrates but my favorite would be my cleaner and harliquin shrimps! I just moved and bought a 150 gallon cube and ai prime leds that I can't wait to set up! I plan on getting more wrasse and tangs (wanting a powder blue and a purple) I've just been too busy with un packing, settling in and the many chicken adventures lol one day I'll get around to it and I'll post new pics!

Right?!? Both tanks and chickens are great. Unfortunately whenever I start working on one of the more often I start losing interest in the other. I have been balancing it pretty good lately. Beautiful tank!

Right?!? Both tanks and chickens are great. Unfortunately whenever I start working on one of the more often I start losing interest in the other. I have been balancing it pretty good lately.  Beautiful tank!
I know what you mean I've had a hard time with it too, but I'm getting better at it also. Thanks!

Last edited:
Amazing tank Teaton, I heard that saltwater tanks are really difficult to set up and maintain.
Thank you! I've been doing it since 07, ive had to learn alot and I definatly lost alot! And its expensive! Ive had mistakes cost me thousands! But once you get your water levels right as long as you do regular water changes and testing along with running proper equipment and having the right clean up crew it's easy. I spent a good 2 years just researching everything I could about the hobby and joining saltwater groups and pages and clubs and going to local meetings, before I felt like I had it all down, there is alot to it but it's not really that bad once you get the hang of it and the pay off is amazing!!! I love watching my corals and fish grow and finding new sponges or creatures in my live rock or sand, shoot most of the time id rather watch the tank than tv! My advise to anyone wanting to get into it is to research reaserch research! Join saltwater groups and forums like this one reef2reef is a good one and I like the reef tank too, start SMALL, i had a 30 gallon for 3 years befor i got my first big tank. Also reaserch your fish before you ever buy them, what do they eat, do they eat coral? do they eat fish? how big do they get? Alot of saltwater fish get way bigger than freshwater fish people buy them thinking there pretty but they don't realize that fish can get 2 ft big and won't stay in thier tank long! Also it can be hard finding fish you like that get along, live aquaria has a compatibility chart that's great. Another good one is Are they aggressive? I know it sounds like alot to have to research when buying a fish but some of these fish cost hundreds of dollars and you don't want to watch another fish eat a $300 bill belive me I've been there done it :( Never add anything to soon, a tank has to cycle for atleast 6 weeks before you can add a clean up crew, then longer for your first fish, then longer for the next fish and so on and so on until your tank builds up its own natural bioload. it's not like the tv show makes it out to be, stay with the 3 inches of fish per gallon rule/less if you keep corals, do not add coral for the first 6 months either, anemone 1 yr and it's important to NEVER skip out on a monthly water change, and to not use tap water, ro water only! Its alot to remember but belive me it's worth it!! I love my tank! -Heck I love all tanks, and the ocean, it's all cool!

Last edited:
@teatonThey're certainly beautiful to look at, but far too expensive and time consuming for me. If I ever got fish I think I would start out with a small cold-water tank, maybe just with a few Danios. You pushed through it, huh. You must really love fish keeping. I'm in awe of the seas; so much we don't know about them. And of course, they're full of stunning wildlife. :)

Back
Top Bottom