The Front Porch Swing

Happy Hump Day from my Front Porch! This is my happy place this Morning. The sun is coming out, birds are Chirping and I have Coffee
smile.png
pretty!!!!
I have coffee too. life is good.

So I think I have a chicken with Mareks. (as if the MG wasn't enough to deal with)
I have heard that it is everywhere and you just have to breed for resistance.
but this is my first time with it.
and I am so ticked...it is my favorite Dorking pullet, the one who has been my favorite from day one.
she is the sweetest thing ever.
I have her in my Jacuzzi tub...keeping her very isolated from everyone else.
Has anyone had any experience with Mareks? is it really everywhere? This seems so much worse than my completely asymptomatic MG.
I don't understand why people are so "no big deal" about it. I guess because there is an inoculation for it?
I am now convinced that the batch of dorkings/eggs that I got from this one source is genetically weak. The only two birds to have any symptoms at all from the MG were from that batch, they were the only ones that got sick and died from the coccidia and now this. All the chicks that I got from CPL and BM6 are fine and they have been with this group almost since hatch! all my other dorkings from other places are fine.

Mimi, your porch is very pretty!
big_smile.png

Laura and Meg, that sounds like it was fun!
Mary, your weekend sounds like it was a lot of fun, too! I live 4 1/2 hours from Chicago, but we have only driven through, never really visited Chicago.

We had a grocery shower last night for a young couple from our church that got married 2 1/2 weeks ago. They went to Chicago (by Amtrak) for 8 days. It is fun trying to think up creative gifts to give for a grocery shower. I gave them a 3-pound can of Maxwell House coffee and I had a Tupperware canister set that I gave them-I put a bag of chocolate chips in the smallest canister, a bag of brown sugar in the next, a bag of sugar and a bag of flour in each of the biggest canisters. I found the set at a garage sale earlier this year for $5-they are $40 new, and these were in perfect shape. My set has red lids, these had tan lids.
B00005S6IT.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

They got a lot of frozen meat (we all do our own butchering), my cousin gave them a huge basket with 4 dozen quart canning jars, the Ball Blue Book, canning funnel, jar lifter, magnetic wand, and a bunch of other canning supplies. My dad's cousin has a bulk food store, so she gave them a bunch of packages from her store. We all were supposed to give them a recipe card with one of our favorite recipes as well-I forgot to take mine, so I will give mine to her on Sunday at church.

We usually do a bridal shower for newlyweds, and then after the wedding we also do a grocery shower to get them started. Nobody lives together before they get married, and they are usually moving out of their parents' houses into their first home together, so it really helps them to get a good start. We all do a lot of canning, and use very little convenience foods-most food is home-made from scratch.

So I think I have a chicken with Mareks. (as if the MG wasn't enough to deal with)
and I am so ticked...it is my favorite Dorking pullet, the one who has been my favorite from day one.
Has anyone had any experience with Mareks? is it really everywhere? This seems so much worse than my completely asymptomatic MG.
I don't understand why people are so "no big deal" about it. I guess because there is an inoculation for it?
I am now convinced that the batch of dorkings/eggs that I got from this one source is genetically weak. The only two birds to have any symptoms at all from the MG were from that batch, they were the only ones that got sick and died from the coccidia and now this. All the chicks that I got from CPL and BM6 are fine and they have been with this group almost since hatch! all my other dorkings from other places are fine.
hugs.gif
I hope she makes it for you. I have never had any experience with it, so I cannot help at all.

Has anyone had any experience with Mareks?  is it really everywhere? This seems so much worse than my completely asymptomatic MG.

I don't understand why people are so "no big deal" about it.  I guess because there is an inoculation for it?
I am now convinced that the batch of dorkings/eggs that I got from this one source is genetically weak.  The only two birds to have any symptoms at all from the MG were from that batch, they were the only ones that got sick and died from the coccidia and now this.   All the chicks that I got from CPL and BM6 are fine and they have been with this group almost since hatch!  all my other dorkings from other places are fine.

aw hunny Im so sorry!! If your bird has Mareks your best bet is to put her down because she is shedding the virus. you cannot cure it and it just gets worse. It is everywhere and you can't see it. You can vaccinate for it BUT all it does is mask symptoms of the disease. Your birds can still get it even though they have been vaccinated-and they can spread it. It's a tough thing to deal with:(

I HAVE BUTTON QUAIL EGGS!!!!!

Really. :D I think I have two pair, too! I was thinking I had all boys, then found a site this morning that had better descriptions of sexes, so went to look at them and there was an egg. Actually, another one buried, but don't know if they are from the same bird or two different ones. Have spent the last hour separating out pairs, as they don't do well in groups as adults. So cool! Tiny little speckled eggs!

That is all.

Back
Top Bottom