The Front Porch Swing

Actually, I have the weeding almost completely finished, and the planting is all done finally. I am cheating and putting Preen down, because otherwise it WILL get away from me!
hide.gif
Preen doesn't take care of everything, but it definitely helps a lot.

Just acquired another cat and 7 more kittens tonight!
th.gif
A deaf lady stopped and asked if we knew anyone who would take them because her neighbors children were brats and already killed one kitten. They were just born last Saturday. She had a tablet she wrote everything on because I don't know sign language at all. She was thrilled when I told her we would take them and gave me a hug and told me she had been praying for someone to take them. She was sad to part with "Darla" the mother cat and I told her she could come get her when the kittens are older. She is a little shy, but a sweet cat. She is a black calico. The kittens are all colors! One is black/white, two are pure white, two are torties like the mother, and the other two look almost Siamese! I want to keep those two for sure! They are adorable!
love.gif

Wow! I love kittens, but I wish they didn't multiply so quickly. Now, if only chickens were that quick to multiply.
wink.png

Yes, kitty pictures!
caf.gif

Welcome to the porch!
frow.gif
Good to have you drop by!

I had the camera out this morning so took a couple of pictures of the outside of our porch. It is not a front porch, but a back porch. It is on the north east corner of our house, is screened in and has a glider, two chairs and an ottoman for lounging and bird watching. The lattice on the east side is to "block the view" from our neighbor's house into the porch. We can see out fine but it provides some privacy since the front of their house is north of the porch (we were here six years before they bought the property next door and built the house a year later). We planted trees to provide a "green screen" and they are now filling in the space nicely.

Things we see from the porch....
Elderberry bush in bloom, next to an 8 ft tree "stump" with a bird house my Dad built, to the north....and lots of grass and trees.

Goldfinch on the tube feeder....taking pictures through the screen is difficult.
You can see the neighbor's house in the lower right corner of this pic...

Climbing rose in garden to the east...

Milkweed blooming in garden near roses.....

It is a very relaxing, peaceful place......we are blessed.....

...and the chicken yard is east of the garden pictured so here is a gratuitous pic of the New Hampshire cockerel I hatched from eggs I got from Pauletta (202roosterlane)....

You have a gorgeous place!

I am wading through toy boxes and closets, under beds and into cabinets and junk drawers - for a month or two - setting things aside for a yard sale. So many decisions and memories. So much dust and dog hair (how DOES it get into toy boxes in the closet?) Never mind the Smarties, Ritz crackers, gumballs and stray fries. So many pieces scattered. I have three sons who, for the most part, are now not so interested in water guns and Nerf battles. We could hold our own against alien invaders armed with the Nerf weapons in this house and all manner of pocket knives, toy swords and light sabers- if I can only gather all the Nerf darts and Nerf balls into one ammo dump. And when we run out of darts I think we can probably hold off all comers by scattering our Lego blocks in a circular array around us that would probably cover a good five mile radius - let's just hope the invaders are barefoot in the dark - like I generally was all those times I was struck down by Legos. By the way these shady characters were found lurking in the bottom of the toy box having, apparently, fled Candyland some time ago.

yuckyuck.gif

usually I am not struck down by legos in the dark, but by massive sleeping dogs strewn all over the floor. it is like a furry lumpy minefield.

Sorry it took so long to get pics of the raised bed. And even so, I only took pics of one end. I had forgotten that hubby had ended up topping it with brick to make a better seating area. (It's hard for me to get in the garden). Anyway....

Pulled these out of it while I was out there.

Last edited:
Thank for the compliments on our place. We love it here!

Yum, Those look delicious! Tell your hubby he did a great job!
thumbsup.gif

So I started on my "Bambi blocker" for my beans that the deer bit the heads off of (some of them are trying to come back!) and I am pretty pleased with myself.

We were watching a history channel special on the ancient Jordanian city of Petra? and they showed one of those middle eastern market scenes. the market stalls had a sun cover that you always see in middle eastern market scenes. and I thought...I guess they fold up against the building when they aren't in use. then I thought...oh! I could do that for my Bambi net cover so I can get into the beds to weed! the beds are next to the goat fence, so I could use the fence to anchor it. I just use netting instead of fabric! I have done two of the 8'-0" beds and it is working great! so easy to open up and close again!

I wish I could find my friggin' camera so I could show you guys...cause I think I am being as clear as mud.

Hi, everyone! I hope you're all having a wonderful afternoon! It is HOT here. We're at the ballpark, but at least I'm sitting in front of a fan.

HOF - thank you for posting the pics. I love the beds! I am going to start putting together a supply list. :)

pysanki- I hope you post some pics later. I would love to be able to see that. I'm always looking for new ideas.

So I started on my "Bambi blocker"  for my beans that the deer bit the heads off of (some of them are trying to come back!)  and I am pretty pleased with myself. 

We were watching a history channel special on the ancient Jordanian city of Petra? and they showed one of those middle eastern market scenes. the market stalls had  a sun cover that you always see in middle eastern market scenes. and I thought...I guess they fold up against the building when they aren't in use.  then I thought...oh!  I could do that for my Bambi net cover so I can get into the beds to weed!  the beds are next to the goat fence, so I could use the fence to anchor it.  I just use netting instead of fabric!  I have done two of the 8'-0" beds and it is working great!  so easy to open up and close again!

I wish I could find my friggin' camera so I could show you guys...cause I think I am being as clear as mud.

Oh, that makes perfect sense! Like an awning!

Back
Top Bottom