The girls hated the oatmeal so what other foods for cold days?

Going Quackers

Crowing
12 Years
May 24, 2011
On, Canada
When we did a cold snap i thought i'd try some oatmeal, i put it out warm(not hot) but they never touched it.

so do i try again or is there something else that may appeal better?

Black Oil Sunflower Seeds. I get them at the feed store in 25 lb bag. Fill your jar half full of seeds (shell on). Fill with water, to the brim. Screw lid on. Let soak overnight, 8 hours or so. Drain in the morning. I use a strainer over the top, or you can get cheese cloth and a rubber band. Then leave the jar tipped at a 45 degree angle (idk why). Rinse and drain every morning and evening. They will sprout within a day or two. When the sprouts get big enough I store them in the frig.

I should also mention when I first started feeding BOSS (dry) the girls looked at me like 'where are the treats?' I had to put them in a feed pan by themselves for them to start recognizing them as a treat.

Here's a pic of them sprouted in the jar..

Last edited:
um, i have never baked fruit well, short of a pie how do you do that?
I take the seeds out first (core the fruit), put it on an oven-safe plate - then pour juice (usually apple juice or orange juice) into the area where the core was. I wrap aluminum foil around it and bake it at 350 for an hour. It's easy and a great 'human treat' too.
smile.png

1-2 cups of Cooked Oatmeal
1/4 cup Layer Crumble
1/4 cup Scratch
a handful of dried cranberries
a big ol dollop of plain Yogurt

Should have a kind of sticky crumbly granola texture
Served at 90-105 degrees.

Treats up to 10 hens

Some mornings I feel like I just might lose an eye for not putting the pan down fast enough for them.

Last edited:
When I give my girls their warm oatmeal, I add healing garlic and olive oil and I also add in a couple chopped hard boiled eggs, shells and all. They gobble it up quicker than anything. They didn't care for the plain oatmeal either, but when I add the rest, they can't get enough! Hope you try it. You might be surprised by the results.

LOL If you didn't know what the topic of this thread was a person would think your all trying to flavor your chickens up for the soup pot.

A little dash of garlic, pepper flakes, stuff them with some quinoa and oatmeal ..and pop them in the oven
lau.gif

Love it.

Back
Top Bottom