The Grass Really is Greener! Well my chickens thought so

black_dove2

Songster
Jun 27, 2017
Desert Hot Springs, California
So after watching 1 hen pacing on roost by my bedroom window for some time I saw her fly to the roof (shirt hop and flutter)

I went to investigate and found the two in the "patio" area. Fenced off to keeps dogs from a portion of the yard and a buffer zone between chicken run and dog area.

IMG_20171221_164031.jpg

Here they are running to get back in before it gets dark. They suddenly realized it was getting dusky out, lol

IMG_20171221_164042.jpg

I would love to see your photos of chicken escapades!

I don't have any pix except of the chickens.
My OEGH have the ability to take flight from ground up to the roof of my garage. Seen it when they got spooked by a dog.
My Golden Sebright , the day I brought her home (adult pullet) and tried to take her out of carrier, escaped on me. Flew on top of garage, then into tree, then higher into tree, then flew across street into another tree. Three days later , finally tracked her down as she went hiding in some brush overgrowth a few houses over. I named her Phantom. I clipped her wings then, just once. When wing feathers grew back, she was homeset and never tried to fly/escape away .

OEGH Silver Duckwing.
20150919133240.jpg

Phantom is top right snacking on the Honeydew.
P1010167.JPG

I don't have any pix except of the chickens.
My OEGH have the ability to take flight from ground up to the roof of my garage. Seen it when they got spooked by a dog.
My Golden Sebright , the day I brought her home (adult pullet) and tried to take her out of carrier, escaped on me. Flew on top of garage, then into tree, then higher into tree, then flew across street into another tree. Three days later , finally tracked her down as she went hiding in some brush overgrowth a few houses over. I named her Phantom. I clipped her wings then, just once. When wing feathers grew back, she was homeset and never tried to fly/escape away .

OEGH Silver Duckwing.
View attachment 1215291

Phantom is top right snacking on the Honeydew.
View attachment 1215295

They are so beautiful! That's too funny. I don't know where we got the idea chickens couldn't fly.. Glad you tracked her down and she settled into her new home.

My granddaughter told me there's a flock of chickens, hen and babies running around there neighborhood. They live in central Los Angeles proper!

And you really do have grass in your yard!

Back
Top Bottom