The Great Egg Shipping Experiment!

Pics
Thank you, Ki!

I appreciate your .02c! It is great to hear different people's experiences so that when you try your hand you can see all the possible outcomes, good and bad!

I, personally, was reluctant to order eggs because of all the horror stories I had heard. I now feel that if I need to hatch eggs from far off to get what I want, I will be prepared. No, I have not hatched any shipped eggs..........yet. I think this is the year for it, though!
wink.png

Does anyone else want to share their experiences? I see you lurking there.......join us!

Wisher shipped 18 eggs. All of them arrived intact!

They sat big end up for 5 days and then I turned on the turner. Tonight is day18 and 16 of them made it to lockdown!

I bet a bunch of them will hatch!

Last edited:
Seeing those dark eggs makes me miss my black copper maran hen =( I have bantam and duck eggs in my incubator currently. I am ordering my big incubator this week and cannot wait till it arrives :) We have also converted a plastic tote into a hatcher with a 75 - 90 watt bulb for the heat. We have to keep an eye on the temp, but the humidity level seems to stay at a nice consistent level. The chicks are pipping and doing well :) Very exciting watching them come out!
I am currently debating on the different breeds I want to add to my flock. I have rir's, buff orpington's, cornish and of course some various bantam's. I want to make sure I have a separate coop for my different breeds to be breed specific. Currently we have four coops.
Loved reading this thread, just took me a bit...lol

Seeing those dark eggs makes me miss my black copper maran hen =( I have bantam and duck eggs in my incubator currently. I am ordering my big incubator this week and cannot wait till it arrives :) We have also converted a plastic tote into a hatcher with a 75 - 90 watt bulb for the heat. We have to keep an eye on the temp, but the humidity level seems to stay at a nice consistent level. The chicks are pipping and doing well :) Very exciting watching them come out!
I am currently debating on the different breeds I want to add to my flock. I have rir's, buff orpington's, cornish and of course some various bantam's. I want to make sure I have a separate coop for my different breeds to be breed specific. Currently we have four coops.

Welcome AngieO we would love to see pic of your new incubator! And the new chicks too. I have one rir and she is so sweet yet very nosey, always underfoot wondering what I am doing and very talkative too.

pop.gif
Please post pictures!

Welcome, Angie! I'm so glad you joined us here. BYC is a great place for knowlege and fellowship. It feeds the addiction and saves your friends and family from having to suffer through endless chicken talk!
gig.gif

ETA: Okay Bama1, your eggs are packed and ready to mail out in the morning! I am not going to double box this bunch. The box they're in is sturdy and it is too big to fit in the bigger box I have. BTW, you're getting 16!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom