The Gun Thread

Pics
If you don't mind, why did he not want you carrying?
Long ago, he was slightly anti-gun, handguns, anyway. So when I got into shooting, he was a bit perturbed that I bought my first gun (.22 S&W revolver) without consulting him.

I also took several classes in armed and unarmed self defense. He was less than enthusiastic about it; I'm not sure why. He did not like the instructor (Massad Ayoob), but that didn't stop me.

The changes in the world, and random violence happening everywhere, has changed his mind, I think.

At one time we did have this (very common) exchange:

Why do you want to carry a gun? Do you think you're going to be attacked?

NO! If I thought I was going to be attacked, I wouldn't go, I'd stay home! But I always wear my seat belt, and that has probably saved my life on more than one occasion. Did I think I was going to get in an accident? No.

He couldn't disagree, as he ALWAYS wears his seatbelt.

Long ago, he was slightly anti-gun, handguns, anyway. So when I got into shooting, he was a bit perturbed that I bought my first gun (.22 S&W revolver) without consulting him.

I also took several classes in armed and unarmed self defense. He was less than enthusiastic about it; I'm not sure why. He did not like the instructor (Massad Ayoob), but that didn't stop me.

The changes in the world, and random violence happening everywhere, has changed his mind, I think.

NO! If I thought I was going to be attacked, I wouldn't go, I'd stay home! But I always wear my seat belt, and that has probably saved my life on more than one occasion. Did I think I was going to get in an accident? No.

Cool thanks. I'm just curious on other people's opinions and views whichever side of the debate they're on.

I like the way you put that. My one sister is very against guns. Won't even touch one🙄 And when she asks me if I think I'm gonna be attacked when I go out, now I can say something to her instead of my usual, "shut the f#@& up😁

You trained under Massad Ayoob! I am SO jealous.
I have been reading his stuff for decades.
His video series is sponsored by Wilson Combat, highly recomended.

Last edited:
1699838028233.png

If you can take any of his classes, I HIGHLY recommend them! MAG 40 would be the "one" I'd suggest, if you can only take one. It's about 60/40 lecture/shooting. It covers a LOT of legal ground, stuff that is critical to know if you're ever involved in a self defense shooting. He knows this topic forward, backward, side-to-side, unside down.

Yes, it's $1000. Yes, you have to bring your own ammo. And get a place to stay and provide your own meals.

And, yes, it is totally worth it.

He is probably the best lecturer I've ever listened to. He knows you're taking notes, and gives you time to write or type them. He also has an excellent speaking voice. (That kind of thing matters to me; I had some college profs who had horrid voices.)

Did my shooting improve? I was the "most improved shooter" in my class, so yeah.

He's also 75, so don't wait too long.

Back
Top Bottom