The Gun Thread

Pics
I won a gun at an IDPA match. Not by winning the match, but winning the raffle. It was a .40 cal, and that is one caliber that physically hurts me to shoot. So I did sell that one. But the rest of my guns go to people who will understand what they are worth, and not just monetary worth.
A friend shot my xd40 subcompact and said it was like an explosion in his hands. It's really snappy too

I dont really see any point in 10mm in subcompact other than trying to look cool. Too much recoil and very low capacity. So you got less shots for longer follow up.
My Glock 29 holds 10+1 and, though I wouldn't put it in my wife's dainty paws, I don't find it much rowdier than any of my subcompact 9's; it's snappy and loud, yes, but most of the powder is converted into a massive fireball rather than being transferred into kinetic energy.

My Glock 29 holds 10+1 and, though I wouldn't put it in my wife's dainty paws, I don't find it much rowdier than any of my subcompact 9's; it's snappy and loud, yes, but most of the powder is converted into a massive fireball rather than being transferred into kinetic energy.
How's about weight? I'd guess for the size it's quite heavy although being polymer I guess it could be worse

View attachment 3688260View attachment 3688261

I got a new airgun. Same model as my .308 but its in .357. From left to right are all airgun projectiles. .25 at 38 grains, .308 at 98 grains, .357 at 81 grains (the ballistic tipped pellet), .357 at 93 grains, and .45 at I think 300 grains but maybe heavier, I’ll have to find the box.
mind if i ask you a question on air guns?

am debating on maybe getting an airgun for my trapline/hunting furbearers. idea i have is they would deal less damage to the pelt then a powder burner?
targets would range from squirrel to coyotes/lynx.

my guess there is no single caliber that just fits my use case, (i got a .22 cal pumper, 25 cal pcp pistol both sub 500 fps to remain in legal laws here)

so am thinking of a rifle (no limit on power just can not be fully auto or silencers) any tips or tricks for some one looking in on this space?

thanks.

mind if i ask you a question on air guns?

am debating on maybe getting an airgun for my trapline/hunting furbearers. idea i have is they would deal less damage to the pelt then a powder burner?
targets would range from squirrel to coyotes/lynx.

my guess there is no single caliber that just fits my use case, (i got a .22 cal pumper, 25 cal pcp pistol both sub 500 fps to remain in legal laws here)

so am thinking of a rifle (no limit on power just can not be fully auto or silencers) any tips or tricks for some one looking in on this space?

thanks.
Edit: I read your post too fast. I see your already know what the kinds of airguns are. But I'll leave the reference for others.

First, understand that there are different kinds of airguns that are classified based on how they power the shot. You know what a pumper is, that's one that has an on-gun reservoir that is filled by an on-gun pump. There are also "springers" with are the kind you break apart in the manner of a single-shot rifle or double-barrel shotgun. Those are powered by either a spring or a piston that cocks during the break and releases during the trigger pull. The spring or piston releasing creates friction that heats the air inside the gun and launches the pellet.

The third kind is called a pre-charged pneumatic. It has an on-gun tank that fills to a high pressure, usually 3,000 or 4,500psi. Every time the gun is cocked and the trigger pulled, an internal valve released a puff of air that projects the pellet/bullet.

A PCP is what you want. They're head and shoulders more powerful and accurate than the other kinds. It's a shame you can't suppress it, as they really shine when they're properly suppressed. Without a suppressor, they're as loud as a firearm.

A .25 is about as all-purpose caliber you could want for furbearers. I have a .25 that's my beater air rifle that lives on my porch on a tripod. I grab it whenever there's a varmint in need of killing around the farmyard. I have it set to shoot 38 grain bullets in the 970s fps for 20-30 shots before significantly losing power. I could turn it up to shoot 60 grain HP bullets at this same speed for less shots, or to shoot light 25 grain pellets for far more shots in the same speed range. Even at the lower power levels, it will brain shoot any animal in the woods up to the size of a black bear out to 50 yards and at the higher power levels it can cleanly lung shoot coyotes to 100 yards.

I would recommend an Airforce Condor or an Escape in .25 Both are the same gun, just that the Escape is built in a lighter configuration for long-distance carry. The tradeoff is a smaller air tank and less full-powered shots per fill. But it (the Escape) would probably be right up your ally. You can also get different sub-models varied according to barrel length. All things being equal, a longer barrel in an airgun always gives you more power and less air usage per shot. Where you can't suppress your airgun, a longer barrel will also be a bit quieter. But the longer barrel is heavier and less maneuverable.

How much damage they'll do will depend on how you configure the power and what your projectile is. Most airgun projectiles are pure or near-pure lead. You'd want to go with a lead alloy that has some harder metals in it to have less deformation. The H&N Barracuda pellet in .25 deforms very little and consequently carries most of its energy through a target instead of dumping it inside.

Back
Top Bottom