The Gun Thread

Pics
your not the only one haha, i seemed to have to buy new scopes for my hunting guns and they are not cheap,

i like shooting iron sights but my best gun with iron sites happens to be a flintlock lol.

Good hunting scopes can cost as much, if not significantly more than the rifles they go on. I have been ruined by high quality glass for low light hunting. I have some cheaper scopes but for hunting, I want a good low light performer. I really like illuminated reticles too. My problem is, I like to hunt with several different rifles which leads me to want/need several higher end scopes.

Red dots will spoil you, won't they? They will also show you just how still, or not, you can hold your gun. :)
They sure will! My dad is 74 and he hated the red dots, at first. He either struggled to find the dot or complained about it jumping all over the place, lol. Over the last two years they have grown on him. He can center the dot up quicker now and he "deals with" the bouncing around. We shoot steel at 100yds with my buckmark and he really likes shooting it off a bag at those longer ranges.

I think my next pistol optic will be a holosun. They seem to be of decent quality. I've been extremely happy with the 1 moa RMR's and SRO but man those things aren't cheap.

I like iron sights too. Especially fiber optic front and blacked out rear target sights.

So true but you better be able to use those iron sights when SHTF and there are no batteries to be had.

That's for sure. I do need to stock up on some 2032's and some CR123s.
I built a M16A2 clone with a carry handle upper receiver, that's a fun plinker. I have back up irons on a couple other AR's too.

I have suppressor height tritium sights on my PDP and they co-witness through my RMR. Sometimes I leave the dot off and shoot through the RMR window with the irons for fun/practice.

So true but you better be able to use those iron sights when SHTF and there are no batteries to be had.
Yup. Both have their place.

I like dry firing my bullseye gun with the red dot. I can see just how still I hold, or not. And how smooth my trigger pull is, or not.

Then I get out my ball gun (iron sight .45 bullseye gun) and do the same exercise. I usually hold the ball gun more steady after that.

Yup. Both have their place.

I like dry firing my bullseye gun with the red dot. I can see just how still I hold, or not. And how smooth my trigger pull is, or not.

Then I get out my ball gun (iron sight .45 bullseye gun) and do the same exercise. I usually hold the ball gun more steady after that.
Few people understand the value of dry firing.

Speaking of dry fire, have yall seen the g-sight laser training cartridges? I have one in 9mm and its a great training aid. When you pull the trigger, the firing pin hits the back if the laser cartridge and it projects a laser on what your aiming at. You get dry fire practice and you get to see if you are actually hitting where you are aiming. There's an app on your phone that has a shot timer and can calculate your time and group size. I use that some, but mostly I just shoot random things on my wall during commercial breaks, lol...

Last edited:
Speaking of dry fire, have yall seen the g-sight laser training cartridges? I have one in 9mm and its a great training aid. When you pull the trigger, the firing pin hits the back if the laser cartridge and it projects a laser on what your aiming at. You get dry fire practice and you get to see if you are actually hitting where you are aiming. There's an app on your phone that has a shot timer and can calculate your time and group size. I use that some, but mostly I just shoot random things on my wall during commercial breaks, lol...

We had one of those in my girl's gun club. Pretty neat

1702564627112.png

1702564691132.png

I'm setting up a range at my parents property for Christmas. The rest of the steel targets came in today. I really like the detail on the raccoon and the bobcat flipper is pretty cool. When you hit the heart, it flips up above its back and flags red, so you know you hit it.

20231214_142647.jpg

20231214_143043.jpg

I'm going to set up the KYL rack (far right), a 12" sight in target (haven't bought yet), and the dove at 50yds. The 3"-2"-1" swinger, the rabbit, and a 6" plate will be set at 100yds. Then the Bobcat, raccoon, 12" plate, and 4"-3"-2" swinger will be set between 140-150yds. We primarily shoot off the back porch but I'm going to build a bench 50yds further back which will make this a 100, 150, and 200yd range from there.

My buddy's daughter shot her new rifle a couple times yesterday, but this will be pretty much exclusively a subsonic suppressed rimfire range...

Screenshot_20231214_163701_Video Player.jpg

I'm going to pick up a load of railroad crossties and I'll be using them for backstops. Most will be ~5ftx3ft and the 150/200yd will be taller, around 4-5ft high.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom