Littlesquare

In the Brooder
Jun 13, 2020
Hello! I've been on here not quite so long, but I feel like I've been asking so many question about my chickens, so I figured I'd join the discussion and introduce them to you! I also thought it would be nice to document our first flock so that we can come back and look at our starting point and progress later down the road.

A little background info:
We got our first flock in March from an aunt, who had owned chickens in the past but recently moved to a new town. They bought six chicks and two ducks and then promptly found out that the city ordinance did not allow them to have those chicks and ducks. So they gave us a call and my mother and I have always loved the idea of having chickens, but my father wasn't too hot on the idea because he didn't want to take care of them. But in the end, the decision was made and we were bird people! Our girls came to us when they were about 6.5 weeks old, so we missed the super baby chick phase. They grew up before our eyes, and soon we had a couple of White Pekin ducks, 2 ISA Browns, 2 Ameraucanas, a Barred Rock, and a RIR (who turned out to be a cockerel!). Eventually, we gave our ducks to a friend who had lots of water on her property and a bunch of ducks and peacocks for our two water friends to bond with since we couldn't provide that for them. But it turned out the move probably saved their lives, because two weeks later, a predator found a gap in our enclosure fence and took out our whole flock except for the two Ameraucanas. So we upped the security and made a few trips to bring home our new additions - 10 little baby chicks who we are learning how to raise and integrate! So without further ado - The Happy Hart Flock!

Nancy

Nancy is a 16 week old Ameraucana. Currently, she is the alpha hen since she's one of two big girls and the other is hurt, but I'm curious to see if she'll keep that position once all our girls are grown up! She's a very curious girl and likes to work her wings, but is not a fan of bees or loud noises. She also loves sitting on our shoulders, scratch grains, shiny rings, and talking up a storm.

image0.jpeg

Jo

Jo is our other surviving 16 week old Ameraucana. She was pretty seriously injured in the attack and lost an eye, and also has a large gash on her neck. But she's being treated for her injuries and is getting better every day! She's a fighter for certain and will definitely have the most interesting origin story! She grew a little beard, unlike her sister Nancy, which was pretty funny because we didn't knew they could do that. Jo loves cool, dark spaces and in her present state, being left alone to sleep and recuperate.

image3.jpeg

Duchess

Duchess is our new White Leghorn pullet. We think she might be a few days older than the rest of the young flock because she's a tad bit bigger than them. She is a girl who wants to explore the world and has made her way out of the brooding bin by herself already. We think she'll probably end up higher in the pecking order, but we'll see! Her name comes from Duchess the cat on Aristocats because of her color.

image12.jpeg

Queenie

Next up, we have Queenie, a week old Cinnamon Queen pullet. We weren't sure if she was a New Hampshire Red or a Cinnamon Queen when we first got her but some helpful folks on here chimed in to tell us. Queenie's name comes from the sister on Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them because we liked the name.

image11.jpeg

Margaret

Margaret "Maggie" is a week old New Hampshire Red pullet. Her and her sister Lucy were the ones we weren't sure were NHRs or Cinnamon Queens, but now we know! We identify her by her wings - she has longer wings with more black in them than her sister, which is liable to change, but as of now it's a good tell! Her name comes from Sandra Bullock's (one of my mom's favorite actresses) character in The Proposal - a family favorite.

image10.jpeg

Lucy

Lucy is Maggie's sister - one week old with short little black-infused wings. We're definitely hoping they'll keep their distinctive markings so we can tell them apart when they're older! Her name comes from Sandra Bullock's character in Two Weeks Notice, another of my mom and sister's favorite movies.

image9.jpeg

Ducky

Ducky is a Blue Plymouth Rock, one of the newer chicks, a few days younger than our yellow ones. We got Ducky, Spike, Shadowfax, and Mordor all when they were just a teeny bit younger than their flockmates. She's my younger sister's favorite chick because she fell alseep in her hand the first time she held her and named her Ducky (like from Pretty in Pink). We tell her apart from her sister because Ducky has more yellow on her face and also has a white beak with a single black dot on her nostril.

image7.jpeg

Spike

Spike is our other Blue Plymouth Rock pullet. I wasn't too keen on her name, but my older sister really wanted Spike because although Ducky's name originated from Pretty in Pink, it inspired memories of Ducky and Spike from Land Before Time when we were kids. So we gave them the best of both worlds and I still love my Spike. She has less yellow on her face and her beak is black as opposed to Ducky's white, so those will be pretty solid identifiers later, I think.

image8.jpeg

Gustav

Gustav "Goose" is our week old Golden Comet pullet. She is differentiated from her sister by her head, which has darker feathers. They might change as they grow their new feathers, but we think something else will present itself to help us out. Her name comes from the movie Why Him? (yes, my family really loves movies) in the form of the parkour-inspiring live-in friend. Particularly from the scene where James Franco is feeding his chickens and going "peeeeep peep peep peep peep peep", which my two younger siblings laugh hysterically at every time they watch it. The name was born from laughter, so what else can you ask for?

image6.jpeg

Gammy

Another The Proposal inspired name thanks to Betty White, our other Golden Comet chick is quite docile usually. She has lighter head feathers and we think one of them might develop darker spots on their beaks as they grow, so that's nice.

image5.jpeg

Shadowfax

Shadowfax is our week old Barred Rock pullet. Her identifying features come in the form of large splashes of yellow right beneath her eyes. She and her sister are the other two younger members of the flock, if only by a few days. They're just a little smaller than the rest and have short little wings and tiny little bodies. Shadowfax got her name from Gandalf's horse in Lord of the Rings, even though his horse is white (we thought it was a cool name for a dark chick).

image2.jpeg

The Black Fires of Mordor

So I feel like I should address the name first. We were spitballing names, seeing if anything stuck and trying to make out which chick was which when my mom jokingly threw out this "name" from Lord of the Rings. Except my older sister and I thought it would be hilarious (it is) and now we have a week old Barred Rock pullet nicknamed "Mordor." She's got little specks of yellow under her eyes, which is her main difference from her sister. Mordor is also practically growing her wings out overnight! When she came to us, she had little tufts of down feathers, but they are quickly shedding off in favor of her new feathers.

image4.jpeg

And that's our flock! We're trying to start integrating the little girls by leaving the brooding bin on the other side of a screen door from our two big girls, but we took them and put them in the enclosure coop for a little while so Nancy could check them out through the fencing. She was very curious and tried to peck at the wire a couple times, but nothing major. She and Queenie had a little stare-down before Queenie broke and ran for cover with her sisters. Here's a few pictures of the little girls in the coop and a very curious Nancy! Jo tried to get a good look, but she still hasn't adjusted to being able to see with only one eye, so she lost interest pretty quickly.
image2 - Copy.jpeg image3 - Copy.jpeg image0 - Copy.jpeg image4 - Copy.jpeg

Well, thanks for letting me brag about my little flock, until next time!

Today we repurposed some old wire refrigerator shelves to act as a “lid” so that they (Duchess) wouldn’t fly out because since the weather was nice, we left them out in the enclosure all day for some integration time! Nancy stalked around the bin for a good while like a shark, checking them out. Jo eyed them (as best she could) once or twice but mainly focused on her watermelon slice. Here’s chick-shark Nancy, circling very curiously around the little ones.
2DB4402E-7F38-4C5C-A112-2A843147C87D.jpeg EA4A76DC-F9B2-4AD7-808F-91E73FF0B93E.jpeg
Jo was really out and about today, which was good. Although she did try to stretch her leg out, lost her balance, and fell over - her equilibrium is still pretty off.

At the end of the day near roosting time, I was on our screened in back porch tying up a few loose ends because I’ve been cleaning today when I noticed Nancy pacing in front of the doors. Usually she does this when she’s curious or wants attention, so I opened the door thinking it was probably the chicks, but she flew up on my arm immediately. She talked for a few minutes but I put her back so she could roost - except she was very needy tonight and panting like she was stressed out, so my mom sat with her while I finished up. I put some scratch grains down for her and went looking for Jo and lo and behold she had flown up to the highest roost in the coop all by herself! I was very proud of her because it was the first she’d done this since the attack. Some of her feathers have started growing back too, so that’s good.

Our little girls continue to grow every day, they’re so much bigger than when we got them not even a week ago! Ducky, Spike, Shadowfax, and Mordor are working on getting the down out of their new wings. I put an old bird cage ladder in their bin to see if they would explore and have been working on some new additions to the enclosure for when they get old enough to be out there full-time - I’ve made a tunnel out of a scrap piece of hardware cloth and tarp and have been restoring an old wooden play horse barn, which has a duel purpose. It’s separated into two “stables” with sliding doors on each side. We’re planning on leaving one side of the doors open for the chicks to run to if they get bullied once they’re out, but also, the stables are perfect nesting box size! I’m really enjoying all the repurposing going on!

That’s about all for today, until next time!

I went out to handle the little girls and sit with the big girls today, and I am BLOWN AWAY by how fast those little chickies grow! They're growing their little tail feathers, and the little floofy booties are adorable. Queenie has started to get some of her brown feathers on her wings and Maggie and Lucy are really starting to show their color.
Here we have Queenie's wings and Gammy's little tail feathers, respectively.
image9 - Copy.jpeg image10 - Copy.jpeg

When I went out, I brought a small handful of mealworms for Nancy and Jo. They haven't ever been super into them before, but today Nancy couldn't get enough of them! Eventually, Jo came to investigate what kind of treats I had (after successfully streatching without falling over - yay!), and slowly approached. The only thing was that Nancy was not about to give up any treats and I had to keep chasing her away so that Jo could eat in peace. It started to rain soon after and the chicks' integration time was cut short, unfortunately.

We brought Jo in to treat her for her wounds, and Nancy didn’t like that at all. In fact, I’m pretty sure she tried to charge me when she noticed me bringing Jo to the door. We got her settled in and Nancy was so stressed out we left the door open for her if she wanted to come in. She hopped up on the door frame but then stopped. After we got Jo treated she immediately flew up onto my arm to check it out and was very happy to be back in the enclosure with her sister.

Last edited:
The Little Girls got new digs today! Since Duchess and Gammy will fly out and perch in the edge of the bin without those wire shelves in top, and they goop up their water with shavings and poo, we moved them into a higher bin that’s longer and separated a partition for their food and water that they have to jump over. Here’s the new bin:
82C175B0-DF96-4C32-BE5B-6F4EDF69BF2B.jpeg

I finally brought the refurbished barn into the coop and want to see how it holds up since there’s supposed to be rain the next few days. Here’s the barn and the tunnel in the enclosure so that the big girls get used to them:
8331BD0A-CF4B-4F0D-B767-A9963949DF7D.jpeg
And finally, here’s Nancy hopped up onto my arm to say hello!
680BA4ED-EEEC-4209-BFB6-267E7855AC02.jpeg
Next time I’ll tell you about our coop situation, since that’s a bit of a longer story!

Back
Top Bottom