Pics

Blooie

Team Spina Bifida
9 Years
Feb 25, 2014
Northwestern Wyoming
My Coop
My Coop
Welcome to the Hummingbird Page. I have loved these little stinkers for years. Thanks to their visits, my yard has been certified as a "National Wildlife Habitat" by the National Wildlife Federation. Here you are welcome to share your photos, videos, and stories of these little miracles. In my yard I am blessed with Broadtailed, Rufous, Calliope, and BlackChinned.

Just remember these few things:

Behave yourself! All BYC rules apply to this page just as they do on all others. Although I can't see any reason for disagreement on this thread, rudeness or trolling will not be tolerated but will be reported.

Any photos and videos you post MUST BE YOUR OWN, taken by you or a family member. That means no swiping from the internet. The one exception to that rule is if we are discussing something highly unusual. In that case, post a link to the page with photos, videos or stories, but you may not take the photos off that page and post them unless you are prepared to give full credit to the original photographer. Hummingbirds can be notoriously difficult to photograph, and the folks who took those pictures have every right to have their efforts respected just as you do.

Whenever possible, post your photo with identification of the hummer. This can be difficult, because females and juveniles look similar in many varieties, and in areas where territories overlap trying to figure out which bird is at your feeder or flower ain't always easy!

Ready, set, GO!

Female Rufous
Taken near sunset with a Canon Rebel EOS T2i. The camera came with a telephoto lens but it doesn't have image stablization so I set up my tripod and used a remote shutter to prevent camera shake.

Last edited:
48A3FE6B-B4DB-4BF6-8C3E-C5B9CA2B805B.jpeg

36185185-2B7D-4840-94FD-5B06C4B97FEF.jpeg

95C8CE20-8CEA-49D1-ADF3-DD5469DF9F18.jpeg

I’m afraid this year may be a bust for me. We all know they return to familiar places. Year after year I’ve hung a red tablecloth on the clothesline in late March, along with a scout feeder. But this fall we built a new house on our lot, with a totally different configuration from the old single wide mobile home we did have. And I have no clothesline so I’m going to have to get creative. We have no lawn, no flowers…just bare dirt from all the construction surrounding the new house.

I did demand (and get) a decent front porch with amazing views of the Big Horn Mountains, but there’s no wood on it screw in a hook for my main feeder. Oh, there are rafters for the roof, but I hesitate to screw through the vinyl ceiling covering them. Looks like there will be a lot of shepherd’s hooks surrounding the porch if I want to hang plants and feeders.

This will be a fun thread to subscribe to, thanks Blooie!

We get some hummers at our feeder but I'm not quick enough or equipped enough to get good pictures. I'll just enjoy everyone else's!
I thought another thing that might be fun is for folks to share their tips and techniques for taking pictures of hummers. I'll bet you'd have some pictures before too much time at all! Maybe whenever possible we should also list what camera we were using at the time. What do you think?

My first pictures were so much fun! This one was taken with a little Fuji point 'n shoot camera. I had to crop the heck out of it to even see him on there!
barnie.gif

I will be following this thread. I love hummingbirds. I fed them religiously when I lived in Waterloo. I moved here and hung my feeders, and to my surprise, none showed up!
If you hang it, they will come! Took me forever! I saw one once, ran to Cody and got a feeder, came home, filled it,and never saw him again. So that fall I took the feeder down, cleaned it, wrapped it, and put it away. Next summer, boom! A hummingbird! Got out the feeder, rinsed it well, hung it, and never saw him again. <sigh> Forgot to even take the darn feeder down! Third year I saw one at the empty, dried up feeder. I grabbed that feeder, brought it in, cleaned it well, filled it, and he ate from it as I was carrying it out to hang.

Before I knew it I was keeping 11 feeders going all summer!!

@WVduckchick Something like that would be so much fun! When I got my certification for providing a Wildlife Habitat, they sent a press release to our local newspaper. The owner/editor is a good friend of ours (I also write a political column for his paper) and he sent a reporter out. Brad did a pretty good job - messed up a few quotes but other than that it was a fairly nice article. But after that I kept running into people who said, "I've never seen a hummingbird here!" or "I didn't even know we had hummingbirds this far north!" Before I even knew what happened, it seemed like every yard in Cowley was sporting at least one hummingbird feeder and the population at my house dwindled significantly. You know, that's okay. It picked up the next year, and so did the hummingbird traffic throughout the entire town.

Well we had to shop today at the hometown dollar store and it turned into a rescue mission on a hummingbird stuck flying between the two sets of sliding doors. I asked employees if they had a net and about that time another lady grabbed a pool noodle and we both had pool noodles gently herding the little gal. I tried to get her to sit on it, but eventually she landed in the window and a tall gentleman grabbed it and released outside. Nothing says crazy hummingbird lady like dropping your shopping trip and helping another lady with a pool noodle to try and save a hummer. :D I remember how they used to get trapped in the barn growing up and I didn't want to see the poor thing stay there.

Back
Top Bottom