The Hummingbird Haven

Pics
Blooie, I bet you can put a feeder out and still have guests. Looks like there are some good trees around and they'll enjoy that cover and perching place. Maybe you can make them some little swings - if someone around has a handy mind, you can make a T out of some treated wood then screw some eyelet hooks or c hooks into it and hand some perch swings and maybe an insect bag. Something to attract some bugs for them?

I get so jealous of folks who get to enjoy hummingbirds all year long! Up here we have such a short season for them. Glad to have you join us, Jed!
Thanks for the welcome. We have cold winters here, sometimes. I am not sure how Anna's survive when everything is frozen and all flowers are dead. I think they depend on feeders.

When I was taking care of baby female ruby*-throated hummingbird that we had rescued a few years ago, I would run out into my yard chasing and catching tiny flying insects to mix into a lidded cup that was half full of sugar water in order for her to get to eat every 15-20 mins while she was awake during the daytime. This went on for 2 weeks. I would use a small coffee stirring straw to suck up the sugar water and bugs, then I would hold one end of the straw up with my index finger to keep the sugar water and bug mix in and then I would feed it to her. Sometimes she would open her beak up wide like all nesting baby birds do and other times she would just stick her whole beak into the straw to lick it clean.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I was taking care of baby female red-throated hummingbird that we had rescued a few years ago, I would run out into my yard chasing and catching tiny flying insects to mix into a lidded cup that was half full of sugar water in order for her to get to eat every 15-20 mins while she was awake during the daytime. This went on for 2 weeks. I would use a small coffee stirring straw to suck up the sugar water and bugs, then I would hold one end of the straw up with my index finger to keep the sugar water and bug mix in and then I would feed it to her. Sometimes she would open her beak up wide like all nesting baby birds do and other times she would just stick her whole beak into the straw to lick it clean.
This was before I had any syringe feeders on hand so it was kind of chaotic but it worked. I probably looked like a crazy madwoman if anyone saw me chasing after bugs with a cup.
:gig

Back
Top Bottom