The Hummingbird Haven

Pics
@rosemarythyme - I believe the solution at that amount was meant to help prevent it from freezing if I am not mistaken.

That'd make sense as well. :) Thankfully sugar solution at the usual 4:1 ratio already has a slightly lower freezing point, so it pretty much stayed liquid from after lunch on, so I stopped swapping out the feeders. But this is why I keep extra feeders on hand - much easier than trying to thaw them out in weather like this.

I wanted to share something I was sent about the feeders during this cold, freezing weather!

hummercold.png

I've always used 1.25 cups vs 1 cup for my winter mix. Only had 3 stay around this winter. Had 6 last year.

I don't get a lot that stay in winter, maybe 2 or 3 at best. Some years it might only be 1, sitting on top of the willow tree. Sounds like 2 at least this year, since I can hear them zooming around one another. One was waiting for someone to clear off the light dusting of snow on the feeder yesterday (I could hear it behind me as I blew off the snow) and it was feeding as soon as I put it down.

@rosemarythyme - The individual I talked to said the 3:1 ratio has a lower freezing temp, but also provides more energy for hummers and other birds that drink nectar. You're doing great by having some ready to swap out!
Thanks for the info, I'll increase the sugar ratio from now on for winter time!

Back
Top Bottom