The Hummingbird Haven

Pics
Thanks for resurrecting this thread - it sorta went to sleep for awhile. I think we all posted enthusiastically while we had visitors, then when the little critters moved on for the season we just moved on too, until next time!

It's early here yet, so we don't have any at the moment. The scout feeders are up and the red tablecloth is on the clothesline, so any time now. The wildflowers up on the mountains are putting on their most spectacular show in years, so the hummers are still up there enjoying the mountain air and abundant flowers and bugs. I don't anticipate seeing any for another week or so here.

I get Rufus, Black Chinned, Calliope, and Broadtailed. They are hard to photograph, that's for sure! I usually put a plastic butterfly on the feeder that's easiest to see from my deck, set up my camera to focus on that, then take the butterfly down. That way the camera is set on the feeder already. Of course, half the time the little stinker decides to use a feeding port opposite the one I've focused on, so the challenge is still there. I also figured out how to set my camera so it doesn't shut itself off after so many minutes and invested $22 in a remote shutter so I don't accidentally jostle the camera when the shutter is pressed. I don't have fancy equipment - just a Canon digital and a tripod. But my favorite shot ever was taken through a window screen with a Fuji Point and Shoot.

I'd love to see your shots....far away, a little blurry, or perfect Audubon Society quality, makes no difference to me! I love 'em all!

IMG_1174.jpg
OK Blooie, this is not a hummingbird but a South African Sunbird (I think, I'll check with her when I next talk to her) on my sister's birdbath in South Africa a couple of years ago. Behaves very similarly to a hummer but there are none on the African continent. I took this with my sisters camera and her ENORMOUS lens. I think he looks like he is doing some kind of Japanese fan dance:love. I will try to get some of the hummers here.

@oregonkat - Hey there! I have been offline for a bit so I just got to reply to this! We only have ruby-throats in our area so far. I've seen a total of maybe 3 males (one juvenile) and at least 5 separate females. We have a youngster, not sure the gender, with a deformed or injured bill as well. I'll post some photos soon!

@Blooie - Good to see you back here! Hope those little stinkers return to your feeders sometime soon. Hoping for migrating visitors starting mid-July if the weather is right.

Thanks for posting your photos. I'm still waiting......and waiting....not a hummer one here yet. This is unusual for this time of year and my patience is wearing a little thin.

That little dude with the deformed bill looks pretty strong and healthy for the difficulties he must face! Reminds me a little of my granddaughter Kendra and her "git 'er dun" attitude.

@TwoCrows - Whoa- that's alot of hummers and nectar! I really enjoy these photos!

I've got 4 feeders going now. Some years I need to hang 6 feeders and have had somewhere around 100 hummers. Last year I was making 1 1/2 gallons a day through Sept. 1st! I LOVE these little feathered friends. :love Wish I could get better photos, I'm not that good at taking pics and the hummers are too fast! :D

Anticipation is building....a friend who lives about 30 miles south of us had her first Rufous this morning, so any day now!

@TwoCrows You sound busier I am when they are here in full force, and I get the same varieties that you do. I have 11 feeders going some years. I just love these little guys! I never get the huge numbers at one time that you do, though. I'd go crazy trying to get pictures if I had that many....wouldn't know where to focus! As it is some days I get the camera out, park my hiney on the deck, and am afraid to move away from my spot because I know the minute I'm not in my spot that hummer-shot-of-a-lifetime will be here and gone while I was making a tuna sandwich. <sigh> One time Ken came out and asked me, "Where's dinner?" I said, "It's in the phone book."

Back
Top Bottom