The Hummingbird Haven

Pics
@Blooie - Heya! Have you seen any more hummingbirds since your first visitor?

She flits in so fast, and then she's gone! For years I've been able to mess with my camera or reach over and pick up my soda and they didn't even stir. They'd investigate me (you haven't lived until you've had a hummingbird tongue up your nostril) and would feed out a feeder while I was carrying it out. They were thick out here. This year I have just the little female and a juvie male Rufus, and they are so skittish I can't even move when they're feeding. So I'm gonna call this year a hummingbird fail. <sigh>

Great photos, @oregonkat

The only hummingbird I have seen this year is the one I picked up off the floor of the barn and threw away. :hit The poor thing must have seen the red ATV, flew in there and got trapped. Last year I had to chase 2 of them out of the barn and one out of the garage so they wouldn't get stuck in there and die. They like the red ATVs so I try to keep them covered up. I guess I need to put up my feeder so they leave the ATVs alone.

The neighbor has a feeder and loves to watch her hummers. I am worried I would draw them away from her windows if I started feeding also.

However, we have had a bumper crop of Monarch butterflies (and caterpillar) in our field this year. I haven't found any in the cocoon yet, but they must be out there. I also haven't taken the time to search either.

Happy National Hummingbird Day!
P.S. The company Perky Pet has a free Perky-Pet Pinch-Waist Glass Hummingbird Feeder on orders over $50 today using code HBDAYFREE50

Here are two of our little buddies enjoying the feeders. The second photo is interesting- we had a problem with ants and decided to relocate the feeder. It is hanging from our homemade fleshing beam for anyone interested (for cleaning raw hides in the tanning process) that hasn't been used since Winter. They love the change of location.

THUMBNAILS

DSCN2818.JPG DSCN2802.JPG

Back
Top Bottom