The Incubation Stats Thread

Here's my notes for this current hatch... that way I'll keep track.

Breed incubated: Sizzle and Delawares
Number of eggs set: 12, six each
Incubator used: Darthbator - homemade mini fridge
Date set: Around the 16th of October
Date locked down: Not yet.
Number of eggs locked down, and reason for any eggs tossed prior to lock-down:
Temperature: 99.5 to 100.2
Humidity: 35%
How many turns per day: Three times.
Special circumstances

Your location and climate: Eastern Tennessee
Hatch result/rate:
Any pertinent extra details: None

Breed incubated: Silkie
Number of eggs set: 14, Shipped from PA to CA
Incubator used: R-Com 20
Date set: 29 October 2009
Date locked down: 16 November 2009
Number of eggs locked down, and reason for any eggs tossed prior to lock-down: 5 locked down, 8 tossed on day 14
hit.gif
clears & quitters; 1 blew up on day 10, had weird shadows on arrival I now suspect were a broken yolk.
Temperature: 99.5 for first 17 days, 99 for last two, 95 for 2 days after complete hatch (it worked fine as a brooder with only 4 chicks)
Humidity: 45% for first 17, 67% for last two
How many turns per day: Every 55 min
Special circumstances (power outage, temp spike/dip, etc etc): candling on arrival; 3 air cells are mobile but intact, the rest I couldn't make out
Your location and climate: 70 miles North of San Fransisco; 38-78 Fahrenheit, typical fall weather, humidity 50-80%
Hatch result/rate: 28.5%
Any pertinent extra details: egg weights on weight watcher scale are 38-48gm, ~10% weight loss at day 14.

1 question: egg shipper said if air cells loose, to rest eggs for 30 hours and leave turner off for 1st 3 days. Should I?
idunno.gif
(I did-but they rested in the house....~70 degrees)

edited 04Nov to add; candled at 7D->3 clear but not removed...11 with veining, including 2 with one long vein that looks like it could be part of a blood ring. Keeping a close watch. Some air cells still mobile.
added 17Nov a chick!
jumpy.gif
pip to hatch about 3 hours. Crashing into the rest, maybe they'll join us soon. So hard to leave that lid locked down! (can you tell this is my first bator hatch?)
added 18Nov 4th chick out at 1600. Gave up on last egg next day after no movement on candling for two days.

Second hatch...
Breed incubated: Silkie
Number of eggs set: 18, Shipped from PA to CA (bought 61, shared 36 with someone near with more bator space; 7 to broody in barn, 18 to Rcom)
Date set: 23 November 2009
Date locked down: 12 December 2009
Number of eggs locked down, and reason for any eggs tossed prior to lock-down: 11 locked down, 7 clears tossed, on day 18. [4 locked down with broody (3 of hers were clear).]
Temperature: 99.5 for first 17 days, 99 for last two, 95 for 2 days after complete hatch (it worked fine as a brooder with only 4 chicks)
Humidity: 45% for first 17, 67% for last two
How many turns per day: Every 55 min
Special circumstances (power outage, temp spike/dip, etc etc): candling on arrival; 3 air cells are mobile but intact, the rest I couldn't make out
Your location and climate: 70 miles North of San Fransisco; 38-78 Fahrenheit, humidity 35-80% Bator located on kitchen counter (no room anywhere else in home).
Hatch result/rate: 10 in bator (56%)14 total chicks, moved broody & her 4 (57%) chicks into brooder overnight, then let her out and off she went! 56% overall hatch rate. MeH!
Any pertinent extra details: no candling til day 10. Let rest 24 hours /p arrival, no turning for first 2 days. Recandled at lockdown. Paper towels under eggs at lockdown.

ETA:14th chick had splayed leg at hatch, splinted with bandaid, was improving til about day 7, then steadily worse, leg was over 90 degrees out at hip & she was miserable so we had to put her down. I still wonder if it was a dislocated hip and fixable
hit.gif

Last edited:
Breed incubated: BCM
Number of eggs set: 6 (shipped from Georgia to Ohio)
Incubator used: Hova-bator 2362 (no turner)
Date set: 23 October 2009
Date locked down: Nov.13 2009 @5:30pm
Number of eggs locked down, and reason for any eggs tossed prior to lock-down:
Temperature: plan is... 99.5 for first 17 days, 99 for last two
Humidity: plan is...45-55 for first 17, 68% for last two
How many turns per day: at least 3
Special circumstances (power outage, temp spike/dip, etc etc):
?
Hatch result/rate:
Any pertinent extra details:
Will fill in rest later

Breed incubated: Light sussex and unknown
Number of eggs set: 18 (12 light sussex and 6 eggs from the commissary)
Incubator used: R-Com 20 Pro
Date set: 31 October 2009 @ 2000 for the sussex and 01 Nov @ 0800 for the unknowns
Date locked down: 17 October 2009 @ 1500
Number of eggs locked down, and reason for any eggs tossed prior to lock-down: 11 locked down. 6 grocery store eggs were infertile, as well as one sussex egg.
Temperature: 99.5 for first 17 days; 99 after lock-down
Humidity: 40%; 62% after lockdown
How many turns per day: Every 55 mins for first 17 days
Special circumstances (power outage, temp spike/dip, etc etc): None
Your location and climate: East of England, temperate maritime (40%-50% humidity)
Hatch result/rate: 100%, 11 of 11 hatched
Any pertinent extra details: Locked them down a day early.

~Cherlyn

Last edited:
/bump
hoping for an answer on whether to leave in the dividers in the universal egg tray
hu.gif
I don't want them to roll around too easily, but don't want to restrict them either. With only 5 eggs left they each have their own 'channel'
ty
smile.png

yes please sticky this thread! I had to dig to find it and I think it would help everyone! I would add ship & receipt dates, travel distance, & lay dates if available too. I want to test whether fresh laid eggs do better.

Breed incubated: Black split lavender Orpington shipped 12/29 from CT, arrived to CA in 42 hours!
Number of eggs set: 16
Date set: 1 January 2010 @ 1800
Date locked down: 18 January @1800
Number of eggs locked down, and reason for any eggs tossed prior to lock-down: 1 locked down, 14 clear, 1 bloodring.
Temperature: 99.5 for first 17 days, 99 for last two
Humidity: 45% for first 17, 65% for last two
How many turns per day: Every 55 mins
Special circumstances (power outage, temp spike/dip, etc etc): shipping box & eggs stank of cigarette smoke, very well packed but one egg had a slit like hole in small end that had leaked a bit (air pressure crack in airmail?) I sealed it and put it in but it stayed clear.
Your location and climate: Northern Calif, cold, but eggs likely colder on trip here.
Hatch result/rate: .0625% hatch rate
Any *pertinent extra details: singleton chick is spoiled rotten & loves to ride around on my shoulder. She concedes to sit on the goat's back while I milk. She's happy alone in the brooder with a *mirror.

Last edited:
Quote:
I agree.

I will need to keep better records, though, to do this.

I say, our friend from Indonesia, I am interested in what an Arabic chicken would be? Egyptian Fyumi (Now I know I spelled that wrong.)

My daughter has been to Egypt several times and speaks Arabic, and so that is why I wondered. Thanks.

Catherine

Breed incubated: 10 Partridge Penedesenca, 3 Wellsummer, 3 Light Brahma, 3 BCM shipped 1/26 from Arkansas, arrived 1/30, added 1 of my own Barnevelders, & 4 SilverPhoenix' Seramas carried home from Stockton show.
Number of eggs set: 24 yes it was tight for the first 18 days but they all turned nicely when the turned moved.
Date set: 31 January 2010
Date locked down: 17 Feb 2010
Number of eggs locked down, and reason for any eggs tossed prior to lock-down: 19 locked down, 4 clear with loose air cells (1BCM, 3 PP), 1 10 day quitter (PP), 1 early quitter (WS). None tossed til lockdown 'just in case', except one with a crack I had sealed in case it could make it.
Temperature: 99.5 for first 17 days, 99 for last two
Humidity: 45% for first 17, 65% for last two (dropped to 35 around day 10 after advice to run marans at lower %, then gradually increased to 65 after day 18)
How many turns per day: Every 55 mins from day 3 to day 18
Special circumstances (power outage, temp spike/dip, etc etc):
Your location and climate: Northern Calif, 35-79 Fahrenheit, avg 40-50. Rain & shine.
smile.png

Hatch result/rate: 13/24 54%
hmm.png

Any pertinent extra details: Dark eggs impossible to see through. the clears I tossed were a bit lighter so I could see. I use a cyclops flashlight that shines through my hand.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom