The Incubator Thread

Will these 15 Hatch?I had given away two of my three Silkies ,Havoc a wild type silkie mix rooster and Skittles a partridge silkie hen to a friend of my family,this Tuesday he called my mother and he had said skittles was killed by a fox but she left behind a clutch of 15 which she had been setting a while.we came to pick up those eggs and put them into our incubator which if the do hatch we will give some back.Even though the ride home wasn't that bumpy,they were cool to the touch is there a chance they will survive.this isn't the first time I've dealt with an incubator,after all I have 24 chickens currently.

Will these 15 Hatch?I had given away two of my three Silkies ,Havoc a wild type silkie mix rooster and Skittles a partridge silkie hen to a friend of my family,this Tuesday he called my mother and he had said skittles was killed by a fox but she left behind a clutch of 15 which she had been setting a while.we came to pick up those eggs and put them into our incubator which if the do hatch we will give some back.Even though the ride home wasn't that bumpy,they were cool to the touch is there a chance they will survive.this isn't the first time I've dealt with an incubator,after all I have 24 chickens currently.
I have heard of them being cold and still hatching. I think a lot depends on what stage they are at and how long the were cold. You have nothing to lose so I would just put them the bator as soon as you can. Are you able to candle them?

I can't candle them,they are supposedly two weeks but im not taking any chances,I do fear for them because everyone of her last broods died ,one minute they were perfectly healthy the next ....I haven't successfully raised silkies out of the bator before,I've raised some Easteregger mixes from it before,but I usually let the hens hatch them out but none of our hens are broody and I do not have another silkie hen...and I guess your right that I have nothing to lose but I've already lost her I don't want to lose what is left of her. But maybe just maybe I wasn't too late to save them.

I can't candle them,they are supposedly two weeks but im not taking any chances,I do fear for them because everyone of her last broods died ,one minute they were perfectly healthy the next ....I haven't successfully raised silkies out of the bator before,I've raised some Easteregger mixes from it before,but I usually let the hens hatch them out but none of our hens are broody and I do not have another silkie hen...and I guess your right that I have nothing to lose but I've already lost her I don't want to lose what is left of her. But maybe just maybe I wasn't too late to save them.

I haven;t had silkies so I'm not familiar with their care. Not sure why they would need anything different. Might just have been something with that one clutch. I hope these hatch for you. Please let us know!

Yes usually if a regular chicken egg can fit in it so can a bantam egg can fit.i have used mine with Easter eggers and silkies(a type of bantam)good luck :)

I have this one too. Yes...I would remove the egg turner at lockdown. No...do not remove the wire. I did cover my wire with the rubber shelf liner so they can have a softer surface but still get good traction. This also makes it easier to clean after. I move the eggs to a paper egg carton on half of the bator space and let them hatch in that. I give the hatched chicks the other half and have even put in a cardboard barrier held in place with toothpicks.
X2 For that type of incubator

Last edited:
Guess what everyone! I heard two different peeps from eggs so maybe by tommorrow I will have little silkie mixes!im so happy this isnt my first batch but it gets me everytime, does anyone have an idea of what color they could be?
I would post some pics of the parents but Im not sure how.the dad is a Easter egger/New Hampshire red/silkie mix hes wild type.Their mom is a partridge silkie.

Last edited:
Guess what everyone! I heard two different peeps from eggs so maybe by tommorrow I will have little silkie mixes!im so happy this isnt my first batch but it gets me everytime, does anyone have an idea of what color they could be?
I would post some pics of the parents but Im not sure how.the dad is a Easter egger/New Hampshire red/silkie mix hes wild type.Their mom is a partridge silkie.
Congrats, probably yellow and some chipmunky

Back
Top Bottom