The Incubator Thread

Nor am I debating. merely stating what some folks do. Impressive hatches, BTW!!
I totally agree----I am not debating either---If it works for them----then Do what works best. People that hatch 20% every time needs to Learn---it ain't working---Gotta do something different-----to get different results for sure. Still interested in why Slordaz took those out the turner that early? Maybe she/he will answer the question?

Last edited:
I mostly like fancy birds, but fancy ones don't lay as well, so I have a broody on 5 eggs EE/leghorns, 7 RIR, and a isbar/australorp in incubator. the incubated ones were from the fridge.

I am still turning them just manually, some of the eggs on day 14 were not looking so good and putting them down they are doing better now, was more of an auto response as thatss the position they are in under the hen. So far it seems to be working though, movement is seen in the eggs that didn't look to be doing so well, lost 1 more egg and will look at it tomorrow to see if I can figure out what went wrong but the other 2 that were questionable saw marked improvement by changing their position, start lock down Thursday morning, most are on spot looks like for air sac do have 2 that are different breed and have hardly any air sac at this point and have almost filled the egg shell. They are the buff Orpingtons eggs.

hi guys
I have 4 fertile eggs (out of 6 eggs) in my bator at the moment and they go into lock down in 2 days. I'm doing the dry incubation method and have done It about 3 or 4 times but I've forgotten what to do at lockdown. how much water do you add and do you stop turning them?

Thanks for any help :)

I am still turning them just manually, some of the eggs on day 14 were not looking so good and putting them down they are doing better now, was more of an auto response as thatss the position they are in under the hen. So far it seems to be working though, movement is seen in the eggs that didn't look to be doing so well, lost 1 more egg and will look at it tomorrow to see if I can figure out what went wrong but the other 2 that were questionable saw marked improvement by changing their position, start lock down Thursday morning, most are on spot looks like for air sac do have 2 that are different breed and have hardly any air sac at this point and have almost filled the egg shell. They are the buff Orpingtons eggs.
I personally do not feel them standing up causes a problem, well it does not here for sure. One time I had some in the turner in a styrofoam incubator----I did not check my book until their 20th day----I had almost 1000 staggered set eggs going in 5 incubators---guess I got side tracked---LOL. Anyway, I was afraid to take them out the turner and lay them on their side---knowing they had already positioned themself to hatch---several were already pipped. I could have left them in the turner with it cut off, but I did not want my turner to get "dirty" from them hatching. I quickly and gently placed them in egg carton flats/trays, removed the turner, added warm water to bring up the humidity, closed the incubator------all hatched but one. One other time I had added 24 eggs to a cabinet----for some reason I did not write them down in my book-----keep in mind they were added to a cabinet that probably had 250+ eggs already in it and there were other cabinets with eggs as well as 1 or 2 styrofoams. Anyway 21/22/23/24(who knows) days later I walked in and heard chicks above all the fan noise from 2 cabinets but none were due to hatch by my book. I opened the cabinet---the floor was loaded with pretty dry chicks---I got them in a brooder quick them came back and pulled the tray out they were in----all had hatched but 2 eggs and those were clear/unfertile----checked the dates on the unhatched eggs---yep forgot to write them down 3 weeks + earlier. Again, them standing up and being turned did not affect the hatch, But it did affect the bottom of that incubator---alot of poop cleaning----I had never hatched in the cabinet incubators---they are normanally candled and moved to the hatcher on day 18. Good Luck!

Last edited:
hi guys
I have 4 fertile eggs (out of 6 eggs) in my bator at the moment and they go into lock down in 2 days. I'm doing the dry incubation method and have done It about 3 or 4 times but I've forgotten what to do at lockdown. how much water do you add and do you stop turning them?

Thanks for any help :)
I believe lockdown is 70%-75% but I am sure the pros will pipe in. Good luck on your hatch.

Back
Top Bottom