The Incubator Thread

I wouldn't go past a Brinsea or a R-com if you are looking for a new incubator. comes down to what you can afford at the time.
We have had our R-com about 5 years now and is still working very well,very easy to clean out ready for the next lot of eggs to incubate

hi everyone,
im a newbie to incubating and I have just gotten a Janoel 12 incubator (so excited) so I just set my incubator about 15 mins ago at 27.8*C (100*F) with 5 eggs, 1 silkie, 2 white leghorns and 2 Isa browns
I just went to check on them and the eggs are kinda sweating, is this ok??
thanks for any help and please feel free to tell me any points and tips

I'm not really sure why your eggs are sweating. Did you put eggs that where cool (from icebox) and place them in a warm incubator? If so that's why they are sweating. Most people will set there eggs out in room temperature (71°) for at least 8 hours before placing them inside their incubator. What's you humidity reading? Should be around 40-50% for first 18 days ( at least that's where in keep mind). And no they shouldn't sweat when placed inside your incubator.

Last edited:
I agree with chickkrzi. Let them set out for even 12-24 hours. 8 may work, too. Now, is your incubator on Celsius mode right now? 100*F is 37.7. Make certain that is correct for sure!! I just hatched from a janoel, and I had very uneven heating, even with a fan in there. Rotate the eggs frm middle to outer edges once a day so your hatch will not be staggered over a few days like mine. I'd even have it on 37.8-38*C next hatch as mine were late and some underdeveloped too. Good luck and keep us in the loop!! Would love to hear about your results with your janoel!!

Hi I am new to incubating, my hubby borrowed his brothers Little Giant still air incubator. I was wanting to purchase a nicer one but he said we needed to try this one. My problem is I have run the LG for 2 days adjusting the temp as needed to stay consistently at 101*F. Today I added my collected egg. Immediately the temp dropped to 94.5, each time I check on it the little heater light is off. I had it calibrated to run steady at 101, does anyone have a idea why is it fluctuating so much?

Hi I am new to incubating, my hubby borrowed his brothers Little Giant still air incubator. I was wanting to purchase a nicer one but he said we needed to try this one. My problem is I have run the LG for 2 days adjusting the temp as needed to stay consistently at 101*F. Today I added my collected egg. Immediately the temp dropped to 94.5, each time I check on it the little heater light is off. I had it calibrated to run steady at 101, does anyone have a idea why is it fluctuating so much?

Hi and welcome, might be best if you can start here. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/601352/little-giant-incubator-tricks/1000_50

Is a form for tricks on LG incubators. You can read the hole thing or start at 1003 and read till the end. Lots of people there to help you out.

I want to try & hatch eggs in may...researching incubators & think I want a Brinsea 20...whats the difference between the eco with auto turning tray & the advance other than price if I get the eco & auto turner isn't it the same as getting the advance at a much lower price?
Also is it better to use an auto turner or turn them by hand? Does one have a higher hatch rate than the other?

Back
Top Bottom