The Incubator Thread

Hello chicken lovers! I am going to be hatching my first set of eggs! I'm very excited ! I'm coming to day 4 of the proses, but there is one thing on my mind at the moment, I hear a lot of people saying that the incubator should be in the house, but I have mine in my outdoor shed made of brick not just a wooden shed at the end of the garden, the temp in my house is not much different it's about 15.5 DEGREES I live in South UK, do you think this is going to be a problem?

Thanks any help would be great i am
A starter and always open to advise
smile.png
I definitely recommend keeping your incubator in the house. The idea behind incubating your eggs indoors is that the temperature won't fluctuate from day to night as much as it would outside. This makes the temperature inside your incubator more steady which generally leads to a better hatch. Have you found the temperature in your incubator spiking really high while in the shed?

Hello. Quick question. I have my eggs in my incubator.. Next week I'll be on lockdown phase. But I added about 7 additional eggs at a later date.
Question is. Will my 7 eggs get affected my the lock down humidity ? I'm not sure what to do. Any help or suggestions will help .. I only have one incubator.

Can somebody help me? I have about 20 eggs ready to go into lockdown tonight. I was wondering what the temp and humidity should be? It's my first time incubating. Thanks

We get those questions a lot. There are several other brands of incubators to choose from. The Brinsea models tend to be the higher end, more expensive brand. I personally recommend the Hovabator models which you can find here. We offer a 1 year hassle free guarantee, so if there are any problems you can send it back (with or without the box) and receive a refund or a replacement. Hope this helps and good luck!

I can vouch for that. I had a hygrometer/thermometer I bought from Incubator Warehouse just under 1 year ago this month. It started giving me inaccurate humidity readings (much lower than they should have been). I contacted customer support yesterday and today they are shipping me out a replacement! I hope it gets here in time for my next batch (which happen to be in a Brinsea Octagon 20 Advance right now).

Hello. Quick question. I have my eggs in my incubator.. Next week I'll be on lockdown phase. But I added about 7 additional eggs at a later date.
Question is. Will my 7 eggs get affected my the lock down humidity ? I'm not sure what to do. Any help or suggestions will help .. I only have one incubator.

That is one of the problems with staggered hatched unless you have a second incubator you can move them too for lockdown. The higher humidity can cause some problems with eggs due to hatch later. It can reduce the amount of oxygen available to the developing fetus. Are you able to put a divider in and keep the humidity higher on the hatching side?

At this point, unless you can get your hands on an other incubator... beg, borrow, or steal (not really) or make one, or buy one... you're committed to the current situation. If you have success with your later set, please be sure to pop back on and let us know how it went. You might even start a separate thread so other folks can report their positive and negative experiences. Some birds do continual staggered hatches through their entire breeding season, so it's not impossible.

Back
Top Bottom