The Incubator Thread

The bleach didn't work either. It's clean but still has a horrible smell. Anyone have any ideas on what I can use for the smell? 

What about a pet Oder remover... One of the enzyme based ones. Or 1 part hydrogen peroxide, 1 part baking soda, 2 parts water and a few drops of soap. Or an antibacterial essential oil :/
The last one may leave residue that could be hard on the chicks...
Last ditch effort, things that work for skunk smell ;)

Hi! I just bought a used GQF incubator...everything on it works great but it is very dirty...& it STINKS!! How should I go about cleaning this beauty? It even has some dobber nests in it...any info would be greatly appreciated...:)
I always put mine in the bath tub and scrub it with deluded bleach or disinfectant wipes.

Thank you both. I tried the bleach. Can't fit it in my tub though. lol Idk bout essential oils. You're right, residue might do something to the chicks. I'm afraid this smell might do something as well. :/ I have a bowl of baking soda in there now to try to absorb the stench but it doesn't seem to be doing very much .

I thought I was done for the season but lost a roo. I had a hen sitting on 3 little green Isbar eggs I thought he had fertilized but it is getting cold out. I am bringing them in for the last 11 days.

(below is my very last incubator I hatched from these are not the eggs)

I am going to use the little blue box, and put it inside the styrofoam leaving the top of the styrophom off. the stryrofoam is just to keep drafts out. My little cardboard boxes work well enough but can get drafty.

I hope I get an Isbar roo from this

this box bator is for small batch of chicks.

I have a cardboard box 8''x9''x10'' tall.a slit down the short side in back for cord/clamp of lamp. I put it in a foam box inside measurements are 9''x10'' with 2'' surrounding.

I put down thick foil- or if you lose the clamp there is room for the protective metal lamp cover and foil. It is hard to see on this pic but foil goes up the wall of the box. clamp and cord is out side of box to keep it still. light should be on one end of box centered not touching box.. bulb of lamp is 7w summer. but I will still test it for heat.I went with an 11w on this batch. everyone's house is diff. I had to pull box away from outside wall as well.

I now have skewers in box to hold up egg basket. it is on opposite side of box than lamp. 2 '' lower than top of box.

place basket on skewers basket has walls on all sides but is not taller than box, or shorter than box.

I make bird quilts. I did go thinner quilt than this one. the thickness can effect the heat. but you can put a small washcloth on basket.

I put the lid on it is slightly larger than the box, I don't take the lid off, I open the flap on the lid.
I put my thermometer on top of my eggs after testing the temp on my design. (please note the foam lid is not used.) I dry hatch. even though I live in a desert it works better for me. I add water at first pip.

Last edited:
Hi! I just bought a used GQF incubator...everything on it works great but it is very dirty...& it STINKS!! How should I go about cleaning this beauty? It even has some dobber nests in it...any info would be greatly appreciated...:)
I would say if none of the things you've tried have made any difference in the smell, that there is probably something icky somewhere that you aren't getting to it. I'd suggest removing and dismantling everything you possibly can (all parts you are sure you can get back together the way they were, that is), and thoroughly clean in every nook and cranny you can get exposed. Maybe use an old toothbrush to get into cracks and crevices better. I hope you can get it clean and destinkified for use. Good luck!

Thanks everyone for the ideas. It still stinks but I had to set it up for a hatch. I think it will be ok for the eggs, but when this hatch is over, this sucker is getting torn apart & cleaned thoroughly. :)

Thanks everyone for the ideas. It still stinks but I had to set it up for a hatch. I think it will be ok for the eggs, but when this hatch is over, this sucker is getting torn apart & cleaned thoroughly. :)
Yes, clean it up nicely!!!
wink.png

due on Tues. it got cold so I brought the eggs in after a hen sat on them for 9days? another hen kept pushing her of the nest. so I don't know how well these will hatch. Blue Isbar eggs.

Back
Top Bottom